BUILT
1008 Pandora
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 1008 Pandora Avenue
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 6
1008 Pandora is a six-storey, mixed-use purpose-built rental and ground floor commercial building on Pandora A... (view full profile)
Learn more about 1008 Pandora on Citified.ca
Photo

[North Park] 1008 Pandora | Rentals; commercial | 6-storeys | Built - completed in 2019

Rental Commercial

• Please log in to reply
1984 replies to this topic

#81 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:43 AM

I am thinking that perhaps there has been a turnover again at the NPNA.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#82 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:15 AM

I am thinking that perhaps there has been a turnover again at the NPNA.

There has been, Alex retired from NPNA.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#83 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 05:04 PM

A proposal for a new 200-unit building shows competing visions for a quiet North Park neighbourhood.

It’s almost warm in the sun on this cold clear day as I walk down Mason Street, which runs parallel to Pandora, just off Cook Street. On my left is a modest park. A few trees. Couple of benches. A small playground where two mothers push their kids on swings. Two older women sit and talk on a bench. A Hipsterish couple walk their dog. Across the street a young guy with a beard talks to his cell phone and leans against the brick wall of a coffee shop called Yoka’s.

http://focusonline.ca/?q=node/512
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#84 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:28 PM

Please... Love the title of the authors photo spread at the end.

It has a whole new look!

#85 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:25 PM

#86 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:11 AM

This is a serious urban design, something this part of town could use.

In the Focus article it said that some area residents don't like the idea of the building's courtyard being off access to the general public. I wonder what they think about the backyard of any house, which is also off access to the public? (If these folks want public space they should look to the park next door!)

#87 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,164 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:38 AM

I love it. That's a great design.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#88 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:40 AM

Much better than I first thought. In fact it is just about perfect. I can't tell if there are two cut out portions of the building to allow sun onto Mason but it looks like there could be. Set back upper areas. The townhouses along the park will make this one of the great urban spaces of the city.

I love how the article makes it seem like an evil developer ploy that the public is not allowed into the common areas of the building. I am sure lots of residential places in Victoria would like random people going into their common areas.

This is such a great thing for North Park who is ALWAYS complaining about being the dumping ground for the city. Here is a nice building near the methadone clinic and shelter that will bring a different and large set of people into the neighbourhood which will discourage some of the unsavoury elements that are so often seen in Franklin Green and all anyone can say is it is not like what we have now. Well what is there now is not working!

It has a whole new look!

#89 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:51 AM

Site plan

#90 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:01 AM

The townhouses along the park will make this one of the great urban spaces of the city.

I agree, all those homes facing the park makes the park safer at all hours.

I love how the article makes it seem like an evil developer ploy that the public is not allowed into the common areas of the building. I am sure lots of residential places in Victoria would like random people going into their common areas.

Yup, and you can see by Dylan's site plan, the courtyard is well inside the project.

This is such a great thing for North Park who is ALWAYS complaining about being the dumping ground for the city. Here is a nice building near the methadone clinic and shelter that will bring a different and large set of people into the neighbourhood which will discourage some of the unsavoury elements that are so often seen in Franklin Green and all anyone can say is it is not like what we have now. Well what is there now is not working!

I agree. Here's a potential population increase of 10% to North Park. And regular folks, renters.

And in the article, hey, I like Wellburn's too, but you know what... The Market on Yates, despite their high prices, probably outsells Wellburn's 5 to 1. I don't think residents should worry one bit about what commercial is planned for the building.

#91 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:05 AM

Yeah, I don't think the City can take that into account in their decision on this proposal.

Competition = good

#92 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:07 AM

This is a great design and I'm impressed any developer is willing to build such a thing in this neighbourhood. This could really help save the area and it's a great design too.

Of course it will be attacked, chopped down, and either killed outright or its quality reduced so severely it will be held up as an example of another cheap bad development, continuing the self-fulfilling prophecy of bad victoria development.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#93 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:29 AM

It definitely looks a lot better than I was expecting. Nice building. The height on the Pandora corner seems fine to me.

For the height obsessed, we should remember that there's a 6-story apartment block in this neighbourhood already, along with a few 4-story blocks. This proposed building looks much better than those older ones do.

However, I do think the shading on Mason Street could actually be a relevant issue in this instance. But if they chop the northeast corner down by one level and maybe expand the cut-out on the north side a bit would people think that was enough?

#94 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:53 AM

^ Agree Aastra. Also by the site plan I can see that there is only the one cut out. I could even see the density just transferred. Go for 6-7 on the Pandora side and 4-5 on the Mason side. Still even as is I am likely to speak in favour at a public hearing.

It has a whole new look!

#95 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:57 AM

What would prevent Wellburn's from relocating to the new spot and the current building be developed. The current Wellburn's building would look amazing with a set back tower coming out of it with the facade maintained and a new building on the surface parking lot.

It has a whole new look!

#96 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,234 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:33 AM

The residents may have a point in the way the parking lot will be accessed. Could the project work with some sort of entrance on Vancouver Street, opposite McDonald's? Then Mason Street could be closed to car traffic, and made into a pedestrian/cycling route from Cook east to Vancouver...and maybe beyond towards downtown.
Don't be so sure.:cool:

#97 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:01 AM

The residents may have a point in the way the parking lot will be accessed. Could the project work with some sort of entrance on Vancouver Street, opposite McDonald's? Then Mason Street could be closed to car traffic, and made into a pedestrian/cycling route from Cook east to Vancouver...and maybe beyond towards downtown.

The entrance ought to be off Pandora, but the City does not like that idea. Vancouver is not ideal, it's a cycle route.

#98 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:31 PM

Why would a coffee shop not want a 200 unit building going in across the street? I really like this plan, I hope this survives and spurs further development down Pandora.

#99 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:39 PM

I think the drawing looks great. Its funny how any change will bring out detractors. This can only bring good things to that area of town.

#100 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:30 PM

I think the drawing looks great. Its funny how any change will bring out detractors. This can only bring good things to that area of town.

/\/\ "Bingo", and I couldn't agree more: as we all know Victoria + Change = Mass Gnashing of Teeth, for whatever reason. Regardless like everyone else here I think this is a great looking proposal and, hopefully, as Mr Cook Street states, would/could serve as a catalyst for further development along a very tired Pandora Ave. We can only hope this one doesn't get torpedoed or - worse - watered down into yet another 'ho-hum' 3-4 storey box, bereft of any real merit or interest. Get it done Victoria....

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users