BUILT
The Janion
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: Store Street at Pandora Avenue
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 7
Condo units: (studio/bachelor, loft, 2BR)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
The Janion development includes the full heritage restoration of the historic Janion Hotel, built in 1891, and... (view full profile)
Learn more about the Janion on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] Janion Building redevelopment | 7-storeys | Built/renovated - completed in 2016

Condo Commercial

• Please log in to reply
2679 replies to this topic

#81 Jon S

Jon S
  • 227 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 07:31 PM

Young people love them.....

http://www.ctvbc.ctv...ishColumbiaHome
Jon Stovell
President
Reliance Properties

#82 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 08:04 PM

What's the idea there? That people in New York or Hong Kong tend to be smaller than people in places like Victoria or Vancouver?

#83 Jeep

Jeep
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 08:42 PM

Having lived in under 400sf before, I can say first hand that it's surprisingly doable. The possibility of being to actually get into the home ownership game early before I need a bigger space is something I'm glad to see coming. Not everyone out of school in their first job can get a mortgage for a larger unit.

:banana:

#84 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 09:00 PM

Agreed - there is lots of market for small spaces for people to live. I doubt I had more than 400 sqft until I was in my mid 30s.

#85 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 09:15 PM

I found some of these pictures interesting.

http://www.google.ca...iw=1024&bih=603

#86 Jeep

Jeep
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 09:21 PM

I'm hoping these will be more like it....

http://www.google.ca...btnG=&mvs=0#p=0

#87 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 09:26 PM

^ Your link messed up Jeep, try again.

#88 renthefinn

renthefinn
  • 571 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 09:57 PM

265 to 330 sq feet is small but possible to live in if you have a loft - a 100 sq foot loft area is large enough to be a bedroom leaving you 300 +- down below. To make it work you need a narrow space and not a square. A 12' wide space would be 25' long

This is a listing for a 482 square foot loft in Vancouver.

How long ago did this sell? Seems very cheap for the area, I've been looking at stuff in the area for quite a while and never saw this.... 300K is very hard to find near downtown Vancouver.... Lofts are also few and far between at reasonable prices....

#89 SamCB

SamCB
  • 665 posts
  • Locationvictoria

Posted 13 June 2012 - 09:28 AM

The notion of micro apartments in Victoria is ridiculous. This isn't Manhattan or Hong Kong, Victoria isn't even a big city. There is lots of space for development.

It's a sign of how distorted the housing market is that micro apartments are being considered.

I disagree. Edmonton has space for development. Calgary has space for development. Victoria is surrounded by water on 3 sides and is seriously constrained for space.

#90 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 09:47 AM

To add to what Mark said, we are also forced to comply with overly restrictive zoning and building regulations.

This region is actually very compact by North American standards. The urbanized area of greater Victoria (land we can build on, not including ALR), including urbanized Sooke, is at most some 150 - 175 sq. km. By comparison Metro Halifax's present-day urbanized area is 262 sq. km.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#91 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 10:06 AM

^ Are you saying that this idea is not a good one?

No, the project is a great idea. I was just referencing the quoted bit about well-tanned slightly inebriated tenants...a failed attempt at humor it would seem.

#92 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 13 June 2012 - 10:17 AM

CTV.....

http://www.ctvvancou...ern-junk-lands/

Hey that video rendering of the bridge showed rail.

#93 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 13 June 2012 - 01:46 PM

Is the idea condos or rentals for the building?

#94 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 01:47 PM

I do not think they have decided at this point.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#95 phx

phx
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 08:32 PM

What's the idea there? That people in New York or Hong Kong tend to be smaller than people in places like Victoria or Vancouver?

I suppose people in Hong Kong might on average be smaller, but that's not the idea.

Rather, those places are very crowded so houses and apartments must be small.

In the core of Victoria, it's not hard to find vacant land. And by vacant, I mean just dirt, not even a parking lot built on it. Much of the rest is underdeveloped.

Going outside the core, it's mainly suburban.

There is no need for people to live in shoe boxes.

#96 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 08:36 PM

^ By that logic there would be no need for people to have roommates, or live in basements either...

#97 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 08:56 PM

Young people making a modest hourly wage will be able to afford to live in a brand-new apartment in a spectacular heritage building on the waterfront considered one of the world's most beautiful urban harbours. Contemplate that for a moment.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#98 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 13 June 2012 - 09:09 PM

I have no doubt that micro-condos will sell well there. Anything like that will be a great addition to the neighborhood. Just not for me, I need space to breathe and move.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#99 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 09:15 PM

Young people making a modest hourly wage will be able to afford to live in a brand-new apartment in a spectacular heritage building on the waterfront considered one of the world's most beautiful urban harbours. Contemplate that for a moment.

I'm not sure that you would be living in it, you may be sleeping in it but thats about it.

I had a 400 sq. ft. apartment once but that was as small as I could manage, and then just for a limited time.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#100 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 11:25 PM

IKEA has a microloft display in their showroom.

A lot of people can't wrap their head around the microloft concept. They think "Where would I fit my dining room suite--my hutch--my Hummell figurines?!" and declare it impossible for decent human habitation.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users