Reporting Tip Income to the CRA

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#41 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 08:14 PM

Well generally you used to hope for 15 at cash out but you never know right. I couple of stingy tables and you are in trouble. So the server is getting 10 percent hopefully and 5 to the rest.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#42 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 06:06 AM

Last time I spoke with a buddy of mine at the CRA he told me that 90% of investigations of restaurants started with a tip from a disgruntled (ex)employee. Something to think about!

#43 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 10 August 2012 - 06:43 AM

I don't understand the ire behind people's comments, of these supposed robber baron managers shaking down poor, defenceless servers. On a busy night, a manager essentially fulfills the role of a support staff, bussing tables, running and expediting food and hosting - not to mention his/her managerial duties. So the manager runs his/her ass off and the server walks out with $200 in tips. What you guys should be more pissed off about is waitstaff complaining or outright stiffing the house when it comes to sharing their tips.

I remember the days of sweating in filth, washing dishes and overhearing waitstaff bîtch as they dropped their plates off, about how much they have to tip out the kitchen, usually as the manager walked by to remind them to pick up the three paycheques sitting in his office that they keep forgetting to pick up, because the tips are so good that they forget that they get a paycheque on top of it. Seriously, give your heads a shake.

#44 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 07:43 AM

^ Also a good point. And right back on topic of taxes ;)

It has a whole new look!

#45 OSJ

OSJ
  • 311 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 07:20 AM

i never expect any sort of tips when i am helping out in the pub, thats my job as a manager.
as for the tips, the server tips the bartender a % of there total sales, and they tip the kitchen a % on food sales.
so if you have a big table of tourists that dont tip, the table actually costs the server money cause they need to tip the bar out of there own pocket. this happens more than you think downtown.
Paving the way for beer bars on the island!

#46 kenjh

kenjh
  • 310 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 12:09 PM

Ok ..this has been a learning experience ..I did not know tip's were considered income..or that the kitchen staff got anything ..my stint washing dishes at La'Tora Della on govenment st helped me get a better job away from that line of work..I am pretty sure most people going to a restaurant don't know anything other then the person that comes to the table and tip according to how the service is ..I never tip when I get poor service ,,and I don't have high expectations in most places .

#47 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 10:24 AM

Effective today, the CRA office on Vancouver Street does not accept drop-ins.

Office address:
1415 Vancouver Street
Victoria BC V8V 3W4
Fax: 250-363-8188

Attention: Payment and enquiry counter services

Effective October 1, 2013, payment and enquiry counter services are no longer provided at this location. An external drop box is available for correspondence and payments.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#48 kenjh

kenjh
  • 310 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 09:51 PM

so no service , but we still have to send them money ?? for what ??the older I get the less I understand..

#49 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 07:31 AM

so no service , but we still have to send them money ?? for what ??the older I get the less I understand..

It is actually much easier to do it all online or on the phone
The fed are also not sending cheques in the mail any longer iys all direct deposit now.

The whole system is better now.
No standing in line ups no looking for parking

#50 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 02 October 2013 - 07:44 AM

It is actually much easier to do it all online or on the phone
The fed are also not sending cheques in the mail any longer iys all direct deposit now.

The whole system is better now.
No standing in line ups no looking for parking

Try calling the CRA's business line at any time of day and let me know when you get anything other than a busy signal.

#51 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 07:53 AM

The last income tax refund I saw was a cheque. How would they know what bank account to put the next one in?

#52 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 08:14 AM

Ya, it's not mandatory yet.

http://www.cra-arc.g...t_dpst-eng.html
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#53 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 08:19 AM

Pretty much all my interaction with the CRA is online for both taxes and a business account I have. Why anyone would actually want to go to the office is beyond me. I guess if you are not computer literate it may be an issue.

It has a whole new look!

#54 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 08:25 AM

Why anyone would actually want to go to the office is beyond me. I guess if you are not computer literate it may be an issue.

Because it was the best way to get a detailed receipt and to get your GST remittance stamped as "Paid". You could also hold onto your remittance cheque until the last day, instead of remitting earlier like you have to with online, which can be a cash management advantage for some businesses.

But yeah, generally I agree that filing online is the way to go.

#55 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 08:28 AM

The last income tax refund I saw was a cheque. How would they know what bank account to put the next one in?

You need to tell them by filling out a form and you can do it online its much better than waiting for the mail

#56 http

http

Data Sans Practicality

• 1,029 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 11:33 AM

This restauranteur in San Diego has experimented with killing tipping, and a pair of researchers in Guelph (von Massow and McAdams) are looking at it also. The two most likely approaches to bring an end to it are gender discrimination and civil rights violations.

I've never understood the rationale behind tipping. If this guy is right, there isn't one.
"Who are those slashdot people? They swept over like Mongol-Tartars." - F. E. Vladimirovna

#57 James Bay walker

James Bay walker

CustomUserTitle

• 638 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 02 October 2013 - 12:22 PM

There are a couple higher end restaurants in town that pool all grats and divvy them up based on hours worked. It can serve to enhance the team environment as the better everyone works, the better everyones tips are.

As has been pointed out, that serves to reward the lowest common denominator (the one(s) who earn the least tips / provide the poorest service). They've no incentive to improve, quite the reverse if anything, and the harder workers are receiving the worst bargain as they're 'supporting' those at the low end of the scale. "Team spirit", yeah, right!

Also, to be frank, I think it incredibly lazy of the management to 'pool' all the tips; there's at least initially a record of which server's involved. It ought not be rocket science to take a moment to set up a mechanism that does as most restaurants do: properly allocate the tip chosen by the customer to the server who actually earned it. A modest delay in processing's expected but more than a few days or at most a week, seems excessive. Servers who are 'hard up', end up having to 'draw' on their anticipated tips, a nuisance all around.

jbw

editted to add: And, jeesh! What about the customers who learn of this scheme?? a) they'll take their business elsewhere, and, b) those who remain will stick to token amounts for tips (or much worse, choose to tip nothing as they're in disagreement with the management policy, or are simply cheap and figure, the other customers have probably tipped enough, so why add to it?)

#58 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 02 October 2013 - 02:57 PM

This restauranteur in San Diego has experimented with killing tipping, and a pair of researchers in Guelph (von Massow and McAdams) are looking at it also. The two most likely approaches to bring an end to it are gender discrimination and civil rights violations.

I've never understood the rationale behind tipping. If this guy is right, there isn't one.

Very interesting series of articles by that restauranteur, thanks for the link. Too bad he turned down the national TV spots, would have helped bring this into the spotlight more.
I wonder how this would apply locally. His examples have cooks payed ~50% or more LESS than servers, due to tips, even after a tip-out. Is that realistic here (I have no idea)? In most restaurants, a server is working just as hard as a cook in my opinion, the exception may be busy take-out places.

#59 patrick venton

patrick venton
  • 135 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 03:19 PM

tipping in union bars, she has to look good. tipping in non union bars, she doesnt need to look so good.... they get the same tip as the guys...

#60 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 03:52 PM

As has been pointed out, that serves to reward the lowest common denominator (the one(s) who earn the least tips / provide the poorest service). They've no incentive to improve, quite the reverse if anything, and the harder workers are receiving the worst bargain as they're 'supporting' those at the low end of the scale. "Team spirit", yeah, right!

I agree, lame. But then again, the best servers would never work in a place like this, once they had a taste of the right way to do it.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users