Photo

[Bicycles] Bike lanes and cycling infrastructure in Victoria and the south Island

• Please log in to reply
11042 replies to this topic

#5081 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 04:27 PM

Saw a guy whipping down the sidewalk on one of those monowheel things yesterday, he was really moving, cool.  Braver than I.

maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 18 November 2017 - 04:28 PM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#5082 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 04:29 PM

I've still only seen one person riding the green bikes.  And I see less and less helmets with the bikes now, less than 2 months in.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#5083 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 04:33 PM

I've still only seen one person riding the green bikes. And I see less and less helmets with the bikes now, less than 2 months in.

Your anecdotes are tired and lazy.

I spoke with the local guy who runs it. They are getting used enough, but really it’s the spring and summer that will be the litmus. Those bikes are essentially worthless. Bikes at Canadian tire cost more. It doesn’t take much for them to cover costs. But really, as a good capitalist boy, what do you care what a private company does?
  • lanforod and Mr.B like this

#5084 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,726 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 09:07 PM

Saw a guy whipping down the sidewalk on one of those monowheel things yesterday, he was really moving...

Clearly, the CoV needs to invest is specialty infrastructure for single-wheeled transport. Those 2-wheeled folks think they own the bike lanes.

#5085 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,528 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 10:22 AM

I’ve NEVER seen anyone riding those bikes but I do see them popping up here and there. Very few have helmets now.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5086 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 10:49 AM

I saw a homeless guy with one. He seemed to of started modifying it to suit his needs.
  • VicHockeyFan likes this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#5087 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 08:41 AM

If you hang out front of Market on Yates for any real period of time, you'll see these bikes used. I often see folks tossing their groceries in the front basket and riding off. Just the other day there was 8 of them parked out front at the after work rush. But ya...helmets...questionable.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#5088 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 08:42 AM

Thank you, I'm here all week.

• nagel likes this

#5089 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 09:38 AM

VHF is well versed on a number of topics, not like some who come on here only for their pet project.

I happen to differ with him on the E&N debate, but he has other tidbit topics that stir the imagination, and that keeps me viewing.

:thumbsup:

• rjag likes this

#5090 Mr.B

Mr.B
  • 139 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 20 November 2017 - 09:54 AM

I’ve NEVER seen anyone riding those bikes but I do see them popping up here and there. Very few have helmets now.

Given the time of year l'm still seeing people riding these things... also seems people have adopted bikes as their 'own' as l'm seeing 2-3 bikes parked in front of the office daily now. 

#5091 nerka

nerka
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 12:29 PM

I've seen dozens in action so far and also observed quite a few appearing and disappearing in my neighbourhood presumably indicating use.

I wonder if people use them as a way to get home from the pub and save on taxi fare.  Not advocating biking under the influence but I'd rather have drunks behind the handlebars than behind the wheel.

#5092 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,726 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 12:55 PM

...I'd rather have drunks behind the handlebars than behind the wheel.

Then this might prove problematic...

IMG_7526dm.jpg

• nerka likes this

#5093 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 01:00 PM

I spoke with the local guy who runs it. They are getting used enough, but really it’s the spring and summer that will be the litmus. Those bikes are essentially worthless. Bikes at Canadian tire cost more. It doesn’t take much for them to cover costs. But really, as a good capitalist boy, what do you care what a private company does?

Isn't the person who "runs it" a local gal?

#5094 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 01:29 PM

No.

#5095 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 07:21 AM

Most people wouldn't care. There is interest because Mayor Helps singled out the company as an example of the fruits of her efforts in bringing 50 people to China. According to Ms. Helps, the company was going to set up shop in Seattle or Austin until she intervened and brought them to Victoria instead. As a result, people are following the company to see if all of the effort was worth it.

According to the Mayor, Grace Min runs U-bicycle unless she is already out.

• A Girl is No one likes this

#5096 nerka

nerka
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 04:04 PM

http://www.victoria.ca/EN/main/residents/transportation/cycling.html

Some upcoming opportunities for input on next bike lanes.

#5097 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 24 November 2017 - 09:27 PM

Uh-oh

https://amp.theguard...strys-arrogance
  • Nparker, Bingo and sdwright.vic like this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#5098 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 12:30 PM

Hope that they weren't the tech provider for our own U-bicycle.

#5099 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 01:48 PM

I'm really afraid to imagine what Wharf Street will become when they add the bike lanes. It's already a nightmare. Traffic builds up at the slightest provocation, especially when people cross Wharf at the crosswalk near Bastion Square. There won't be a thought to how to make auto traffic move smoothly.

• RoadRunner likes this
Don't be so sure.:cool:

#5100 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,528 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 01:51 PM

On which side of the road will the bike lane be built? What we really need on Wharf Street is a coordinated pedestrian crossing light at the Bastion crosswalk and the Fort Street crosswalk. Time them together and allow pedestrians to cross at the same time.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users