Photo

Reporting Tip Income to the CRA

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#61 phx

phx
  • 1,860 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 05:22 PM

The last income tax refund I saw was a cheque. How would they know what bank account to put the next one in?

If you give them your bank account info, they'll snoop through your account while depositing your refund.

#62 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 07:16 PM

^ Yeah I don't think so.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#63 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 07:20 PM

^ ^ they can do a lot without any kind of judicial order (like freeze and garnish), but snooping at your accounts is not one of them.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#64 phx

phx
  • 1,860 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 07:55 PM

It was in the news a while back. They were indeed snooping.

#65 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 08:04 PM

Can't find it. Please post link.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#66 phx

phx
  • 1,860 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 08:17 PM

It was a few years ago now, so not sure how to find anything.

If I recall correctly, they felt they had been given access to the accounts so needed no further permission to look around.

#67 Dimitrios

Dimitrios
  • 316 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 09:09 PM

I agree, lame. But then again, the best servers would never work in a place like this, once they had a taste of the right way to do it.

Well, I'm pretty new to this topic, but if you read through all of the articles linked by HTTP, you get a few interesting bits of research that run counter to this. One of them was the authors' anecdotes that the better servers at his restaurants never even looked at their tips until the end of the night. Another was a string of hospitality research articles suggesting that people's tipping was only very slightly affected by service (people tend to be big or small tippers, and typically don't vary their amounts by that much); furthermore, a server's financial incentive was very clearly biased towards serving more customers (quantity), rather than better service (quality).

Anyway, though it's a long read, the articles are pretty compelling. Someone with more experience than I might have some better critique.

#68 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 09:16 PM

Well, I'm pretty new to this topic, but if you read through all of the articles linked by HTTP, you get a few interesting bits of research that run counter to this. One of them was the authors' anecdotes that the better servers at his restaurants never even looked at their tips until the end of the night. Another was a string of hospitality research articles suggesting that people's tipping was only very slightly affected by service (people tend to be big or small tippers, and typically don't vary their amounts by that much); furthermore, a server's financial incentive was very clearly biased towards serving more customers (quantity), rather than better service (quality).

Anyway, though it's a long read, the articles are pretty compelling. Someone with more experience than I might have some better critique.

Yes, I hear you. As some of you know, I do a bit of consulting on a very light basis for some members in the hospitality industry, and I'm continually amazed at how some, or even most service staff are not motivated by performance incentives (tips, bonuses).
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#69 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 08:16 AM

It was a few years ago now, so not sure how to find anything.

https://www.google.ca/

This would have been huge news (had it happened), and I'd appreciate the link.

Giving somebody the authorization to directly deposit or withdraw funds from your bank account does not give them any ability or authority to access your bank account records. If you are being audited, they can request bank account records or even get a court order, but they can't "snoop".

#70 phx

phx
  • 1,860 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 11:42 AM

This would have been huge news (had it happened), and I'd appreciate the link.

It did get fair bit of coverage in the news media at the time.

Giving somebody the authorization to directly deposit or withdraw funds from your bank account does not give them any ability or authority to access your bank account records. If you are being audited, they can request bank account records or even get a court order, but they can't "snoop".

Remember, this is the CRA we are talking about.

#71 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 01:25 PM

http://www.thestar.c...ly_members.html

Is that what you're referring too?

#72 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 01:48 PM

It did get fair bit of coverage in the news media at the time.

Proof please? Otherwise, your claims are completely off base and there's nothing worth talking about. If it was in the media at one time, there must still be something out there about it. I can't find anything, and this isn't something that would just disappear from the interwebs. :)

#73 Benezet

Benezet
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 05:07 PM

Yes, I hear you. As some of you know, I do a bit of consulting on a very light basis for some members in the hospitality industry, and I'm continually amazed at how some, or even most service staff are not motivated by performance incentives (tips, bonuses).

:-) I'm surprised that you're surprised. I've yet to see a tip result in better service than a sincere show of appreciation and respect from the customer. Perhaps it's time to read up on motivation theory.

#74 phx

phx
  • 1,860 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 06:27 PM

http://www.thestar.c...ly_members.html

Is that what you're referring too?

No, that's not it.

The news media don't provide online archives. It's tough to find a story from last month, let alone years ago.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users