BUILT
The Janion
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: Store Street at Pandora Avenue
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 7
Condo units: (studio/bachelor, loft, 2BR)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
The Janion development includes the full heritage restoration of the historic Janion Hotel, built in 1891, and... (view full profile)
Learn more about the Janion on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] Janion Building redevelopment | 7-storeys | Built/renovated - completed in 2016

Condo Commercial

• Please log in to reply
2679 replies to this topic

#741 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 08:24 AM

Whether or not visitors are there for a long time, or are coming and going, a transient guest just doesn't really care. So the wear and tear is more a function of "i don't need to wipe my feet" or "i've paid for a cleaning fee, so i just don't care about my wear and tear".  Just my opinion.  But i'm still planning on renting my JANION unit. The location, and zoning, is just perfect!

Although if you have a bad vacation renter who is rough on the unit, they leave in a couple of days, and you never rent to them again. If you have a bad long-term renter, getting them out of the unit is a tougher process.

#742 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 12:31 PM

Looks like they're getting close to pouring the at grade floor.

16531265829_39aebe2d23_h.jpg

16529817728_50b2accc69_h.jpg

• Nparker likes this

#743 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 04 March 2015 - 01:29 PM

Looks like it's been slow going on the concrete pouring looking at Gary's post from almost two months ago.

#744 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 10:17 AM

At Grade Floor Pour...

A big pour of the concrete at grade floor is being done today.

16105974973_c4a7c47f23_h.jpg

16700035856_7c9c0f8298_h.jpg

#745 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 12:22 PM

And the pour continues...

The lighting was much better at Noon.

16539431230_cc760d8aa5_h.jpg

16519564287_321d4f289b_h.jpg

16725594291_e71d0bfd70_h.jpg

16725772642_bc6994c493_h.jpg

• Nparker likes this

#746 JanionGuy

JanionGuy
  • 772 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 04:09 PM

Here's a couple of closeups of the completed floor presumably of the indoor parking.

Attached Images

• 2015_03_06LR.jpg
  • 2015_03_07LR.jpg
  • 2015_03_15LR.jpg

#747 JanionGuy

JanionGuy
  • 772 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 04:11 PM

Did anyone notice on the South Wall.  When the scaffolding was up, it concealed not only brick work, but also the addition of doors (and heads) to the wall, and a slightly revised roof edge. Also new sills to the windows.

BEFORE and AFTER

Attached Images

• Before.jpg
  • After.jpg

Edited by JanionGuy, 05 March 2015 - 04:15 PM.

• Nparker likes this

#748 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 04:14 PM

Where did that "Z" come from?

#749 JanionGuy

JanionGuy
  • 772 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 04:16 PM

It's a TAG that appeared early on while the first set of scaffolding was in place.  Taggers must have been halted as they never returned to finish their project.

#750 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 04:27 PM

^Oh, it looked like a vintage "ghost sign".

#751 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 07:28 PM

Gawd, didn't you read the previous pages in this thread, Robert?

comic_book_guy_by_jimboy_sk8s-d2y9ind.jp

• thundergun likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#752 JanionGuy

JanionGuy
  • 772 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 10:30 PM

It appears that the developer has begun from the inside, restoration on the exterior of the east-facing (Store Street) units, without having to install scaffolding, which would certainly be an ardurous task.  Can you imagine the grief that the developer will have to endure in order to restore the exterior frontage which we are so looking forward to seeing in all of its 1892 glory!  

Consider the sorely dilapidated sandstone that will have to be restored, not to mention the iron facades of which there are many.

In any event, one window frame has just been removed to the inside of the building (to what end we shall surely be apprised of its outcome), in unit 325, SL 78, just in case someone cares!  And surely the current owner must show interest!

Attached Images

• 2015_03_11LR.jpg
  • 2015_03_10LR.jpg

• Mike K. likes this

#753 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 11:30 PM

JanionGuy:

Just curious, which unit did you purchase and why?

As I understand the only units left are the ones on the waterside, Im guessing because of the awkward layouts, but I must say I really like the A2 floor plan. 

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

#754 JanionGuy

JanionGuy
  • 772 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 12:45 AM

Hello there Mixed,

As you already know, there are only 2 units left unsold; they are both waterside but referred to as "M" (main floor) units which really means 2 levels below the upcoming Johnson St Bridge.  A sad tale for a Developer selling prime waterfront, to be sure, because the floor plans look great on paper but in reality are lacking: firstly by poor vantages of sunlight etc., and also encumbered by legal predispositions to poor commerce by way of agreements made with the Grande City of VICt… to convert these locations -- after one year -- into commercial enterprises destined to doom by way of lack of pedestrian traffic. This, brought on -- in part -- by an in-ability of the city to continue the walkway from the inner harbour all the way to Canoe restaurant (i.e., underneath the new bridge).

Higher up the building, "A" floor plans , north facing, are interesting but for the square footage, do you really want your galley kitchen peering half way-through into your bedroom, (or that of your guests?). And when the parking lot gets imminently developed, then your view certainly changes.

I really liked the floor plans of the original heritage suites on the 3rd floor facing Store Street (where i had many a night enjoying the close fellowship of both dear friends and transient acquaintances).  Although they were lacking in outdoor amenities such as even a porch, the large windows allowed wondrous light in the morning well through noon. One would only have to slightly open a window to be party to all the morning bustle of horses and carriage as passers-by made their way to various enterprises.

In the initial offering, the units were spacious and the floor plans desirable, but these units did not sell. Thereby they were quickly sliced in two during the Great Janion "Second Amendment" of 2014, and presented as a number of smaller units in the hallowed "Second Offering". As a result of their diminished floor space (and purchase price) they sold out in mere days, perpetuating the Janion Tradition!

Edited by JanionGuy, 06 March 2015 - 01:02 AM.

• Mixed365 likes this

#755 jstovell

jstovell
  • 119 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 06:41 PM

Hello there Mixed,

As you already know, there are only 2 units left unsold; they are both waterside but referred to as "M" (main floor) units which really means 2 levels below the upcoming Johnson St Bridge.  A sad tale for a Developer selling prime waterfront, to be sure, because the floor plans look great on paper but in reality are lacking: firstly by poor vantages of sunlight etc., and also encumbered by legal predispositions to poor commerce by way of agreements made with the Grande City of VICt… to convert these locations -- after one year -- into commercial enterprises destined to doom by way of lack of pedestrian traffic. This, brought on -- in part -- by an in-ability of the city to continue the walkway from the inner harbour all the way to Canoe restaurant (i.e., underneath the new bridge).

Higher up the building, "A" floor plans , north facing, are interesting but for the square footage, do you really want your galley kitchen peering half way-through into your bedroom, (or that of your guests?). And when the parking lot gets imminently developed, then your view certainly changes.

I really liked the floor plans of the original heritage suites on the 3rd floor facing Store Street (where i had many a night enjoying the close fellowship of both dear friends and transient acquaintances).  Although they were lacking in outdoor amenities such as even a porch, the large windows allowed wondrous light in the morning well through noon. One would only have to slightly open a window to be party to all the morning bustle of horses and carriage as passers-by made their way to various enterprises.

In the initial offering, the units were spacious and the floor plans desirable, but these units did not sell. Thereby they were quickly sliced in two during the Great Janion "Second Amendment" of 2014, and presented as a number of smaller units in the hallowed "Second Offering". As a result of their diminished floor space (and purchase price) they sold out in mere days, perpetuating the Janion Tradition

Janion Guy. There are 4 units left including the Walkway Level unit that will be commercial (only one) if the City connects the upper plaza or the waterfront walkway to the Janion Waterfront Level. There were 5 but one just sold this week.

#756 jstovell

jstovell
  • 119 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 07:04 PM

The plans of the remaining units can be seen at www.janion2013.com.

#757 jstovell

jstovell
  • 119 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 09:00 PM

And the pour continues...

The lighting was much better at Noon.

16539431230_cc760d8aa5_h.jpg

16519564287_321d4f289b_h.jpg

16725594291_e71d0bfd70_h.jpg

16725772642_bc6994c493_h.jpg

Thanks for all the great pictures.

• Nparker likes this

#758 JanionGuy

JanionGuy
  • 772 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 09:04 PM

Janion Guy. There are 4 units left including the Walkway Level unit that will be commercial (only one) if the City connects the upper plaza or the waterfront walkway to the Janion Waterfront Level. There were 5 but one just sold this week.

Jon, thanks for the update.  Why are there only two units on MLS?  

#759 jstovell

jstovell
  • 119 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 09:19 PM

One of each.

#760 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 09:32 PM

I can't speak for jstovell, but it could be for a couple reasons:

- A high price can be received closer to completion date, so no rush to sell now

- Putting units on MLS allows you to track them, for instance, if you put it on for under market value and then closer to completion date you decide to raise the prices, someone may be able to see that past price and demand it

Again, I can't speak for jstovell, but just some possibilities. 

EDIT: Ahh looks like he's already on it! ^

Edited by Mixed365, 06 March 2015 - 09:35 PM.

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users