The Mile "0" Project 2012-2014

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 06:56 AM

I have an idea. And I think this can get done. And I'm so confident that this might fly, I'm giving it a two-year window to happen, if all the pieces might somehow fall into place.

Now, first of all, I know what you are thinking, you are thinking, "ya, but your social housing project never got off the ground!". True, but that project gave me headaches just thinking about the headaches.

Here's my plan: Replace the Mile 0 marker at the end of Douglas / TCH with a new, more prominent sign.

Here is the existing sign, erected in 1958 by the Victoria Automobile Club, and according to a sign attached, maintained by the BCAA.

Mile_0_TCH_Victoria_BC.jpg

The existing sign, while quaint, and well-maintained, is very lacking in information (on the back side at foot-level there is a plaque that says Newfoundland 3486 miles or whatever, but no other explanation really). And you nearly have to step in the plants to get up-close.

I think it's a bit sad for such a historic marker. Consider that of all the photo-ops in this city (the harbour, The Empress, the legislature, the blue bridge) it has to be up near the top-10. It's also literally the cornerstone of Beacon Hill Park (it's at the corner, and made of stone - kind of the 1958 version of Langford housing river rock, predecessors to the Tinto Rocks).

My plan for the new sign would be a big Canada map, or big North America map, showing many city markers, and the length of the TCH. It would be situated at such an access level that anyone over 3' tall could point at their home-town, and their sister could point at Victoria, as their older brother takes a picture of them.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 07:02 AM

On paper, it's a great idea but it runs smack against what Jack Knox says is Victoria's official motto, "We Liked The Old One Better". How many views would be blocked? How much native grass would be slaughtered? Would the sign be made in China with child labour? Would it be tactile for the blind? Accessible for the disabled? Dumbed-down for the stupid?
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#3 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 07:20 AM

On paper, it's a great idea but it runs smack against what Jack Knox says is Victoria's official motto, "We Liked The Old One Better". How many views would be blocked? How much native grass would be slaughtered? Would the sign be made in China with child labour? Would it be tactile for the blind? Accessible for the disabled? Dumbed-down for the stupid?

I think the concrete footprint its on now is still sufficient. The new sign will be only slightly taller.

One of the things about the new marker, it helps promote intra-Canada tourism, something that's good for everyone. Or it helps promote foreign visitors to this point. With social media and smartphones, photos whip around faster than ever. So when Mary texts Jill and says "where are you?", Jill fires the pic back saying, "we're in Canada, at Mile Zero of the Trans Canada a Highway!" Mary replies "is that where they filmed Twilight Awakening?" But still, you get the idea. The irony, of course, is that in fact if Jill does a 180 and takes another picture with Washington State's Olympic Peninsula in the background, that is where they filmed Twilight Awakening.

So with a decent marker that promotes #1 tourism to downtown Victoria and #2 promotes Beacon Hill Park, we can expect possible funding from:

DVBA
Tourism Victoria
BCAA
The Province
City of Victoria
Private individuals
Businesses
Tinto Rocks 2013 World Tour merchandise sales
Friends of Beacon Hill Park*

*Yes, that last one is a bit of a joke.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#4 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 30 May 2012 - 07:26 AM

I think the concrete footprint its on now is still sufficient. The new sign will be only slightly taller. That back side will have all the necessary extras needed to appease the blind, the Chinese children, the dumb.

What about those split seconds in which Pam Madoff wouldn't be able to see the water from behind the sign? Project fail. :farmer:

#5 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 08:11 AM

I'd like to see a traffic study. And should the new marker emit poisonous fumes or result in road closures there better be an annual monetary donation paid out to the James Bay Neighbourhood Association and a countdown timer prominently displayed to alert James Bay residents to pending road closures.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 30 May 2012 - 09:59 AM

Tough call - it's either this or the Beacon Hill Park road closure "experiment".

I think a 12' wide raised relief map of Canada would be nice here.

North America? Not so much. The US would get in the way of getting close to Canada :P

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#7 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 10:09 AM

Isn't there an old BC relief map kicking around somewhere?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#8 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 30 May 2012 - 10:22 AM

Now that you mention it, I think there might be.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#9 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 30 May 2012 - 11:26 AM

Isn't there an old BC relief map kicking around somewhere?

The Challenger Map from the PNE is still in a warehouse somewhere.

#10 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 11:41 AM

...and let's not forget the BC Experience map. It hasn't been sold, has it?

Know it all.

#11 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 11:50 AM

...and let's not forget the BC Experience map. It hasn't been sold, has it?

Yes, it's at Galey Farm.

#12 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 02:53 PM

Shouldn't it be updated to "kilometer 0" ?

Also why not get a corporate sponsor? "ROYAL BANK PRESENTS: TIM HORTON'S ALWAYS FRESH MILE 0, brought to you by save on foods". If we could get 10-20 bucks from each of them why not, not like dignity has a price!
Could get shoe sponsors to compete for which runners terry fox is wearing as well. Why not! Save the tax payers some money! All about the money.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#13 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 04:18 PM

How about...

This is the START of the Trans Canada Highway,
or, the END of the road baby,
if you just came from the East Coast

The big 0 That's all you get.

Oh! and I think football needs to change the 50 yard line to the 45.72 meter line.

#14 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 06:30 PM

^ Clever! We should also change the 100m dash to the 109.361 yard dash.

I am all for changing to Km 0.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#15 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 30 May 2012 - 06:43 PM

^ Clever! We should also change the 100m dash to the 109.361 yard dash.

I am all for changing to Km 0.

How about: "Mile Zero: Steve Fonyo Wuz Here"?

#16 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 06:50 PM

How about: "Mile Zero: Steve Fonyo Wuz Here"?

There is a free-standing Steve Fonyo thing there.

http://www.victoria-...in Victoria.jpg

#17 vicernie

vicernie
  • 185 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 07:56 AM

the sign in St. John's includes a map of Canada http://www.canada-ph...ndland-2080.htm
there is one east of Winnipeg showing the geographic centre of Canada http://www.manitobap...interesting.htm
why not have a series of coordinated signs from one coast to the other to encourage travellers to stop and reflect on the size of this country. (if anyone can afford the gas to drive across it.)

#18 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 09:49 AM

I've seen the St. John's one and it's pretty lame too.

#19 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 31 May 2012 - 10:08 AM

Tofino also has sign up claiming Mile 0.

#20 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 12:08 PM

At least according to wiki seems as if the Tofino one is nothing more than a failed attempt.

So if update to KM 0 of the Trans Canada we would then be the most technically correct version in Canada.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users