Photo

[Bicycles] Bike lanes and cycling infrastructure in Victoria and the south Island

• Please log in to reply
11042 replies to this topic

#6821 laconic

laconic
  • 741 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 02:28 PM

And also this part from the article:

"Looking at statistics dating back to 2014, CPS said this is the first fatal pedestrian-cyclist collision in Calgary in that time frame."

Looking at BC Coroner's statistics

https://www2.gov.bc....-pedestrian.pdf

There are 50-60 MVI-pedestrian deaths every year. In the report (2010-2016) there is no mention of any pedestrian deaths due to vehicles.

I'm more afraid of cars than bikes.

• Coreyburger likes this

#6822 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 04:43 PM

In order to make room for the construction fencing surrounding the new Sawyer Building construction site on Fort Street they had to remove the freshly laid concrete bike parking pod adjacent to the new bike path.

#6823 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,395 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 10:06 AM

Spotted for the first time today: a motorized wheelchair in the eastbound Pandora bike lane. Yay or nay?  :confused:

#6824 jasmineshinga

jasmineshinga
  • 332 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 10:14 AM

I see those all the time on the E&N, some of those scooters can seriously move too, I've been cut off or nearly clipped more times than I care to count.

~ Jasmine ~

#6825 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 27 July 2018 - 10:24 AM

I recall that they were talking about it last year: http://www.timescolo...ilot-1.23066196

As for practicality, it seems mobility scooters at speed are closer to bikes and skateboards than pedestrians or cars.  How far off are they from e-bikes or e-mopeds?  Both of those travel in bike lanes.

#6826 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,236 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 27 July 2018 - 10:34 AM

I feel like they are too wide for bike lanes though.

#6827 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,395 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 10:49 AM

It appeared to be a pretty tight squeeze for the operator to stay within the boundaries of the lane.

#6828 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 27 July 2018 - 10:49 AM

How much clearance do they need?

The Pandora lanes are described as 3m which should be 1.5m per direction.  For reference, the the US ADA indicates that 48" (1.2m)  is the standard for mobility scooter doorway clearance in public places.  It seems like they'd fit.

#6829 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 11:19 AM

I see those all the time on the E&N, some of those scooters can seriously move too, I've been cut off or nearly clipped more times than I care to count.

But the E&N is a multi use path, not a bike lane.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#6830 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 11:25 AM

I recall that they were talking about it last year: http://www.timescolo...ilot-1.23066196

As for practicality, it seems mobility scooters at speed are closer to bikes and skateboards than pedestrians or cars.  How far off are they from e-bikes or e-mopeds?  Both of those travel in bike lanes.

Yay for fun legal ambiguities.

• Mobility scooters are legally pedestrians. That means they can go on the regional trails but not technically in the bike lanes
  • E-bikes (with the limiter still in force and with functional pedals) can go on the regional trails or the bike lanes, as they are legally bikes
  • E-bikes that have had the limiter removed or the pedals disabled are now scooters, so aren't allowed in the bike lanes or on the regional trails as they legally require a licence plate and a licence to operate

#6831 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 27 July 2018 - 12:11 PM

Mobility scooters are legally pedestrians. That means they can go on the regional trails but not technically in the bike lanes

There is precedent for an unprotected bike lane on a roadway being shared with pedestrians such as along Lochside Drive: https://www.google.c...!7i13312!8i6656

#6832 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 12:29 PM

There is precedent for an unprotected bike lane on a roadway being shared with pedestrians such as along Lochside Drive: https://www.google.c...!7i13312!8i6656

That's an advisory sign telling drivers to expect people walking and biking. The legal signage is the bike sign and symbol further up. Given the lack of sidewalk, the MVA rules on walking on the roadway apply:

"182 (2) If there is no sidewalk, a pedestrian walking along or on a highway must walk only on the extreme left side of the roadway or the shoulder of the highway, facing traffic approaching from the opposite direction."

http://www.bclaws.ca...tatreg/96318_05

#6833 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 27 July 2018 - 12:39 PM

Ah, so the existence of a bike lane and the lack of a sidewalk just happen to overlap, legally speaking.

• Coreyburger likes this

#6834 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 12:41 PM

Ah, so the existence of a bike lane and the lack of a sidewalk just happen to overlap, legally speaking.

Pretty much. On a road without them, you would walk on the main roadway

#6835 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,285 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 01 August 2018 - 01:25 PM

U-Bicycle is partnering with Devon Properties to provide affordable alternative transportation options for residents of the company's 5,300 suites. U-Bicycle will also be expanding to offer electric bicycles and e-scooters.

Devon-Properties'-relocation-to-downtown-Victoria-to-coincide-with-U-Bicycle-partnership.jpg

990 Fort Street has been sold to Devon Properties, the Capital's largest rental property management firm. Devon Properties will be vacating its Oak Bay offices of 26 years and transitioning its operation to downtown Victoria in early 2019.

Devon Properties' relocation to downtown Victoria to coincide with U-Bicycle partnership
https://victoria.cit...le-partnership/

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6836 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 07:19 PM

Given the three U-bikes I saw being used without that rear-tire locker by the colourful folk in downtown today, I feel like they'll appreciate the e-bikes and scooters.

• Mike K. and Daveyboy like this

#6837 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,234 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 08:47 AM

I hope Devon has done full due diligence on U Bike and its ownership. Glad to see Devon taking a more urban stance.

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#6838 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 02:39 PM

I hope Devon has done full due diligence on U Bike and its ownership. Glad to see Devon taking a more urban stance.

Sounds like Devon employees and clients will get the option of buying a discounted annual pass for u-bike. I don't see this as much risk to anyone. 

#6839 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 03:45 PM

Does anyone know where I might be able to access the daily cycling numbers on the Goose online? I used to be able to look it up on Google but can't seem to find it anymore. I'm only able to find "regional" data for particular months. I'm just curious how this last June and July have compared to previous years.

#6840 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,168 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 04:42 PM

I’ve been wondering that myself.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users