Photo

[Bicycles] Bike lanes and cycling infrastructure in Victoria and the south Island

• Please log in to reply
11042 replies to this topic

#6081 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 11:18 AM

Mother of Christ.... :badpc:

It’s happening sometime the only question is whether you’ll still have a license by then.
  • rjag likes this

#6082 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 11:21 AM

Green Bike says they have 4,000 registered riders, 1,000 regular users.  480 bikes out there now.  Talks ongoing with Oak Bay, Colwood and Langford, Esquimalt.

50-60% of the original unmarked matte black helmets have been stolen.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 18 April 2018 - 11:24 AM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#6083 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 18 April 2018 - 11:26 AM

It’s happening sometime the only question is whether you’ll still have a license by then.

so basically about 40-50 years out then? Maybe you'll have learned what a stop sign means by that point.... :thumbsup: 

• sdwright.vic likes this

#6084 Mr.B

Mr.B
  • 139 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 18 April 2018 - 12:52 PM

Maybe you'll have learned what a stop sign means by that point.... :thumbsup:

classic bike related retort  :rolleyes:

Set yourself up at any stop sign, l guarantee you'll see alot more vehicles rolling stop signs that you'd expect.  This is not a 'bike' specific problem.  

• lanforod likes this

#6085 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 01:38 PM

I stop at stop signs the same regardless of whether I'm on a bike or in a car.  So, practically never.  California stop is the way to go.

• VicHockeyFan, rjag, lanforod and 1 other like this

#6086 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 01:44 PM

I stop at stop signs the same regardless of whether I'm on a bike or in a car.  So, practically never.  California stop is the way to go.

I slow down slow enough to make sure it's clear, then take one fraction of a second longer to check the rear view and all other directions to make sure a cop is not coming.  Then let's roll!

• nerka likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#6087 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 01:48 PM

The only traffic ticket I got in my life so far was a California Stop 30 years ago at the bottom of Yates turning right onto Wharf. Who actually comes to a complete stop there if there's no traffic coming?

There's a new bike counter on Borden near McKenzie across from the Monkey Tree pub. By the end of the day it counts a couple hundred before 9 am around 700 cyclists by the end of the day.

Edited by Rob Randall, 18 April 2018 - 01:49 PM.

#6088 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 01:58 PM

Set yourself up at any stop sign, l guarantee you'll see alot more vehicles rolling stop signs that you'd expect.  This is not a 'bike' specific problem.  

Classic no sense of humor bike rider! My sarcastic comment was in reply to Nagels sarcastic comment...its much easier and more fun to poke each other with sarcastic nails than the real thing as those would hurt and I don't like blood on my luxurious Corinthian leather of my Chrysler Cordoba

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#6089 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 02:06 PM

By the end of the day it counts a couple hundred before 9 am around 700 cyclists by the end of the day.

what?\

\

#6090 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 02:16 PM

Sorry, I meant by 9 am the count is around 200, by evening it's around 700.

Speaking of biking infrastructure I was injured by some the other day. I was running down Yates Street almost totally sober and I struck one of those purple V-shaped bike racks. The serif at the top of the V caught the top of my leg and the half-inch solid steel made a loud PUNG-G-G-G-G like a giant tuning fork. I staggered down the street in so much pain I thought people were going to give me coins because they thought I must be a brave survivor of some terrible nerve disease that couldn't afford crutches.

Edited by Rob Randall, 18 April 2018 - 02:17 PM.

• VicHockeyFan, rjag and lanforod like this

#6091 Mr.B

Mr.B
  • 139 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 18 April 2018 - 02:19 PM

Classic no sense of humor bike rider! My sarcastic comment was in reply to Nagels sarcastic comment...its much easier and more fun to poke each other with sarcastic nails than the real thing as those would hurt and I don't like blood on my luxurious Corinthian leather of my Chrysler Cordoba

Sarcasm is lost in this format... and generally on this forum (myself included)  :mellow:

#6092 Mr.B

Mr.B
  • 139 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 18 April 2018 - 02:26 PM

Interesting how cyclists rolling stops is in the general public's top five 'why l hate cyclist' retort arsenal... but, we all know that nobody stops at stop signs... 

#6093 laconic

laconic
  • 741 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 02:34 PM

In some jurisdictions it is legally ok...

https://en.wikipedia...wiki/Idaho_stop

#6094 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 03:20 PM

Sarcasm is lost in this format... and generally on this forum (myself included)  :mellow:

Stick around, you'll learn. 

#6095 nerka

nerka
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 04:03 PM

NOBODY in Victoria stops at stop signs unless forced to do so by oncoming traffic. Not drivers not cyclists. The only time I come to a complete stop is when I am driving and some idiot is tailgating ridiculously close. Passive-aggressive, I know.

• rjag and lanforod like this

#6096 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 05:15 PM

So my near 4 year old recently noticed that stop signs say and mean stop and he totally knows it means 100% stop. Each time I rolling stop (so every time) he gets mad at me. Daddy you didn’t stop! Usually I try and lie to him and say yeah I did!
  • Mike K. and lanforod like this

#6097 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 05:18 PM

Awesome! Teaching dishonesty to a 4 year old! 🤣*

Total sarcasm intended. Seems disclaimers are needed in this thread.
  • nagel likes this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#6098 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 18 April 2018 - 05:27 PM

I maintain that most stop signs could be safely converted to yield signs.  Isn't that what a stop sign is essentially telling the driver to do?  Yield to traffic that has the right of way, then proceed. 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#6099 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 18 April 2018 - 09:36 PM

Ahhh, nope. The legislation is pretty clear that the requirement to stop has nothing to do with other drivers.

http://www.bclaws.ca...8_05#section186

#6100 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 10:27 PM

Get it while it's hot!

https://sfbay.craigs...6567112266.html

00000_gpCxg1Q5q44_600x450.jpg

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users