BUILT
The Janion
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: Store Street at Pandora Avenue
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 7
Condo units: (studio/bachelor, loft, 2BR)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
The Janion development includes the full heritage restoration of the historic Janion Hotel, built in 1891, and... (view full profile)
Learn more about the Janion on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] Janion Building redevelopment | 7-storeys | Built/renovated - completed in 2016

Condo Commercial

• Please log in to reply
2679 replies to this topic

#61 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 11:40 AM

Here are details:

- opportunity to create "place of entrance"

What would a "place of entrance" be?
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#62 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,516 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 11:44 AM

Paul Merrick of Merrick Architecture made that statement. What I believe he was alluding to was with the new bridge approach, this property will feature as a point of entrance between downtown and Vic West so whatever they do here they want to ensure it is fitting of being prestigious enough for a unique entrance to downtown. Same goes for Northern Junk.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#63 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 12:00 PM

Paul Merrick of Merrick Architecture made that statement. What I believe he was alluding to was with the new bridge approach, this property will feature as a point of entrance between downtown and Vic West so whatever they do here they want to ensure it is fitting of being prestigious enough for a unique entrance to downtown. Same goes for Northern Junk.

Is that necessary? I think anyone coming over the bridge, any bridge that replaces the Blue Bridge will know they are entering downtown. Just like they have for the past 100 years. I don't think they need a reminder or a grand entrance.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#64 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 12:03 PM

Is that necessary? I think anyone coming over the bridge, any bridge that replaces the Blue Bridge will know they are entering downtown. Just like they have for the past 100 years. I don't think they need a reminder or a grand entrance.

But now it must be pointed out to them.

#65 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 12:45 PM

Some random notes from the event.

The Janion is only 15,000 sq. ft. not including the basement, smaller than it appears. The windows look small but from the inside they are relatively large, so these units will get light without having to alter the exterior.

I asked what exterior alterations are needed to the building itself and it appears there will be little change. There will be some connection between the Janion and the new construction. I am guessing that the overall massing will be something like how the Swift St. shelter/housing building connects to the Mermaid Wharf condos, ie: one long, narrow building.

I am certain architect Paul Merrick has some napkin sketches of all the possibilities but they weren't sharing any information about the specifics of the design, saying that they were still working on it. They will probably have an integrated waterfront walkway component similar to the Northern Junk buildings. They will have to decide if the walkway goes over the water or above the shore, will it be split off to provide access to the water by foot etc.

The interesting thing is no rezoning is required, only the standard Development Permit and a heritage alteration permit and the usual other permits. This will fast-track it and construction could be happening by the end of the year.

An archeological assessment was done and they don't anticipate digging up any surprises.

The building is in good shape; it was constructed with three layers of brick. Seismic enhancements will take place of course.

Retail on ground floor, 100 live/work microsuites, rental or strata to be determined later.

Now, the height limit for the site is the standard 15 m but that is measured from the Store St. sidewalk. The lot slopes dramatically toward the water meaning the waterfront side of the new structure can be higher than 15 m. There are setback requirements from the waterline.

#66 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,516 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 01:13 PM

My understanding is federal regulations require a minimum setback of 30 meters from the low tide mark.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#67 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,516 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 01:28 PM

Here's a photo snapped this morning of Mayor Dean Fortin, Jon Stovell of Reliance (Jon S on the forum) and architect Paul Merrick of Merrick Architecture.

Know it all.

#68 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,516 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 01:43 PM

The Janion as it looks today.

Know it all.

#69 Ken Johnson

Ken Johnson
  • 97 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 04:32 PM

The height of a new building is calculated on a averaging formula that can be found on the city zoning site

#70 Jon S

Jon S
  • 227 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 05:29 PM

My understanding is federal regulations require a minimum setback of 30 meters from the low tide mark.

The City of Victoria is exempt from the Riparian Set Back Requirements.

The set back is as defined in the zoning.
Jon Stovell
President
Reliance Properties

#71 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 06:23 PM

Does our newspaper really need to be so bad it mixes two articles?

http://www.timescolo...5742/story.html

#72 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,516 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 06:39 PM

The City of Victoria is exempt from the Riparian Set Back Requirements.

The set back is as defined in the zoning.

Thanks for the clarification, Jon, I wasn't aware that a municipality could set it's own setbacks from the harbour.

Know it all.

#73 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 12 June 2012 - 01:10 PM

So I could be wrong but wasn't some sort of covenant put on the lands to the south of Mermaid Wharf that would not allow their views to be compromised? Just wondering.

That said if I owned there I would be ecstatic to see these lands developed even if it did get rid of my view because the view right now is not always that good...

If it as Fed owned lands there would be no covenant. That said, selling Federal lands in BC is an issue because they are lands that could be used to settle Treatys in BC. I would assume that the Songhees would love to get some land on the inner harbour again.

#74 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 12 June 2012 - 01:26 PM

265 to 330 sq feet is small but possible to live in if you have a loft - a 100 sq foot loft area is large enough to be a bedroom leaving you 300 +- down below. To make it work you need a narrow space and not a square. A 12' wide space would be 25' long

This is a listing for a 482 square foot loft in Vancouver.

#75 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 12 June 2012 - 02:58 PM

- current plans are for "Micro-lofts," 265 - 350 sq. ft. Are typical sizes of such units

I suppose if you're the typical young, urban professional (can I say yuppie here?) and all you need is a place to hang your hat, sleep and eat cheerios the next morning then 350 sq-ft will do. I don't spend enough time bouncing between the office, gym nightclubs and tanning studio to tolerate having that little amount of space to live in.

But if you do spend more time at the pubs than at home then I can see the appeal. I'm glad this site is being put to use and I'm sure that some small, we'll tanned and slightly inebriated people will enjoy living there.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#76 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 03:28 PM

I would assume that the Songhees would love to get some land on the inner harbour again.

They've just made a deal to buy some of the soon-to-be remediated land north of Capital Iron.
Don't be so sure.:cool:

#77 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 03:36 PM

I'm glad this site is being put to use and I'm sure that some small, we'll tanned and slightly inebriated people will enjoy living there.

I suppose it says something about the state of downtown that we all see the above as an upgrade to the neighborhood.

#78 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 07:12 PM

^ Are you saying that this idea is not a good one?

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#79 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 07:20 PM

But if you do spend more time at the pubs than at home then I can see the appeal.

Is this what we're saying? I thought micro apartments were for people who spend more time at work than at home.

#80 phx

phx
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 07:28 PM

The notion of micro apartments in Victoria is ridiculous. This isn't Manhattan or Hong Kong, Victoria isn't even a big city. There is lots of space for development.

It's a sign of how distorted the housing market is that micro apartments are being considered.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users