Photo

[Bicycles] Bike lanes and cycling infrastructure in Victoria and the south Island

• Please log in to reply
11042 replies to this topic

#5841 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,733 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 07:02 AM

...We're getting older, yes, we're lazy...we're not buying bikes to transport our purchases.

In paper bags.

• A Girl is No one likes this

#5842 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 23 January 2018 - 01:47 PM

Things must be going well for U-Bike. 150 more bikes coming to Victoria, and they've opened an office in Vancouver. Possibility of expanding to those municipalities not served by the Mobi bike share. http://www.cbc.ca/ne...nland-1.4499482

#5843 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 945 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 02:25 PM

I listened to a portion of the interview.  The question posed was to block off Cook to determine impact to car traffic.  She twisted the answer to indicate that the purpose was to determine effect/adoption of bicycle traffic.  That then led into safety of bicycles using these lanes in uncontrolled intersections and that led to a discussion about the city being liable if something happened to a bicyclist.  

Of course what I took away from the interview was impact and traffic congestion caused by the new bicycle lane was not to be measured or acknowledged.  My guess is that any additional car gridlock or loss of parking is a net gain for bicycle infrastructure as it will force people to walk and bike or stay away.  That is as much of the goal as is providing bike infrastructure.

It will force cars on to Quadra and Blanshard because Cook will be too backed up .
It’s already slow going most times .
You don’t have to worry about getting a speeding ticket most times it’s not possible.
If she worried about being sued how about if someone gets into pot and or edibles who’s under age has any issues period.
Criminal or medical it’s non regulated illegal products she has welcomed .
City of Victoria can name a hundred ways it could be sued .
Quit drawing at straws Mayor .
  • A Girl is No one likes this

#5844 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 04:19 PM

Here's an article about those roving bikes in Paris.

https://www.thelocal...-floating-bikes

#5845 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 10:25 AM

Things must be going well for U-Bike. 150 more bikes coming to Victoria, and they've opened an office in Vancouver. Possibility of expanding to those municipalities not served by the Mobi bike share. http://www.cbc.ca/ne...nland-1.4499482

They have 150 bikes and told us back in September that they would have 300 shortly. Sounds like they are finally doing that.

It is a scale business. The bikes are extremely cheap to buy (as low as $35 each according to Fortune) so you would want to have as many bikes in as many places as possible. 

Edited by spanky123, 29 January 2018 - 10:31 AM.

#5846 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 03:47 PM

Shouldn't we be regulating how many of these things are on our streets? I mean in what world can a company suddenly appear, flood public places with pay-to-use products, and operate completely unchecked by the local government?

• spanky123, sebberry, Bingo and 4 others like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5847 GaryOak

GaryOak
  • 711 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 04:22 PM

It will be interesting to see what transpires of the new bike lanes and U-Bikes come warmer weather and tourist season.
  • Matt R. likes this

#5848 LJ

LJ
  • 12,736 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 07:45 PM

And if this is supposedly a profitable business why hasn't any competing entity shown up?

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#5849 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,031 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 08:36 PM

What if you put a sandwich board on a bike. Can you just leave it anywhere on any sidewalk?

Matt.
  • mbjj likes this

#5850 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 10:48 PM

Shouldn't we be regulating how many of these things are on our streets? I mean in what world can a company suddenly appear, flood public places with pay-to-use products, and operate completely unchecked by the local government?

If it involves bikes or pot, anything goes.
  • A Girl is No one and On the Level like this

#5851 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 06:45 AM

While littering the neighbourhoods. 

#5852 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 08:15 AM

I mean, what's next?  Operating a taxi service under the radar using a phone app?  Renting out spare rooms and by-passing hotel regulations?  Selling pot from storefronts?

I tells ya, it's anarchy out there!

• Nparker and nerka like this

#5853 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 08:26 AM

Ok, I'm glad you brought that up.

Uber vehicles have insurance, the local driver is licensed and he/she pays gas taxes to operate the vehicle.

AirBnB's operate within homes that have insurance, the owners pay property taxes and they bring visitors to our community who spend money.

The bicycles operate on public land, they are unregulated in any way, there is no insurance, there is no taxation for using 100% public infrastructure, their one safety system (helmets) is no longer available on the vast majority of bicycles and the earnings generated flood out of our community.

Now all that said, the City of Victoria has regulated AirBnB and the province has thus far not permitted Uber to operate, so the two industries are not comparable to the sudden arrival of hundreds of bicycles our streets.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5854 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 08:31 AM

One that has the Mayor promoting them as vindication for her trip to China.

#5855 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 30 January 2018 - 12:35 PM

And if this is supposedly a profitable business why hasn't any competing entity shown up?

No competition in Victoria yet, but Toronto-based Dropbike is opening shop in Kelowna with 1,200 dockless bikes this spring.

#5856 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 02:40 PM

The bicycles operate on public land, they are unregulated in any way, there is no insurance, there is no taxation for using 100% public infrastructure, their one safety system (helmets) is no longer available on the vast majority of bicycles and the earnings generated flood out of our community.

PST. GST. Business License & taxes. Taxi companies, for example, pay more tax because they consume more resources in a multitude of ways.

#5857 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 02:52 PM

No PST presumably due to an exemption for both the bikes and the helmets.

#5858 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 04:08 PM

Good point!

#5859 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 04:28 PM

Gotta love the oxymoronic nature of environmentalist supporting the littering of the city with $58 disposable bicycles.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#5860 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,733 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 04:29 PM

No PST presumably due to an exemption for both the bikes and the helmets.

I walk almost everywhere, which is great for the environment. When can I expect to see the PST taken off of my shoe purchases?

• rjag and sdwright.vic like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users