Photo

[Downtown Victoria] The 834 | Condos | 40.7m | 14-storeys | Built - completed in 2011

• Please log in to reply
799 replies to this topic

#161 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 09:09 AM

One is 608 Broughton (already approved) but I'm not sure about the other.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#162 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,711 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 09:27 AM

Ahhh I had forgotten that they were the developers behind 608 Broughton...another project I really like.

#163 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 09:29 AM

Here are a couple of new renderings

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#164 collywobbles

collywobbles
  • 25 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 10:27 AM

The other 'downtown' project is actually in James Bay, at 640 Michigan. Here's the info from Chard's website:

640 Michigan

This prime development site is located in Victoria just blocks from the provincial legislature, downtown business district and Beacon Hill Park in the residential neighbourhood of James Bay. Chard acquired the site in 2005. A 50-60 unit residential development is contemplated for the site.

LOCATION: Michigan Street between Government & Douglas Streets, Victoria, BC.
DETAILS: Approximately 60,000 Sq.Ft. residential or rental
TEAM: TBD
ARCHITECT: TBD

#165 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 10:39 AM

Ok, that makes sense.

Know it all.

#166 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 10:45 AM

Love the cobalt blue!

#167 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 11:57 AM

This will be great if they get this one going. Are those townhouses fronting Johnson? Or live/work lofts?

#168 Lover Fighter

Lover Fighter
  • 653 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 02:18 PM

Wow, it reminds me of.... every other condo building in Victoria?
Ah, who am I kidding, I love it. Glad to see the four-storey brick base that works so well in downtown Victoria.

#169 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 04:04 PM

Some retail wouldn't work on the ground floor?

#170 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 05:24 PM

This only reminds me of one other building, the Corizon. And that is a very good thing.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#171 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 06:08 PM

The 834 is launching this May with scheduled completion in late 2011.

I assume by "launch" they mean to start presales. When I spoke with people close to the project, construction wasn't expected to start until September/October.

#172 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 07:05 PM

Builder to go ahead with downtown condo tower

By Andrew A. Duffy, Times Colonist April 25, 2009

A global recession and the resulting consumer appetite for value has stalled or slowed a number of higher-end residential developments in Greater Victoria, but it seems to be playing into the hands of at least one developer.

Chard Development, which in November completed the Juliet condominium project at the corner of Blanshard and Johnson streets, and the Corazon on Cormorant Street in 2006, has announced it is ready to go ahead with a third residential tower in Victoria's downtown.

Chard intends to start demolition this summer at 834 Johnson St. to make way for a 110-unit tower called The 834.

The project, which is expected to be finished in the late fall of 2011, is geared for first-time buyers and people wary of dealing with a condominium purchase beyond the $350,000 level.

"We are going for a more affordable, well-priced condo here that is in reach of many first-time buyers or those looking to move up," said president Dave Chard. "It's a high-quality building with high-quality finishes but we are not at the same luxury end that a lot of other condos that have come on stream over the last few years are striving for."

[...]
In chains by Keynes

#173 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,711 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 07:11 PM

It would have been nice if Duffy had mentioned the location of Chard's next tower because I really don't think "834 Johnson" means much to most people, the old "Peacock Billiards site" would helped people better understand it's location.

How much more precise can you be than to give the street address? With the use of numerous internet map systems, or even the old paper variety map I can locate "834 Johnson". Unless one has lived in Victoria for some time, what use is it to say at the site of the former anything? Giving directions to someone based on what USED to be somewhere has always seemed to me like a very "backassward" way of helping people out.

#174 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,007 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 07:18 PM

Wow, 450 sq ft condos. That is about the size of my master bedroom.

#175 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 08:58 AM

It's about the size of my suite, which suites me well, but doesn't accept a guest comfortably.
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#176 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 11:11 AM

I think Mr. Chard is on to something here.
A decent 1-BR close to the centre rents for about $750-900 (I think, correct me if I'm wrong).
If a young person can scare up $20K down on a $200K unit then the mortgage is about $450-500/month. Add condo fees and utilities and s/he's paying out about the same for a spanking new unit, lots of glass, new plumbing, appliances maybe, nice kitchen etc. Right downtown so a car isn't 100% necessary. And some equity can be built or it can be rented if job change or travel comes into play.
I'm thinking 834 would be 18-24 months away from delivery. By that time the economy might be turned around and demand up again.
It all makes sense to me.

#177 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 11:42 AM

How much more precise can you be than to give the street address? With the use of numerous internet map systems, or even the old paper variety map I can locate "834 Johnson". Unless one has lived in Victoria for some time, what use is it to say at the site of the former anything?

My point was that by saying those five simple words ("the old Peacock billiards site") that would saved a lot of people having to look up the location and since it was there for about 20 years, I expect most people would know exactly where it is. Just ask people where 834 Johnson St. is and i'll bet at least half of them can't even describe the block.
In chains by Keynes

#178 P.Schilling

P.Schilling
  • 18 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 11:46 AM

I think your numbers are a tad off there, just for the sake of it i started at $200,000 n chose a $20,000 down payment and a 25 year fixed for the life of the loan(simply as its not going to get much cheaper interest ratewise) and a 25 year amoritzation and the numbers RBC is cranking out are $1379 a month. soo No i wouldn't say its cheaper than renting, not by a long shot however its a much better option towards building equity and its a definate step in the right direction.

#179 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 12:18 PM

I was figuring 180K mortgage @3% = $5400/yr = $450/month.
With the BoC rate at 0.25% I figured there could be mortgages at 3%.
Just guessing at all of it but in the end it seems to me still not a bad deal for a young person's first buy.
I bought my first house (@10.25%!) when my wife showed me we could do P.I.T. for $345/month and we were renting for $325. It was a no-brainer but she had to show me coz I had no brain!

#180 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,711 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 12:39 PM

My point was that by saying those five simple words ("the old Peacock billiards site") that would saved a lot of people having to look up the location and since it was there for about 20 years, I expect most people would know exactly where it is. Just ask people where 834 Johnson St. is and i'll bet at least half of them can't even describe the block.

I have lived in Victoria for over 30 years and I doubt if I were asked to say where the old Peacock Billiards was that I could have given an answer. I simply never had any reason to go there. MY point was that the street address is generic information that would be useful to anyone, local or tourist, newbie or oldtimer. While it would have been INTERESTING to include the Peacock information, I doubt it would have aided very many people in determining the location of Chard's new development.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users