[Langford] Westhills YMCA/YWCA | Built

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#1 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 01:57 PM

A new YMCA/YWCA with a full aquatic facility is proposed for Westhills. The location is at the (present) end of Langford Parkway adjacent to the current phase of the Westhills development.

Notice the residential tower also pictured in the rendering.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 12:53 AM

Don't those water slides get really cold in the winter?

#3 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 06:02 AM

Don't those water slides get really cold in the winter?

The water in them is already warm and unless the temperature in Victoria gets to -60° for a month you should be alright when using them.

#4 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:48 PM

Langford strikes deal to build $30-million aquatic centre by 2015

Applause broke out at a packed Langford council meeting Monday, as councillors approved a three-way agreement between the city, YM-YWCA and Westhills Land Corp. for a new aquatic centre.

The centre, which will cost between $25 million and $30 million, will be built and paid for by Westhills on land it owns on Langford Parkway, near the $24-million City Centre Park sports complex. It’s set to open in the fall of 2015.

Mayor Stew Young called it one of the biggest projects the municipality has taken on. “All across Canada, we probably have the best recreational facilities for a town this size.”

[...]

Source

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#5 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:53 PM

Langford strikes deal to build $30-million aquatic centre by 2015

Source

The rendering looks pretty cool. Why can't Downtown attract or pursue this kind of stuff?

#6 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:05 PM

Because Langford doesn't have a dozen layers of bureaucracy to go through and various herritage societies flapping their arms in protest?

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#7 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:48 PM

Because Langford doesn't have a dozen layers of bureaucracy to go through and various herritage societies flapping their arms in protest?

....this. I am no developer but am in Calgary regularly for business. I happened to run into a friend who is a developer on a recent flight to Cowtown prior to Christmas.

He is based on the west coast but has worked on developments both here and in Alberta (and Vancouver) and described in some detail his radically different experiences in dealing with Victoria viz. Calgary as "night and day" with respect to the process of dealing with City Hall, obtaining permits, and prevailing attitudes especially. As he said while Calgary goes out of its way to welcome development Victoria it seems adopts almost a diametrically opposite, almost grudging, approach. Seems we have a micro version of those two opposites right here between the West Shore and Victoria. And it shows too, repeatedly.

#8 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:54 PM

The rendering looks pretty cool. Why can't Downtown attract or pursue this kind of stuff?

I would agree that the City of Victoria does not appear to be particularly innovative with finding alternative ways of getting public type things done. I would also agree that, outside of SOFMC, the City of Victoria has pathetic public recreation facilities.

I don't know much about this deal, but I see that the pool will be built by Westhills, which is a private development company. Westhills probably sees it as an opportunity to attract families to purchase new homes in their massive new residential development, so I would assume some sort of business case is behind their decision.

The first problem I can see with Victoria signing a deal like this is that there are no massive 200+ hectare housing developments happening downtown, that I'm aware of anyway.

#9 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:54 PM

Victoria could have built three of those aquatic centres for what they are spending on the Johnson Street Bridge replacement, and there probably would have been infrastructure money available as well.

#10 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:28 PM

Have we forgotten about the Crystal Pool replacement thread? Whatever eventually gets built there will be considerably more expensive than this Westhills facility (not necessarily very much better, but definitely much more expensive). We puzzled over the high price tag for quite a while, I remember. Question: what size will the main pool be at Westhills? I wish Langford or some other municipality would build another 50m pool so that the city proper doesn't need to build a new one at the new Crystal.

Edit: according to that Crystal Pool thread, the city's estimated cost of replacement back in 2009 was $58 million.

#11 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:33 PM

^ I hear that there was a contract signed recently to keep Crystal Pool up and going into the forseeable future

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#12 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:00 PM

This is a pretty good deal for the developer in any town or city and I don't think that it has too much to do with bureaucracy as much as it is the space and people to get it done.

The developer gets the space tax free and has the City to guarantee the lease with the YMCA. I don't know the deal between the YMCA and Westhills, but I would have to think that it is a pretty decent return on investment with little to no risk. Once the pool is up and running I would bet that Langford pulls funding from JDF.

#13 arfenarf

arfenarf
  • 322 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:30 AM

The TC article says the Westhills pool is only 25m.

:(

The pool at the downtown Y is a dungeon. The aerobic and strength training facilities at the Crystal are a disgrace. I wonder whether the city and the Y could go together on rebuilding both facilities into one?

#14 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:20 AM

The Crystal had a bunch of new machines in the weight room the last time I was there.

#15 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:23 AM

I wonder whether the city and the Y could go together on rebuilding both facilities into one?

That would make too much sense.

A location that would be great is at the Townline Hudson properties. There is going to be a massive amount of underground parking and there are two large sites. Could be a great opportunity for Townline to partner with the city and an organization like the YMCA to integrate public amenities into the Hudson "community" they are trying to sell.

#16 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:00 PM

^ I hear that there was a contract signed recently to keep Crystal Pool up and going into the forseeable future

Except on Family Day February 18th, according to the TC. Only in Victoria, as every other pool is open.

#17 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:33 PM

Except on Family Day February 18th, according to the TC. Only in Victoria, as every other pool is open.

Family Day is February 11?!?
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#18 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:27 PM

Family Day is February 11?!?

That's right, my mistake, and it is slated to be closed then as well. :redface:

#19 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:31 PM

That's right, my mistake, and it is slated to be closed then as well. :redface:

That's okay Bingo... my small keyboard make lots of mistakes on me! :wave:
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#20 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:01 AM

Except on Family Day February [11]th, according to the TC. Only in Victoria, as every other pool is open.

Big surprise that the T-C got it wrong. The City of Victoria FB has this today:

Join us at Crystal Pool and Fitness Centre, 9 a.m. – 4 p.m., on Monday, February 11, for Family Day. The pool, weight room and cardio areas, waterslide and diving boards and three 25m lanes will be available throughout the day. A Fun Leader will run organized games in the afternoon. No fitness or aquafit classes are scheduled.

Admission will be free throughout the day. The City recognizes the support of CUPE Local 50 for their sponsorship of this family event.

For more information, call 250.361.0732.

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users