Photo

[Bicycles] Bike lanes and cycling infrastructure in Victoria and the south Island

• Please log in to reply
11042 replies to this topic

#5441 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 10:51 AM

... There is however the other side of the story, perhaps they did receive advice about the true costs and Council instructed staff to change the numbers ....that's a whole different ball game.

I know of 1 very senior long term Manager at CoV that quit a while back for the very reason that advice was repeatedly given and repeatedly ignored. It got to the point where the strain was too much and this person decided their health was more important than banging their head against a wall...

It's the same in any politically-driven organization; sometimes advice isn't going to fit the predetermined narrative.

Edited by Nparker, 09 December 2017 - 08:11 AM.

#5442 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 945 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 11:16 AM

Before this disappears from the City's website:

How can the mayor now say that there was no budget of $7.75 million? It says so right there, on the City of Victoria's official website, that there was and is a budget of $7.75 million. 

The mayor is essentially saying the electorate was lied to because the $7.75 million figure was just a pie-in-the-sky total that was never serious.

So is this the MO of the City of Victoria since the Johnson Street Bridge, to tell taxpayers project A will cost X, but knowing the total cost will be X+Y*Z?

Maybe some of those confidential papers flew off the mayors bicycle when she was peddling home could happen.
I guess those confidential papers could have also been misplaced at her house with the other ones she says she has laying around .
Didn't your dog ever eat your homework as a kid .
A neighbour's dog ate mine more than once .
I know ...the recycling truck could have ate the original cost documents.
Lots of possibilities.
I don't believe our wonderful mayor would purposely deceive us .
Geez
  • Mike K. likes this

#5443 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 12:53 PM

Someone sent us a photo to our Facebook page depicting a large delivery truck jutting out into the a Fort Street travel lane forcing vehicles to inch into the adjacent lane.

That road has become a mess.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5444 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 01:11 PM

Someone sent us a photo to our Facebook page depicting a large delivery truck jutting out into the a Fort Street travel lane forcing vehicles to inch into the adjacent lane.

That road has become a mess.

Ya, it does look a little tight.  It's just plain odd to see two travel lanes so tight up against all the parked cars.  There is nothing else like it in the city.  You definitely want to take care as you get in/out of your car if you park on the right side.  Well, and passengers too if you park on the left.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 08 December 2017 - 01:13 PM.

• Nparker likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#5445 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 01:18 PM

I think it could very well be the tightest thoroughfare now for travel lanes and parked cars. Is that right?
  • rmpeers likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5446 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 08:09 AM

If someone parks on Fort St. and has to cross the bike lane to get to the sidewalk and they collide with a cyclist, who's at fault?

#5447 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 08:19 AM

If someone parks on Fort St. and has to cross the bike lane to get to the sidewalk and they collide with a cyclist, who's at fault?

The pedestrian.

This morning I saw a green bike fully adorned with all the trappings of a homeless hoarder.  Either that person is not doing homelessness properly (paying $1 every 1/2 hour for their ride/belongings storage) or they have overridden the bike's security system.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#5448 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 08:20 AM

The pedestrian.

This morning I saw a green bike fully adorned with all the trappings of a homeless hoarder.  Either that person is not doing homelessness properly (paying $1 every 1/2 hour for their ride/belongings storage) or they have overridden the bike's security system.

Or the City is paying for free passes for the homeless. You need a credit card and a $50 deposit to rent a bike.

Edited by spanky123, 09 December 2017 - 08:21 AM.

• Nparker, Matt R. and Love the rock like this

#5449 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 08:22 AM

^ Visa/MC Debit card works too.

#5450 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 08:24 AM

The sidewalk in front of the North Park Bicycle Shop is now the parking place for 2 green bikes, at least as of 5:00 PM last night.

#5451 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 December 2017 - 10:52 AM

Perhaps a little off topic but as we can see Cook St. from our house, just wondering....yesterday they changed the streetlight in front of us to one so bright it's blinding. It's shining right in our front windows and lighting up everything. Now it's hard to sleep. Is this in preparation for nighttime cycling? I hate it. When I look out my window it's aimed right at us...you can't even keep your eyes open. They left the others on the street as is. I can see another complaint I will have to make.

Nope, just "using less electricity and saving the planet". 

They're switching all the street lights from HPS to LED lamps.  I too am not sold on this from a safety perspective. 

http://www.victoria....nt-project.html

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#5452 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 11:23 AM

^ Visa/MC Debit card works too.

True but do most homeless people have one?

#5453 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 12:55 PM

True but do most homeless people have one?

Most have had a Visa/MC.

#5454 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 04:25 PM

Nope, just "using less electricity and saving the planet". 

They're switching all the street lights from HPS to LED lamps.  I too am not sold on this from a safety perspective. 

http://www.victoria....nt-project.html

Thanks, I'll be sending them a message for sure. I feel like I'm living in a prison or an airport runway. Certainly doesn't add any ambiance to the neighbourhood and unless they want to light up our driveway, it's made no difference on the road.

#5455 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 December 2017 - 04:39 PM

They're awful in more ways than one, and I contend they make driving less safe.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#5456 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 04:22 PM

I'm pleased to report that yesterday I saw a guy take a green bike. 

He checked the tires, then he read some of the instructions, he whipped out his phone and then credit card, and about 6 minutes later was on his way up Courtney. 

No helmet.  So that's the second guy I've seen on one.  And my friend told me he used on once.

While checking out the bridge, I came across this one that was being used by a local resident, who shall remain nameless.

On close examination it seems like both brake cables went to the front wheel only, but I could be wrong.

I had a bike once that only had brakes up front and I went over the handlebars several times.

However, today everyone wears a helmet, except this green bike didn't have one ready to go.

IMG_8284.JPG

#5457 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 04:26 PM

No, most all the helmets are gone from Green bikes.

#5458 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 04:30 PM

Earlier today on Elk Lake Drive I came across this dangerous situation. 

I thought about it for awhile and came to realize that with a cold snap the road could become icy in this location.

Cyclists commuting through the area might need to carry chains.

IMG_8277.JPG

#5459 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 04:37 PM

Earlier today on Elk Lake Drive I came across this dangerous situation. 

I thought about it for awhile and came to realize that with a cold snap the road could become icy in this location.

Cyclists commuting through the area might need to carry chains.

IMG_8277.JPG

Indeed: https://twitter.com/...719560496132096

• Bingo likes this

#5460 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 10:12 PM

That is ironical.

You don't ride in that suit do you?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users