Photo

[Bicycles] Bike lanes and cycling infrastructure in Victoria and the south Island

• Please log in to reply
7507 replies to this topic

#7501 nagel

nagel
  • 5,687 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 12:03 PM

It might be a different story this afternoon.

I’m sure if I die you’ll have an opportunity to shame me on social media, probably on the VV Facebook page too.
  • Baro likes this

#7502 Nparker

Nparker
  • 21,487 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 12:09 PM

I’m sure if I die you’ll have an opportunity to shame me on social media, probably on the VV Facebook page too.

I am cruel, but not THAT cruel.

#7503 spanky123

spanky123
  • 10,492 posts

Posted 16 February 2019 - 10:33 AM

So much for on time and on budget. Looks like City staff want to hire 5 more people in order to complete the bike network by 2022 or else risk the project being delayed up to two years.

https://pub-victoria...ocumentId=32073

Edited by spanky123, 16 February 2019 - 10:34 AM.

#7504 rjag

rjag
  • 4,614 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 16 February 2019 - 10:40 AM

So much for on time and on budget. Looks like City staff want to hire 5 more people in order to complete the bike network by 2022 or else risk the project being delayed up to two years.

https://pub-victoria...ocumentId=32073

Gotta love how they still cling to the fallacy that 1 in 10 Victorians bike to work

Victoria has become one of the top cycling cities in Canada, with 1 in 10 Victorians now cycling to work - the second highest mode share in North America. The implementation of the All Ages and Abilities (AAA) bicycling network over the last few years has been a key enabler of this by delivering a safe, inviting and comfortable cycling environment.

I guess if you keep saying it you will believe it and dont need to test it.

• Nparker and Midnightly like this

#7505 FogPub

FogPub
  • 128 posts

Posted 16 February 2019 - 12:16 PM

Interesting how they want to reduce "engagement" going forward.  Guess they're tired of hearing how bad the whole idea is.

The report does mention one good idea, but they can't even get that right: off-street bike paths.  The report wants these to be shared with pedestrians etc., where such paths should be bike-only and made suitable for high-speed bike commuters as well as casual riders.

• rmpeers likes this

#7506 jonny

jonny
  • 8,738 posts

Posted 16 February 2019 - 09:48 PM

Definitely ain't 1 in 10.

Maybe 1 in 10 reported biking to work once or occasionally or that they would like to bike to work. 10% though of total commutes? No way. Not a chance.

#7507 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 45,767 posts

Posted Today, 10:11 AM

Risks: The Bicycle Master Plan has relied largely on federal gas tax program contributions, but is also funded through Development Cost Charges and grants. While Gas Tax funding has restrictions that require the use of external contractors, consultants and service providers, Development Cost Charges do not and can be used to fund these additional positions.

Note that staff favour using development cost charges (DCC's) to pay for the additional staffers. DCC's, of course, are the tacked on fees City Hall levies when developers are moving a project through the proposal phase. DCC's continue to creep up and their costs are directly passed on to the end-user, be it a residential occupant or a commercial tenant.

• rjag likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7508 rjag

rjag
  • 4,614 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted Today, 10:46 AM

Note that staff favour using development cost charges (DCC's) to pay for the additional staffers. DCC's, of course, are the tacked on fees City Hall levies when developers are moving a project through the proposal phase. DCC's continue to creep up and their costs are directly passed on to the end-user, be it a residential occupant or a commercial tenant.

Making housing in Victoria more affordable 1 additional tax at a time....got some real rocket scientists working over there... :whyme:

• Nparker, Daveyboy and A Girl is No one like this

9 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users

To advertise on VibrantVictoria, call us at 250-884-0589.