• Please log in to reply
243 replies to this topic

#41 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,502 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 13 February 2016 - 10:17 AM

The city has reluctantly approved a demolition permit for the house at 902 Foul Bay.

Only in Victoria would council show reluctance to grant a demolition permit to a burned out shell of a house. 

• Nparker and theboss like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#42 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 10:21 AM

The developer is Earl Large, correct? I checked his company website for info about a meeting but don't see anything posted.

(Hey, 501 posts!)

I would have to get dressed to go downstairs to find the note. If it is still there when I go out about noon, and the time of the meeting hasn't passed, I will post the info here.

• Mike K. likes this

#43 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 11:04 AM

Only in Victoria would council show reluctance to grant a demolition permit to a burned out shell of a house. 

With all of those cats that lived there it was going to have to be demolished one way or another.

#44 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 11:39 AM

You should familiarize yourself with the story of 1195 Fort Street. After a devastating fire several years ago it was assumed the smartest thing to do would be to continue with a full demolition. The owners decided instead to do a full heritage restoration. A wise decision.

http://www.victoriah...d/Fort1195.html
  • sebberry likes this

#45 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 12:05 PM

Perhaps it's an indication of that restoration's success that I had completely forgotten about the fire at 1195 Fort.

#46 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 12:18 PM

I would have to get dressed to go downstairs to find the note. If it is still there when I go out about noon, and the time of the meeting hasn't passed, I will post the info here.

Photo below of notice. Meeting is 1:30 - 3 pm at Fairfield Community Hall, 1330 Fairfield Rd.

Now I'm going to be late for work!

Attached Images

• 902 Foul Bay Rd.jpg

#47 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 12:21 PM

Perhaps it's an indication of that restoration's success that I had completely forgotten about the fire at 1195 Fort.

. It was around 1998 so you know it would have been replaced with one of those peach stucco condo monstrosities of the era. A bullet was dodged there.
  • Jill likes this

#48 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 02:55 PM

20160213_135724_004.jpg

20160213_135907_004.jpg

#49 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 03:27 PM

The original demolition request(April 2, 2015) was denied(that problem seems to have sorted itself out) how common is it for municipalities to deny demolition permits based on heritage value?

Oak Bay(directly across the street) for instance has had mobs protesting the tearing down of heritage houses yet that I can recall Oak Bay has never actually denied a demolition permit.

#50 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 06:04 AM

http://www.caprent.c...or.aspx#pricing

Pretty big fire there last night.  Gonna displace many tenants.  I've got to think fire and water damage there will take out a dozen suites.

Sparky?

Video, taken before and as fire crews arrived:  https://www.facebook...89112097902984/

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#51 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,088 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 06:52 AM

^ Great video that the Victoria Buzz contributor sent in.

What we are finding now, is that in addition to the fire and water damage, buildings of this vintage are most likely constructed with drywall that contained asbestos. So as we saw in the View Towers fire, they had to block off the access to areas that were damaged....as well as the areas that were damaged.

This fire in this video appears to be in the corner of the building on a lower floor. This location will have a lesser effect on future occupancy than if the fire was located in the center of the building on a higher floor where water damage would be greater and access to fire escapes would be more of a concern.

In order for a building to be re-occupied after a major event, the areas being occupied need to comply with the building code. If an area is going to be blocked off due to construction, (say in the middle of a corridor)  and appropriate access to two routes of fire escape is compromised by that construction, even undamaged suites will not be allowed to be re-occupied.

This is why it was unprofessional of some reporters of the View Towers situation to say that the owner was to blame for not allowing some residents to return to their suite when their suite was not damaged. They were typing with emotions and assumptions instead of taking the time to understand the challenges that these types of events present.

#52 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 08:42 AM

More aftermath.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3h8sTVgqvvY

Sparky, how long to get it certified for occupancy?  Or do you think some/most residents can stay in now, with increased fire-watch until the systems are back up and running? 

I suppose it's a good sign that the firemen are walking on the floor of the unit where flames were really coming out.

Kudos to ESQUIMALT CHURCH OF THE NAZARENE866 Craigflower Road, that took in residents very early into the fire.

• Nparker likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#53 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,088 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 11:56 AM

^ Hard to say at this point as to what the extent of the damage might be. I will have more information soon.

#54 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,502 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 28 February 2016 - 11:59 AM

What we are finding now, is that in addition to the fire and water damage, buildings of this vintage are most likely constructed with drywall that contained asbestos.

Does the amount of asbestos in old drywall contribute in any way to its fire resistance?  Or was that not the purpose of asbestos in old drywall?

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#55 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 12:03 PM

Does the amount of asbestos in old drywall contribute in any way to its fire resistance?  Or was that not the purpose of asbestos in old drywall?

Partly, but I think it's more for strength.  Same as it was used in drywall joint compound (mud), to minimize shrinkage when drying.

Honestly, if it wasn't for its propensity to kill people, it would be quite the useful and versatile fibre.  You'd think the town of Asbestos, QC would change their name now.

#56 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 02:03 PM

12:35pm, the TC is on the story.

Investigation underway into Esquimalt apartment fire

...About 50 people in total were evacuated, he said. “We had to break down a bunch of doors to make sure we had all the occupants out of the building.”

B.C. Transit buses carried people to a nearby hotel. Some chose to stay with relatives. Emergency social services were on hand to assist.

The cause of the fire is not known and is being investigated, Saurette said.

Apartment tenants will not be permitted back today because of concerns over air quality and asbestos. If tenants need anything, a firefighter will accompany them into the building to retrieve it, he said.

#57 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 02:22 PM

Pretty good contained to one suite, because that flame was really pouring out.

#58 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 12:03 PM

Esquimalt fire victims might be allowed home today

More than four dozen tenants — including a young family new to Canada — remain without homes this morning after fire broke out in a four-storey apartment building in Esquimalt on Saturday night.

“We’re hoping to get some back in today but that will depend on air quality testing to be done in terms of any health risk,” Esquimalt Asstistant Fire Chief Ray Saurette said Monday.

Everyone escaped and no one was injured. However, the cause of the fire remains under investigation, said Saurette.

#59 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 01 April 2016 - 08:30 PM

20160324_115437.jpg

#60 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,502 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 27 April 2016 - 06:29 PM

Who sets fire to stuffed animals of all things?  Children's toys for crying out loud...

A rack of stuffed animals at Mayfair Shopping Centre’s Toys “R” Us store bore the brunt of a fire on Wednesday afternoon.

Store employees reported the blaze about 2:05 p.m. after first using an extinguisher on it, said Victoria Fire Department Capt. Michael Schrank.

“Cause is undetermined at this time,” Schrank said. “The origin was in the area of the stuffed animals, but whether the animals were actually lit or the tags on the animals or maybe display price tags, it’s pretty hard to tell.”

[...]

http://www.timescolo...-r-us-1.2241492

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users