Photo

[Downtown Victoria] The 834 | Condos | 40.7m | 14-storeys | Built - completed in 2011

• Please log in to reply
799 replies to this topic

#21 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 11:41 AM

It'd be nice if they could work another townhouse or two into the Johnson Street facade.

So no commercial space? How do we feel about replacing commercial space with residential only?

#22 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 11:53 AM

I personally think that a good residential ground floor is just as enticing as commercial. The key is townhouses in my opinion.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#23 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,171 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 12:23 PM

I like the townhouse element of this proposal and it's precisely the type of housing that section of Johnson needs. In several years once this and other projects connect the street together retail will make sense, but for now lets get eyes and ears and feet on those sidewalks!

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#24 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,396 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 12:35 PM

Not a bad proposal and quite reminiscent of the Corazon (and about the same scale). I hope it gets the green light, as it is needed in that block.

#25 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 03:51 PM

You know what I'd really like to see? I'd like to see lowrise residential buildings with townhouses along the sidewalk on all of the various parking lots in the old town. Wouldn't that be great?

#26 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 11:31 AM

Reminder that this meeting is tonight at 7 pm.

All DRA members, neighbours and members of the general public are encouraged to attend to view the proposal and talk to the developer.

#27 m0nkyman

m0nkyman
  • 729 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 11:43 AM

And where is the meeting?

#28 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 12:32 PM

The former Peacock Billiards hall, 834 Johnson.

#29 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 10:49 PM

Here is the model:

There will be a green wall along the east facade covering up that blank wall.

#30 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 06:46 AM

I would like to see a more detailed look at the ground level but it seems improved with the face of the townhouses pulled out more and the garage entrance not as gaping as it was in the drawings. I am hoping this is indicative of the design and not just a massing thiing. Those penthouse units look pretty cool!

It has a whole new look!

#31 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 08:04 AM

I see they've shortened the podium by taking one storey off and adding it to the tower. It looks well proportioned.

Also, it appears like a giant cyclorama is being planned to straddle Yates St. in the second photo. Cool.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#32 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 09:09 AM

Darn. I was hoping that was a futuristic new public library (sponsored by 3M).

#33 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 10:54 AM

It would be great if Chard went for a third tower on the corner of Quadra and Johnston, Though I beleive that with the Victoria Conservatory across the street he would have to go lower.

It has a whole new look!

#34 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,171 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 11:05 AM

Too bad Councillor Chandler will complain this tower will be around too long and destroy everything that makes Victoria Victoria.

I've been pleasantly surprised with Chard's developments and welcome future projects he may propose. It would be nice, however, to see another architect (current architect is Musson Cattell of Vancouver) design his fourth project and give the three Corazon-esque towers some breathing room.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#35 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 04:37 PM

I like it! It's bigger than I thought. What's its chances? Also how could I get in touch with mr. Chard?
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#36 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,396 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 11:17 PM

I am really liking these mid-size in-fill projects. This increase in population density can only make downtown a better place.

#37 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 11:54 PM

That's exactly the propaganda those skyscraper fanboys want you to believe!

Don't you realize this building is nearly twice as dense as the city deems proper?!

Don't you see how this monster will destroy tourism and the magic qualities of 800 block Johnson Street that make Victoria so unique and appealing?!
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#38 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,396 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 12:27 AM

My apologies, I had forgotten the billions in revenue generated from the influx of tourists who come to see our vacant billiard halls and surface parking lots. Please forgive me.

#39 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 11:43 AM

I'm just glad to see they aren't planning to build any taller than that ugly Telus communications tower thing. That means there will still be plenty of fine views to be had of that ugly Telus communications tower thing. The tourists should be pleased about that. We all know how much the tourists love that ugly Telus communications tower thing.

#40 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 01:34 PM

We should set up a view-cone to protect it.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users