Photo

[Bicycles] Bike lanes and cycling infrastructure in Victoria and the south Island

• Please log in to reply
11042 replies to this topic

#7341 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 09:33 PM

So thus comment:

While the current design and construction of these bike and bus zones are based on the latest Canadian and US transportation standards applied in other cities in BC and across North America, we are open to exploring further improvements,” added Eisenhauer.

***This makes no sense what so ever.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#7342 blazer

blazer
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 December 2018 - 09:46 PM

There was a bit of coverage on this issue on CTV news. https://vancouverisl...laint-1.4215837

#7343 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 04:49 PM

Victoria hopes to have the next leg of its separated bike network — down Wharf Street — all but completed by summer.

The global budget approved for the Wharf/Humbodlt section is about $4.02 million, but the city is hopeful competitive bids will drive costs down.

measures are taken to reduce motor-vehicle traffic to between 1,000 and 1,500 vehicles a day, so cyclists of all ages and abilities feel safe to use the route.

"About $4.02 million"?  Why not say about $4M?  Is this an approved budget or just one of those guideline type of things?

Reducing traffic by 1,500......by making it impossible to take that route due to a huge traffic jam!  Social engineering at it's finest.  

https://www.timescol...nish-1.23575805

Edited by On the Level, 04 January 2019 - 04:50 PM.

#7344 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 05:16 PM

Going to be fantastic - Wharf St was the busiest street before Pandora got built (and might still be, haven't checked the most recent numbers). This lane is going to be fantastic.

• Mr Cook Street and SgtNeonPanda like this

#7345 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 05:25 PM

"About $4.02 million"? Why not say about $4M? Is this an approved budget or just one of those guideline type of things?

Reducing traffic by 1,500......by making it impossible to take that route due to a huge traffic jam! Social engineering at it's finest.

https://www.timescol...nish-1.23575805

So we are looking at at least $8m, I assume?

#7346 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,997 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 05:26 PM

i think the loss of street parking on wharf is not so bad. with the big surface lots nearby.

#7347 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 05:54 PM

If you think discouraging 3 out of every 4 people in Greater Victoria is fine as the core should be a gated community, then it's fantastic.  If you realize that it is making it difficult for some to visit the core, then it's not so fantastic.  

We'll see what has happened to business in that area in the next 5 years, and if this has driven other areas of the CRD to hold more leverage financially.

Edited by On the Level, 04 January 2019 - 05:54 PM.

• sdwright.vic likes this

#7348 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 05:55 PM

i think the loss of street parking on wharf is not so bad. with the big surface lots nearby.

I thought those big surface lots were going to be removed from parking stock....

#7349 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 06:11 PM

I still don’t understand this idea of “social engineering”. Weren’t the roads as we know them today engineered specifically to encourage a particular form of transportation (cars)? City planners from around the world now realize it was a mistake to build cities entirely around the car. Why is it so devious that infrastructure could be built to encourage one form of transportation over another? Especially when cars present so many problems (pollution, noise pollution, congestion, obesity, urban sprawl, etc). The streets have already been “socially engineered” to encourage automobiles and discourage other forms of transport, which we now understand was a mistake, so why can’t they be “socially engineered” to bring other forms of transport back?
  • Coreyburger, Mr Cook Street, thundergun and 2 others like this

#7350 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 06:36 PM

I would hardly call one of the most important advancements of the industrial/post industrial eras a mistake. Without cars our society would be wildly different than it is today, and so much so that it is literally impossible to imagine an alternate reality without dipping into hypotheticals that are based more on utopian ideals than a sincere concept of an alternate reality of a modern society without personal vehicles.

• RFS and Midnightly like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7351 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 06:56 PM

... The streets have already been “socially engineered” to encourage automobiles and discourage other forms of transport, which we now understand was a mistake...

I am not sure the term "we" should be used. It suggests an absolute position. It would be better to say something like "some now believe encouraging the supremacy of internal combustion vehicles has had some negative consequences".

And lastly, I'll begin to believe automobiles were a complete mistake when fire engines and ambulances are replaced with bicycles and horse-drawn carts.

#7352 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 07:08 PM

almost everyone that can afford a car owns one. and almost all that don’t own one desire one. so not sure why we’d design streets not to accept them.

streets were not designed to “encourage” cars but they were certainly designed to accommodate them for the vast majority of us that use or desire to use them.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 04 January 2019 - 07:12 PM.

#7353 LJ

LJ
  • 12,741 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 07:11 PM

almost everyone that can afford a car owns one. and almost all that don’t own one desire one. so not sure why we’d design streets not to accept them.

And 95% (VHF stat)  who can afford a bicycle don't have one.

• RoadRunner likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#7354 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 07:19 PM

I still don’t understand this idea of “social engineering”. Weren’t the roads as we know them today engineered specifically to encourage a particular form of transportation (cars)? City planners from around the world now realize it was a mistake to build cities entirely around the car. Why is it so devious that infrastructure could be built to encourage one form of transportation over another? Especially when cars present so many problems (pollution, noise pollution, congestion, obesity, urban sprawl, etc). The streets have already been “socially engineered” to encourage automobiles and discourage other forms of transport, which we now understand was a mistake, so why can’t they be “socially engineered” to bring other forms of transport back?

I don't log in often anymore, but I made an exception so I could compliment this wonderful post. Roads and highways are socially engineered. Our cities are socially engineered. Preferences change, needs change, desires change, cities change.

• Mike K., Coreyburger, thundergun and 2 others like this

#7355 GaryOak

GaryOak
  • 711 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 07:21 PM

I can afford a car but i choose not to have one. By doing this i have been able to afford vacations and new experiences that i would not have been able to afford otherwise.
  • Mr Cook Street likes this

#7356 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 07:40 PM

For 5% of the population that wants to ride their bike to work this time of year....it's great.  We all get that.

Reality will eventually expose why these bike lanes are designed poorly.

#7357 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 08:02 PM

I don't log in often anymore, but I made an exception so I could compliment this wonderful post. Roads and highways are socially engineered. Our cities are socially engineered. Preferences change, needs change, desires change, cities change.

but crd stats show mode share has not changed in 15 or more years.

#7358 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 08:14 PM

but crd stats show mode share has not changed in 15 or more years.

No worries......social engineering at your rescue!  We'll make it so impossible to make it to a meeting that you'll need to find a job elsewhere.  Kids in swimming lessons after work?  Not any more unless you move downtown.  350,000 people living downtown?  Nope....no construction to help that.

See..the CoV has all the answers!

#7359 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 08:44 PM

I can afford a car but i choose not to have one. By doing this i have been able to afford vacations and new experiences that i would not have been able to afford otherwise.

I concur and have made similar choices. That being said, I am still glad there are motor vehicles and the accompanying infrastructure available should I be in need of emergency services.

#7360 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 09:02 PM

Sorry for you, I own a car and still take vacations. Matter of fact I leave for Cabo on February 2 to not return until March 4!
  • rjag likes this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users