BUILT
The Janion
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: Store Street at Pandora Avenue
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 7
Condo units: (studio/bachelor, loft, 2BR)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
The Janion development includes the full heritage restoration of the historic Janion Hotel, built in 1891, and... (view full profile)
Learn more about the Janion on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] Janion Building redevelopment | 7-storeys | Built/renovated - completed in 2016

Condo Commercial

• Please log in to reply
2679 replies to this topic

#2601 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,776 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 13 April 2018 - 09:23 AM

Does anyone know if the 38% tax credit still applies to the units in the heritage portion and where does that show up? Notice of property tax or similar? 

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#2602 janionconcierge

janionconcierge
  • 22 posts
  • LocationVictoria & Pender Island

Posted 13 April 2018 - 09:51 AM

Yup, the 38% is based on the footprint of the Heritage portion of the building but applies to the entire building, old and new.

Hard time getting a direct answer but I believe it's applied by a 38% reduction on the assessed value when it comes to calculating the property tax. My question is whether that also applies to the application of the new so-called Speculation Tax.

Janion Concierge Services

On Site Help For Janion Owners, Residents & Visitors

Call/Text Ken at 778-676-0796

Email: JanionConcierge@shaw.ca

For more info visit:

http://www.janionconcierge.com

or

http://www.janionconcierge.com/what-we-do

#2603 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,455 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 10:31 AM

A heritage discount on the speculation tax? Is that what you're wondering about?

The speculation tax is over and above the property tax and the heritage status of the building has no effect on the speculation tax. However, your unit, if indeed it is a secondary home, would not be taxed provided its assessed value is below $400,000 and provided you only have that one unit in addition to your permanent residence in BC.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2604 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,776 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 13 April 2018 - 10:48 AM

Yup, the 38% is based on the footprint of the Heritage portion of the building but applies to the entire building, old and new.

Hard time getting a direct answer but I believe it's applied by a 38% reduction on the assessed value when it comes to calculating the property tax. My question is whether that also applies to the application of the new so-called Speculation Tax.

I am having trouble getting a direct answer too...I guess property taxes where settle for last year with developer, so it never came up?

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#2605 janionconcierge

janionconcierge
  • 22 posts
  • LocationVictoria & Pender Island

Posted 13 April 2018 - 11:07 AM

This will be the first year the Heritage discount applies as they missed the boat last year.

My understanding is that the $400,000 will mean the owner is eligible for a tax credit to recover the amount charged, not that they won't be charged at all. Some owners are retired and concerned that the non-refundable tax credit won't help them as they do not have adequate income to apply the tax credit to.

I guess we'll find out for certain when the tax bills arrive. 

Janion Concierge Services

On Site Help For Janion Owners, Residents & Visitors

Call/Text Ken at 778-676-0796

Email: JanionConcierge@shaw.ca

For more info visit:

http://www.janionconcierge.com

or

http://www.janionconcierge.com/what-we-do

#2606 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 04:11 PM

Janion's first retail store opens...

26569028947_d99ece49b2_k.jpg

• Rob Randall, Nparker and Matt R. like this

#2607 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 08:42 AM

Any word on what other shops/restaurants will be opening here other than the candy shop, and when? I think the square will have a lot more life to it once the retail fills out. I've been patiently waiting for news on the commercial tenants of this, and other recently finished or soon to be finished projects around the downtown (Yello, Legato, 1515 Douglas/750 Pandora). 

#2608 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 01 June 2018 - 08:48 AM

Hey i heard today that NUBO is one of the new tenants in the commercial section of the Janion

Is this still a rumour, or confirmed? A building permit for a 49 patron restaurant was issued in January.

#2609 JanionGuy

JanionGuy
  • 772 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 07:42 AM

Things may have changed on the NUBO rumour.  The door now announces a Korean Restaurant "CERA"

IMG_2221.jpg

IMG_2222.jpg

#2610 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,665 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 08:13 AM

Things may have changed on the NUBO rumour...

I think NUBO is expanding at their Pandora Avenue location.

#2611 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 08:51 AM

I think NUBO is expanding at their Pandora Avenue location.

Yeah, given the expansion it would be strange to move, unless they were just opening a second location. The Korean restaurant could be cool.

• Nparker likes this

#2612 Szeven

Szeven
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 02:12 PM

Has anyone replaced their mattress yet? I hear it's not very comfortable and I was considering opting for one of those premium foam ones (Casper, Endy etc). Do they fit? Is there something better? Any comments appreciated.

#2613 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 22 September 2018 - 05:32 PM

Has anyone replaced their mattress yet? I hear it's not very comfortable and I was considering opting for one of those premium foam ones (Casper, Endy etc). Do they fit? Is there something better? Any comments appreciated.

We've been sleeping on our Endy for a week and we love it.  It's soft in that you'll sink in just a smidge and then the firm kicks in.  It's very comfortable.  Best part is that there is literally zero motion transfer, so Mrs. Fugger and I can't feel each other tossing/turning (of which there is much less) or getting up off the bed.  Install was super easy, and we just put it right onto our existing boxspring.  Will work with a platform bed without any additional support.  The king came out to about $1k and one is able to finance it at zero interest and no fees for six months, either through bank account, credit or I think even PayPal.  PROTIP #1: I set up it on my WJ MC so that I can churn points and then setup six pre-auth bill payments from chequing account to pay a few days beforehand.

The downsides?  I can really only think of three:

1. The mattress (at least the king) seems smaller than my previous coil mattress, by a count of inches all around.
  2. Aesthetics.  If you have a headboard or footboard with any kind of mass, the mattress is only 10" and looks really silly and dwarfed in it.  Like previously, I could hang my feet over the mattress and footboard.  Now, the footboard is a good 3-4" above the surface of the mattress.  PROTIP #2: if you call them and whinge or say you want to return it, they will offer you a complimentary 3" mattress topper.  They generally want you to sleep on it for a couple of weeks before they do that, but dial up the whinging and they will send it to you right away.
  3. It's pretty easy to find $50 off promo codes around the internet. However, if you cannot combine financing and the promo code, which I found unbelievably chintzy.

So all in all, I would highly recommend the Endy mattress.  I did some research into the Douglas and Casper, but this one seemed to have the slight edge in most departments.  I bought it on recommendation from Matt R., so perhaps he will chime in with his experience.  That would be good, as he's had it for longer.  Good luck!

• Matt R. likes this

#2614 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,008 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 08:29 PM

Same over here. It’s just as nice as our previous mid range mattress, ordering, shipping/receiving and unboxing was simple, took about 3 days to arrive.

We got it just before the last heatwave in August and while it was generally hot everywhere, the mattress didn’t suffer from some of heat retention issues that I’ve heard foam can suffer from. I wouldn’t say it kept me cool, but no hotter than our previous coil bed would have been.

The firmness is just right for me, my wife likes it too!

I also notice the height difference but it’s not a big concern for me, I rarely used to dangle anyways.

I like the tip about the mattress topper. I’ll look into that next week, great tip, Fugger.

I’m very happy over all with the purchase but my mattress knowledge isn’t vast. Up until about 9 years ago we slept on some real crap!

Matt.

#2615 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,455 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 08:02 AM

Once you start sleeping on a memory foam mattress it’s hard to go back.

How hot does the endy got? Some of these mattresses can’t disperse heat fast enough.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2616 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 23 September 2018 - 10:08 AM

Not hot at all.  And I tend to sleep hot naturally (i.e., always trying to cool down).  Mind you, we're rocking pretty sweet central AC (which of course is now off), so it will be interesting to see how it will feel next summer.

#2617 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,008 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 04:15 PM

You’ll be fine, Fugger. Just let it dangle out.

Matt.
  • Bob Fugger likes this

#2618 LJ

LJ
  • 12,728 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 08:08 PM

Consumer Reports just did an article on mattresses and one from Casper, called the Casper came out on top for memory foam. 

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#2619 JanionGuy

JanionGuy
  • 772 posts

Posted 02 February 2019 - 03:25 PM

For those still following this thread, Cera is now open (see here)  and to the left is the new "Cafe 1891"  (see here)

The Janion's commercial spaces are now fully operational, except for the water level space at the front of the building.

Maybe somebody can go and pick up the bike that's been tossed in the water:

IMG_3452.JPG

IMG_3453.JPG

#2620 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,665 posts

Posted 02 February 2019 - 05:52 PM

...Maybe somebody can go and pick up the bike that's been tossed in the water:..

Well you are allowed to leave them anywhere - right?

• JanionGuy likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users