Photo

Religious Slips of Paper in Mail

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 Dan

Dan
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 02:35 PM

We just got a little stack of printed paragraphs about Jesus and God and the fire of hell and such.

Anyone else got this? Any hints? It's completely unwarranted- My girlfriend is Atheist and I am Buddhist, so we didn't ask for anything remotely close to this.

They're not offensive, just very religous, telling of how we much refer to Jesus by his original name and such.. About 5/6 little slips of paper (wallet-sized). No name, no contact, just the paragraphs of text.

-Dan

#2 Langford Rat

Langford Rat
  • 405 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 02:40 PM

Hhmm...I never really thought about it until just now but.....why do people capitalize the word "atheist"?

#3 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 02:42 PM

^ Latter Day Saints got into your building. The have also been know to collect last names of the buzzers outside the building and mail letters as well.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#4 Dan

Dan
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 02:48 PM

Here's a picture:

#5 SamCB

SamCB
  • 665 posts
  • Locationvictoria

Posted 12 June 2012 - 03:03 PM

^ Latter Day Saints got into your building. The have also been know to collect last names of the buzzers outside the building and mail letters as well.

That is definitely not the work of the Mormons. Looks like a local, outgoing (possibly crazy) person felt like enlightening you.

What's the big deal anyway?

#6 Dan

Dan
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 03:09 PM

It isn't a big deal, I was just curious as to who it was that was doing it.

#7 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 03:56 PM

Hhmm...I never really thought about it until just now but.....why do people capitalize the word "atheist"?

Its common to capitalize the name of anything if its a proper noun. Bob, Devil, God, Atheist.... all the same in regards to proper nouns and the use of a capital.

#8 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 12 June 2012 - 04:13 PM

I got a slip of paper telling me that I needed to buy a bible in an envelope with my name and address hand-written on it from an address on Shelbourne.

Maybe membership is dwindling or something?

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#9 Langford Rat

Langford Rat
  • 405 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 04:23 PM

Believe me, I'm not fishing around for a theological debate but atheism is not a proper noun...that's why I asked the question. It is not a name or a religion. If I said I was a capitalist should I capitalize it?

#10 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 04:52 PM

I only see atheist capitalized to differentiate between normal chill people who just aren't religious, and those who really annoying make it their key defining trait as if it was their religion.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#11 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 12 June 2012 - 05:04 PM

And here I was thinking that this thread was going to turn into a religious debate. Who would have known it would become a grammar lesson? :P

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#12 Langford Rat

Langford Rat
  • 405 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 05:50 PM

My apologies folks. Somehow I had forgotten that prescriptivism...oops Prescriptivism was only to be discussed over in the "How did we become so reliant on government" thread. Mods......please move as you see fit.

#13 bluefox

bluefox

ex-Victorian

• 697 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 06:08 PM

Here's a picture:

[ snip ]

That would be the Jehovah's Witnesses at work.

(one of the clippings you have in the pic references Yahweh, Yahweh = Jehovah)
(Not the owner of, nor am I associated with, the Blue Fox Café, in any way.)

#14 LJ

LJ
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 06:39 PM

And here I was thinking that this thread was going to turn into a religious debate. Who would have known it would become a grammar lesson? :P

Well since you asked....

I got a slip of paper telling me that I needed to buy a bible in an envelope with my name and address hand-written on it from an address on Shelbourne.

you needed to buy a bible in an envelope.......???:teacher:
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#15 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 06:39 PM

That's no official JW document. Some guy handed me that paper not too long ago. This is what happens when someone with mental health issues gets wrapped up in fringe religions.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#16 LJ

LJ
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 06:41 PM

That would be the Jehovah's Witnesses at work.

(one of the clippings you have in the pic references Yahweh, Yahweh = Jehovah)

Who is Jehoshua then?
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#17 phx

phx
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 06:44 PM

I got those clippings also.

#18 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 08:48 PM

Who is Jehoshua then?

I think it's just a spelling variant. Hebrew is one of those languages for which it's hard to find an adequate English sound or letter when translating.

The scary thing is that it all makes perfect sense inside his head. On paper, it's a mess.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#19 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,512 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 09:24 PM

Yahwey is the term for God going back to ancient (pre-Christian) times. It does not explicitly refer to Jehovah.

I recall getting a similar packet of religious notes several months ago. The utilitarian presentation of the materials struck me as a hokey way to spread a religious message.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#20 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 06:13 AM

Believe me, I'm not fishing around for a theological debate but atheism is not a proper noun...that's why I asked the question. It is not a name or a religion. If I said I was a capitalist should I capitalize it?

Proper nouns are a name used for an individual person, place, or organization, spelled with initial capital letters.

So if I say I am a Capitalist, yes. If you refer to capitalism no.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users