Photo

The Mile "0" Project 2012-2014

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#21 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 07:09 PM

So if update to KM 0 of the Trans Canada we would then be the most technically correct version in Canada.

Americans might think KM 0 is a billboard for the local radio station.

#22 LJ

LJ
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 07:58 PM

NO NO NO, it has to stay at MILE 0.

You start tinkering with that and we are going to run in to all sorts of problems.

Does anyone think 161 Kilometer House has a nice ring to it.

Bah!
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#23 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 08:25 PM

I vote for Klick Zero.

#24 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 08:59 PM

Americans might think KM 0 is a billboard for the local radio station.

is that honestly something we should worry about?

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#25 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 09:04 PM

This is Canada. It should be KM 0.

#26 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 09:18 PM

In french it is "Kilometre Zero"

#27 phx

phx
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 09:35 PM

The metric system is just a fad. The sign should remain "Mile 0".

#28 Fairbanks

Fairbanks
  • 555 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 07:20 AM

I believe the only countries left in the world that are not metric are, the good ol' US of A. Liberia, Myanmar. It should be Kilometer 0/Kilometre 0.
We are no longer catering to the USA.

#29 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 08:14 AM

How about both on the new sign? We historically stay to what it was and update it at the same time. Make some reference to "originally Mile 0"?
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#30 phx

phx
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 05:44 PM

I believe the only countries left in the world that are not metric are, the good ol' US of A. Liberia, Myanmar. It should be Kilometer 0/Kilometre 0.
We are no longer catering to the USA.

The UK also uses miles.

I stand by my assertion that the metric system is a fad, and predict the return to anthropic units within a generation.

#31 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 05:58 PM

The UK also uses miles.

I stand by my assertion that the metric system is a fad, and predict the return to anthropic units within a generation.

Officially, the UK uses metric. In practice not as much. Speaking of BHP, as I ran through the other day, I noticed a trail maker that read "lookout - 1/4 mile"
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#32 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 06:46 PM

Mile zero is it's name no need to change that IMO... since we are dreaming, I like the idea of this sign being a land mark. Personally I'd like to see a work of art inspired by the map idea. One that you can touch and sit on / lean against etc. A great spot for a photo op.

#33 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 08:52 PM

I just passed a major kilometerstone in my life, buying a new car. We hope to get a lot of kilometers out of it, while still getting good gas kilometerage. Though that may get tougher as we have to centimeter along through all the traffic to get to kilometer zero.

#34 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 10:00 PM

I just passed a major kilometerstone in my life, buying a new car. We hope to get a lot of kilometers out of it, while still getting good gas kilometerage. Though that may get tougher as we have to centimeter along through all the traffic to get to kilometer zero.

:cheers:

jklymak, not always known for comedy, wins my biggest laugh of the day for that one!
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#35 phx

phx
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 10:32 PM

Yes, he put a skilometer on my face also!

#36 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 10:03 PM

Mile One Centre is an indoor arena and entertainment venue located in downtown St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada. The centre's name comes from it being located at the beginning of theTrans-Canada Highway. At full capacity the arena can seat 7,000 people.

http://en.wikipedia....Mile_One_Centre

#37 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 10:19 PM

^Those signmakers charge by the letter, you know.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#38 LJ

LJ
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 07:23 PM

Hey, just a sec, there can't be two mile one's.

One of us has to be mile 4860, and I think our mile one was here before they joined confederation, no?
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#39 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 10:13 PM

This was in wkikpedia, so it must be true.

http://en.wikipedia....-Canada_Highway

There are just over 60 stop-controlled intersections along the Vancouver Island section of the Trans-Canada Highway, which is about equal to the total number of stoplights along the entire 7000 kilometers of highway from Vancouver BC to St. John's NF.

#40 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 10:35 PM

19 of those are when the highway runs as a city street (with another four pedestrian controlled stops) from Saanich Road south. It wouldn't make sense to try to remove these as the highway basically comes to an end here anyways.

There are 61 stops along the highway on the island in total (traffic lights and stop signs, excluding pedestrian controlled stops), from Departure Bay south.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users