BUILT
The Janion
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: Store Street at Pandora Avenue
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 7
Condo units: (studio/bachelor, loft, 2BR)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
The Janion development includes the full heritage restoration of the historic Janion Hotel, built in 1891, and... (view full profile)
Learn more about the Janion on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] Janion Building redevelopment | 7-storeys | Built/renovated - completed in 2016

Condo Commercial

• Please log in to reply
2679 replies to this topic

#41 Jon S

Jon S
  • 227 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 09:07 AM

Jon Stovell
President
Reliance Properties

#42 Jon S

Jon S
  • 227 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 11:50 AM

MEDIA ADVISORY
Details to be Revealed on the Purchase of
Victoria’s Janion Hotel

Date: Monday, June 11, 2012
Time: 10:00 a.m.
Duration: 30 minutes
506 Pandora Avenue
Victoria, BC

On Monday, June 11, 2012 at 10:00 a.m. media are invited to hear the details on the sale and redevelopment of the 121-year-old Janion Hotel in Downtown Victoria. Victoria’s mayor
Dean Fortin and the developer will make prepared statements and answer questions about the project and the future of the area.
Interested media should contact Jenn Currie of Peak Communicators at the site on Monday.
Jenn Currie
Peak Communicators
T: (604) 689-5559
C: (604) 767-9655
E: jcurrie@peakco.com
Or, for copies of media materials:
Lianne Elias
Peak Communicators
T: (604) 689-5559
E: lelias@peakco.com
Jon Stovell
President
Reliance Properties

#43 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 05:17 PM

Didn't really make sense for city hall to be strong proponents of one particular stance given their roles as elected officials.

Didn't make sense for them or the city administrators to be so staunchly anti-heritage, either. But they were.

If $500 million worth of highrise towers were being built on the Janion site, the Northern Junk site, and the "consolidated green space" site in Vic West then I might put some credence in the "evil developers destroyed the bridge" theory. But large developments like that just ain't happening. A very small proposal for the Northern Junk site has proven to be an uphill battle. A whole lotta nuthin' will be happening on that "consolidated green space".

So to summarize, we're talking about a major public-sector project consisting of a new bridge, re-aligned roads, and a new intersection, and on the fringes we've got a grand total of zero significant private-sector projects. And we're still speculating that evil developers might have been behind this?

#44 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 10:23 AM

Notice at the 2:34 mark of this newscast, they are using an animated video of the new Johnson Street Bridge that depicts what appears to be rail lines.

EYHMVN8wsOA

#45 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 10:49 AM

To be fair the city "accidentally" included images of the rail line right until the day of the vote, even though they had already decided to scrap it. Not surprised local developers and such were confused as to what to include in their renders.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#46 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 07:39 PM

I think those "rails" are just the multi-use portion of the bridge deck, but maybe there will be a tram car or something sharing that portion.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#47 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 08:19 AM

An award-winning VV "reporter" will be at the press conference today. Stand by for a report.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#48 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 09:11 AM

Here are details:

- Transport Canada land adjacent to property has been purchased together with Janion site
- 100 residential units
- commercial space
- opportunity to create "place of entrance"

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#49 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 09:20 AM

The passenger agent office is still intact, and one of the offices was once occupied by Mr. Dunsmuir.

- exact approval permit has not yet been determined, site not expected to be rezoned
- current plans are for "Micro-lofts," 265 - 350 sq. ft. Are typical sizes of such units
- Transport Canada lands will have to be redeveloped to support heritage restoration of Janion
- land to the south of Janion expected to be part of bike trail, developer will work with city in that regard
- too premature to say what exterior changes to Janion are planned

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#50 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 09:23 AM

So the land between the Janion and the water was purchased? Or the land north of the Janion?

#51 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:41 AM

The land between the water and the Janion. The land to the north is owned by Farmer. There was not much discussed abut that parcel other than the acknowledgment that it will now be a fairly prime piece of property with the Janion lands being reno'd.

Know it all.

#52 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,402 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:46 AM

...current plans are for "Micro-lofts,"; 265 - 350 sq. ft. are typical sizes of such units...

Egads that is small! :o At the lower end that is the equivalent of a 16' X 16' room. As a somewhat seasoned cruise ship passenger I can assure you that is smaller than the average cabin size on most ships on which I have sailed. To put that in perspective those cabins are quite a bit smaller than most standard hotel rooms. People would actually pay market prices and live full-time in such miniscule spaces? I have around 900 square feet in my condo and I wouldn't want to live in a place barely 1/3 that size. Chacun son gout I suppose.

#53 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:49 AM

Thanks for the info^. This is all such great news. The entire area will be transformed within 5 years and will be the tipping point for real changes coming to the Design District. This development, the lot north of, the Union and the redevelopment of the volvo garage will mean a complete transformation of the area.
Go density!

#54 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:51 AM

I can't see this project making money on its own. Surely there is an addition planned or some density-transfer like with the hudson?
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#55 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:51 AM

Egads that is small! :o At the lower end that is the equivalent of a 16' X 16' room. As a somewhat seasoned cruise ship passenger I can assure you that is smaller than the average cabin size on most ships on which I have sailed. To put that in perspective those cabins are quite a bit smaller than most standard hotel rooms. People would actually pay market prices and live full-time in such miniscule spaces? I have around 900 square feet in my condo and I wouldn't want to live in a place barely 1/3 that size. Chacun son gout I suppose.

If I had height to allow for some type of storage, I could live in that size.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#56 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:53 AM

Apparently Reliance Properties is a pioneer in the micro-loft realm and their units in Vancouver have met with much more praise then initially expected. I had the opportunity to chat with Councillor Coleman on this issue and he had mentioned that the Vancouver units were initially well received by new residents, but what surprised people the most was in a 3-month follow-up satisfaction had increased. What it all comes down to is new takes on furniture designs like murphy beds that can pull out from underneath to allow for a dining room table. I think the ability to reconfigure a single room into multiple uses is what makes these units work for some people.

Know it all.

#57 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:54 AM

- Transport Canada lands will have to be redeveloped to support heritage restoration of Janion

Page #2 ^ ^

I can't see this project making money on its own. Surely there is an addition planned or some density-transfer like with the hudson?

#58 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:56 AM

Oh, and my post count:

#59 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:59 AM

So I could be wrong but wasn't some sort of covenant put on the lands to the south of Mermaid Wharf that would not allow their views to be compromised? Just wondering.

That said if I owned there I would be ecstatic to see these lands developed even if it did get rid of my view because the view right now is not always that good...

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#60 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 11:05 AM

The land does slope quite a bit from street level. There was no mention of any covenants during the press event; good question, though.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users