Photo

[Jubilee] Royal Jubilee Hospital Patient Care Centre | 32.5m | 8-storeys | Built - completed in 2011

Civic

• Please log in to reply
445 replies to this topic

#401 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 07:08 AM

Yeah I heard the concrete contractor is going to hock the crane to pay for the failing concrete slabs and the lawsuit that is pending. Amazing how quiet this little multi-million dollar blunder has been kept!

2010 flashback!

Insurer must cover Royal Jubilee Hospital concrete repairs

http://www.timescolo...pairs-1.1322099

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#402 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,544 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 07:35 AM

Holy smokes, well there you have it.

At the time we had received a call from the contractor who was quite upset that the information had been posted.

I believe even a VIHA spokeswoman had contacted us as well to deny the claims.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#403 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 11:10 AM

Future expansion plans for RJH:

The Vancouver Island Health Authority estimates it will need to increase patient capacity at the Royal Jubilee Hospital by 200 beds...roughly 50 per cent...over the next 20 years.

#404 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,544 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 11:17 AM

I thought they had excess capacity in the new building they just built?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#405 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 11:34 AM

Perhaps that excess capacity is expected to be well used-up within 20 years. Even with limited local population growth, an ageing demographic is quite likely to consume more healthcare resources over the next couple of decades. Damn baby boomers.

#406 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,147 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 01:14 PM

I just returned from there a couple of minutes ago from visiting a friend who just had a hip replaced.

VERY nice digs. Roomy, bright, fresh air, quiet.

I can't wait.

• Mike K. and LocalMom like this

#407 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 01:29 PM

200 extra beds by 2013 actually seems pretty conservative.  Good stuff.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#408 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 01:37 PM

200 extra beds by 2013 actually seems pretty conservative.  Good stuff.

Hopefully they were needed 2 years ago... :P

#409 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 04:17 PM

200 extra beds by 2013 actually seems pretty conservativel. Good stuff.

We do realize that is 2015 right?

Oops... NPARKER beat me.

Edited by sdwright.vic, 29 July 2015 - 04:17 PM.

Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#410 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 04:37 PM

Sorry meant 2030.
  • Nparker likes this

#411 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 04:37 PM

I've scheduled one hip for 2033, one for 2035.
  • Nparker likes this

#412 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 30 July 2015 - 07:30 AM

Forget that. I'm looking into consciousness transfer by the time I hit 70.

#413 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 01:50 PM

I've scheduled one hip for 2033, one for 2035.

Heck they can make those things on a 3D printer already, but you will need to watch out that they don't give you two left hips.

#414 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 17 October 2015 - 08:37 AM

what use is this story without a link to the plan? argh

At least one member of Victoria Council worries that Island Health's long term plan for growth at Royal Jubilee Hospital might be too conservative.

Geoff Young says the health authority has been extremely accommodating during several years of neighbourhood meetings, in the development of a master plan that finally came before Council this week.

It does anticipate a need for new buildings to increase patient capacity by about 50 per cent...

"I'm just a little tiny bit worried that maybe as a result of those discussions the possibilities for future development on the site have been a little too constrained".

Young says keeping a major metropolitan hospital within the city limits is desirable.

http://www.cfax1070....ve-reception-at

the old story from june said at 140 square metres/bed so that works out to 28,000 square metres, or more than 300,000sqft. & that new jawl building on douglas is only 200,000.

Edited by amor de cosmos, 17 October 2015 - 08:37 AM.

#415 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,544 posts

Posted 17 October 2015 - 09:08 AM

The Jawl development on Douglas is 300k square feet between the two buildings.

Know it all.

#416 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 17 October 2015 - 10:14 AM

what use is this story without a link to the plan? argh.

Here is the plan:

http://www.viha.ca/a...master-plan.htm

And here is the agenda for the Oct 15th PLUC that it went to:

https://victoria.civ...t.aspx?ID=89649

#417 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 17 October 2015 - 11:45 AM

back in the 70s erickson said

Hospitals of ancient Greece gave the patient the best diet, in the best architecture and contact with the great philosophers and one's religion. The mind and the soul were part of the cure. We have a long way to go to equal that. We might get another chance to do another hospital, and if we do, all that I have learned will be of enormous value.

...it took a long time to sift through my own mind what a medical centre was meant to be. I had been quite ill several years before with a very bad attack of colitis from nervous tension, and I remembered that the worst thing about it was not the sickness but the demoralization. I also kept remembering one of the most beautiful places I have ever been, on my student travels in Turkey in 1950. In the ancient Greek ruins at Pergamus was a health centre at the head of a valley with a library, a temple to the God of Health, a bath, a theatre and a curative spring and hanging right out over the valley in one corner was the round building for the hospital beds. All the arts were there in their finest form. From the beds and from the collonade there was a view down the valley for miles. Here was beauty in every aspect; the treatment was of the whole person. By exposure to the finest things, you regained confidence, and faith in your culture and yourself. Before the BC government changed and our scheme was dropped, our medical people worked out one of the most innovative plants in North America.

I wonder if this could be a chance to restore Bowker Creek &/or develop a proper park area in that corner? maybe it wouldn't be worth the effort, or the creek doesn't need restoring, but I doubt they'll want to put any new buildings over there & it's a way of using the empty space they have in that corner. the plan mentions the creek as an asset & management of stormwater being important but maybe they're not taking full advantage of it.

so32ac.jpg

Edited by amor de cosmos, 17 October 2015 - 12:00 PM.

• Mr Cook Street likes this

#418 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 17 October 2015 - 11:56 AM

back in the 70s erickson said

I wonder if this could be a chance to restore Bowker Creek &/or develop a park area in that corner? maybe it wouldn't be worth the effort, or the creek doesn't need restoring, but I doubt they'll want to put any new buildings over there & it's a way of using some empty space they have in that corner. the plan mentions it as an asset & management of stormwater being important but maybe they're not taking full advantage of the creek running through the hospital grounds.

so32ac.jpg

Some of that land is owned by the school and some by BC Hydro (I think, I know they own the portion north of Haultain). Given Island Catholic schools wants to close St Patricks, it would be a great opportunity for Island Health to get some additional expansion land, close the bikeway gap and restore parts of Bowker Creek.

• Bingo and Mr Cook Street like this

#419 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 01:22 PM

The (Pretty Much Totally) Complete Health Case for Urban Nature
An annotated, chart-filled look at the scientific evidence.
Eric Jaffe
Oct 20, 2015

I’m not a doctor, but I do sit near one in The Atlantic’s New York office. So you can trust me to know that MD-in-residence James Hamblin is on to something when he writes in the magazine’s October issue about the rising appreciation among physicians for the health benefits of parks and green space. Hamblin writes of “a small but growing group of health-care professionals who are essentially medicalizing nature”:

At his office in Washington, D.C., Robert Zarr, a pediatrician, writes prescriptions for parks. He pulls out a prescription pad and scribbles instructions—which park his obese or diabetic or anxious or depressed patient should visit, on which days, and for how long—just as though he were prescribing medication.

Seems the medical community has finally caught up with insights made by the urban landscape community 150 years ago. In 1865, Frederick Law Olmsted of Central Park design fame called it “a scientific fact” that natural “is favorable to the health and vigor of men.” (And women!) Olmsted jumped the gun on the whole “fact” thing, but time and a whole bunch of modern behavioral research on the nature-health link has proved him wise.

Depression

Happiness and well-being

General health and mortality

Stress

Attention

Child attention

Aggression and restraint

Post-operative recovery

http://www.citylab.c...-nature/411331/
  • Mr Cook Street likes this

#420 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 01:20 PM

14292356_1278647258821610_7506171417063153272_n.jpg

• Nparker likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users