Photo

[Downtown Victoria] The 834 | Condos | 40.7m | 14-storeys | Built - completed in 2011

• Please log in to reply
799 replies to this topic

#121 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 06:15 PM

Wow, David Chard really has a lot of guts to be even considering building in this market

#122 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 06:37 PM

The "spectacular copper cladding" sounds very intriguing.

That's a good question there, jklymak. Obviously the finished building itself is two or more years away at the very least.

I suspect they mean the project's full-blown website is coming in 2009.

#123 Guest_Marcat_*

Guest_Marcat_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 October 2008 - 06:39 PM

The "spectacular copper cladding" sounds very intriguing.

That's a good question there, jklymak. Obviously the finished building itself is two or more years away at the very least.

I suspect they mean the project's full-blown website is coming in 2009.

LOL...a full blown website perhaps, but I can't see much more happening than a website in this climate...

#124 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 06:45 PM

Exactly. It looks like they're betting that things will be stable again by late 2009/early 2010 or so. How long was the interval between the completion of Corazon and the beginning of construction on the Juliet? Does anyone remember? Corazon was completely finished before they started tearing down the pizza place, wasn't it?

Edit: From the looks of it, Corazon was finished in early 2006, just a couple of months before they started work on the Romeo's Pizza site.

#125 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 08:09 PM

Yeah if they started a new project soonish say in about 6 months they would be finishing just in time fro the next upswing.

#126 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 08:30 PM

Chard appears to be going for the lower-end market this time. With units starting in the low $200,000's I think a lot of people will see the appeal, downswing or not.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#127 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 08:41 PM

The price of materials and labour will be down for him, that's for sure.

#128 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 06:29 AM

Remember that even in the stale '90's several highrises were built. The Metropolitan, Shoal Point, The Manhattan, Regent 1, Regent 2, etc.

One to two larger downtown residential projects going up every year between now and 2015 shouldn't be out of the norm and we still have multiple office projects coming down the pipes including Gateway, Radius, the church property, etc.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#129 Guest_Marcat_*

Guest_Marcat_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2008 - 07:17 AM

Touche Mike...but at the same time...What I'm hearing in the industry is this project, if it does come to fruition won't be for quite some time. While we may very well see a handful of projects built over the next 5 to 10 years, I think the completion of the existing projects will have to happen first...If this was to get legs, I would guess MAYBE late 2009 to early 2010 before construction would begin.

#130 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 09:24 AM

Yup, late '09/early '10 sounds reasonable.

Know it all.

#131 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 02:53 PM

Chard placed a large print ad for this project in today's T-C; the ad stressed the developer's commitment to downtown as well as Chard's record with the Corazon and Juliet.

#132 Guest_Marcat_*

Guest_Marcat_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2008 - 03:37 PM

Chard placed a large print ad for this project in today's T-C; the ad stressed the developer's commitment to downtown as well as Chard's record with the Corazon and Juliet.

Chard's commitment to downtown goes only as far as the economy and real estate market will allow it too, just as with any developer their "commitment" only goes so far as they are making money...

#133 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 06:15 PM

It is easier to make money in Langford, and that's where most of the developers seem to be doing it. The people who have stuck with downtown have some kind of special commitment - many of them, including Chard, spend a lot of their leisure hours involved in various non-profits serving downtown too. I do give people like the Jawls, Van Bellingham, Chard and that ilk credit for what they do downtown. If they can make a business work while they are at it, then all the better - it keeps people employed.
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#134 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 06:18 PM

Exactly I have spoken to him and he is committed to downtown.

Why are developers incapable of any emotion except greed? I think that a developer is just someone with a job the same as a nurse, a public servant, a banker you name it. Yet for some reason if you create new buildings essentially creating our built environment they are only capapbel of acting on what will make them a buck.

I think it is time for this stereotype to die.

#135 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 06:20 PM

Wow G-Man! You and Caramia are actually starting to sound like a couple of sensible, perspicacious people (in other words, right-wing-like me!). I understand Marcat's point though. Why would any developer work extremely long hours dealing with myriad different individuals, groups and local government if there were no money in it? I doubt money is the only motive, but it's certainly a contributing factor in getting people to bust their asses. Having said that, I too get sick of people in this town demonizing developers for being greedy. They go a long way to improving the city, regardless of their motives.

Remember that even in the stale '90's several highrises were built. The Metropolitan, Shoal Point, The Manhattan, Regent 1, Regent 2, etc.

That's only partially true Mike.

The Regent Parks were finished in 1991 but they started in the late '80's and while Shoal Point was started in the '90's, it wasn't finished until well into the new millenium. The Metropolitan and the Manhattan were the only residential high-rises that were erected the whole decade. The 90's were as bad as we remember for residential development.

#136 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 09:19 AM

Ah, thanks for the heads up, Phil. When was the Pacific Monarch built?

Know it all.

#137 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 09:25 AM

LOL I don't buy into either left or right wing rhetoric. I've spent a lot of time working towards the social health of downtown over the last 10 years, and I know who has been beside me with their sleeves rolled up. That's all.
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#138 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 11:56 AM

Chard could be absolutely insincere in everything he says and yet I'd still be cheering for his projects. He's promoting downtown and he's trying to generate a positive vibe re: downtown's image. Just check out the "faces of downtown" link on the 834 Johnson website. Many Victorians could take a lesson. It makes for a very refreshing alternative to the doom and gloom, in my opinion.

#139 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 12:03 PM

...just as with any developer their "commitment" only goes so far as they are making money...

Yeah, but unfortunately, the commitment of many Victorians to downtown doesn't even go that far. Many people are perfectly happy to burn a tank of gas to go shopping in Langford.

If he's able to make money doing good things in the city then all the power to him.

#140 Guest_Marcat_*

Guest_Marcat_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 October 2008 - 08:15 AM

Yeah, but unfortunately, the commitment of many Victorians to downtown doesn't even go that far. Many people are perfectly happy to burn a tank of gas to go shopping in Langford.

If he's able to make money doing good things in the city then all the power to him.

I laugh EVERYTIME I hear this...its cracks me up so much you have no idea. It takes 15 minutes, not even to drive to Langford. I live on the westshore, drive an economical vehicle for commuting, I do have my truck when needed but I go through a tank bout every week and half to 2 weeks, driving from the westshore to downtown everyday... Langford is not a huge trek, and if Victoria wants to make it so ridiculous for developers to build their buildings, then the obvious choice is Langford who is open to development and doesn't have half the red tape Vic City does...everyone wants a more vibrant downtown core, a more concentrated downtown core, well I'd love one too, but perhaps the people of Victoria need to elect a council that is a little friendlier to developers and who aren't hung up on the massive number of concessions that they seem to have to shell out to build a building...There is a reason Langford is growing at the rate it has been...its cheaper to live, its cheaper to build, and the council isn't hung up on retarded concessions...ohhh and ps. it really doesn't cost that much to drive to Langford to go to the superstore...or Costco...

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users