Social Media Camp 2013 and West Coast Social Media Awards

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 01:29 PM

Social Media Camp goes June 8 & 9 this year. It's the third straight year for the event, and they are expecting as many as 800 attendees for 2012.

In conjunction, the West Coast Social Media Awards take place on Friday the 8th.

VibrantVictoria is nominated for "Community Builder" and I ❤ Downtown Victoria is nominated for "Best Facebook Page"

Feel free to vote and look over the categories here at the VOTING PAGE.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 10:00 AM

The other sites on the community builder are not even close to VV yet they are pushing their numbers up somehow.

If every VV member went on and voted once we would be in first. I hope that the voting is only part of the score.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#3 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 10:25 AM

Yes, it's bizarre how many votes relatively small websites are receiving but the votes are indeed only one part of final selection process. Remember that you can vote once every 24 hours.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4 David Bratzer

David Bratzer
  • 516 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 10:30 AM

The other sites on the community builder are not even close to VV yet they are pushing their numbers up somehow.

What are you implying?

#5 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 12:11 PM

If every VV member went on and voted once we would be in first. I hope that the voting is only part of the score.

Well, most people have a few hundred Facebook friends too, or big e-mail lists.

Yes, the voting is just to select the finalists (up to 5 in each category). Judges will take over after the 14th.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#6 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 12:21 PM

What are you implying?

I am implying that the vote is not truly representative of each website's actually contribution toward the actual function of building a community. I have had a look at the websites and fail to see how most of them could even be nominated in this category. I am not saying they are bad websites just perhaps in the wrong place. This leads me to assume that those voting are voting because they have a relationship with the company versus actually believing that the site is representative of the category, which I might add VV is a shining example of.

It has a whole new look!

#7 Robb

Robb
  • 188 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 12:54 PM

Site_________________Alexa ranking__Currently polling
vibrantvictoria.ca________598,278____#4
harbourliving.ca__________651,908____#5
theorem.ca______________692,375____#1
figureground.ca_________2,828,558____#2
socialmediaissimple.com_10,461,732_____#3

#8 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 01:01 PM

Cool, so VV is a quite a bit more trafficked than the #1 spot (nearly 10x the votes) and beats out all other sites using that metric.

Alexa Ranking, for those who do not know, attempts to rank the world's websites in terms of their traffic. The lower the number, the more people visit the site. VV's ranking of 598,278 means the site is the 598,278th busiest website in the world. Next up is Harbourliving.ca, the 651,908th busiest, and so on.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#9 David Bratzer

David Bratzer
  • 516 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 07:43 PM

I am implying that the vote is not truly representative of each website's actually contribution toward the actual function of building a community. I have had a look at the websites and fail to see how most of them could even be nominated in this category. I am not saying they are bad websites just perhaps in the wrong place. This leads me to assume that those voting are voting because they have a relationship with the company versus actually believing that the site is representative of the category, which I might add VV is a shining example of.

Theorem.ca, which is leading right now, provides hosting services for a number of clubs, non-profits and organizations. That sounds like community building to me. The site has been around five years longer than vibrantvictoria.ca, and a lot of people want to recognize Dan Pollock for his efforts over the past decade:

https://www.facebook...57458027636404/

I'm supporting theorem.ca for the Community Builder Award and I ❤ Downtown Victoria for Best Facebook Page.

#10 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 06:55 AM

Fair enough. Perhaps in my mind not as clear a link.

It has a whole new look!

#11 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 07:09 AM

theorem also made a gadget that reminds people to vote each day, automatically. That's cool.

#12 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 07:29 AM

I'm not sure hosting sites across the country qualifies as community building as I would define it, but like with all things, there's usually more to it than just what we see on the surface.

Prior to the nomination I wasn't even aware of Dan's efforts. Good for him for doing what he does.

Know it all.

#13 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 09:19 AM

I heart Downtown Victoria is looking pretty strong. Nice work VHF.

#14 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 03:05 PM

Voting seems to have been halted, not sure why. Voting was to have ended at 12noon tomorrow.

You may vote once every 24 hours per IP address (please don’t try to cheat – we’ll catch you and tell your mom) in each category, until Noon on May 14, 2012.

http://westcoastsoci...rds.com/voting/

#15 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 06:02 PM

Yeah, strange. VV ended up in a solid 4th and was gaining on #3, probably would have surpassed it had voting continued.

Know it all.

#16 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 08:41 AM

It's back up and running, just until noon presumably.
\

#17 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 01:50 PM

We understand the top-5 in each category are moving forward, so VV is through to the finals.

#18 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 07:46 AM

Facebook is up $6 in early trading.

#19 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 09:40 AM

Zuckerberg is now the 23rd richest person on the planet.

#20 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 10:32 AM

Facebook is up $6 in early trading.

...and back down again the starting price of $38. I think this is one of the most prudently priced IPO's of any technology company. If they shot up, Facebook stock was undervalued. If they shot down, Facebook stock was overvalued. If it sticks to $38, it's right on the money.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users