Photo

[Bicycles] Bike lanes and cycling infrastructure in Victoria and the south Island

• Please log in to reply
11042 replies to this topic

#7641 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 22 February 2019 - 04:13 PM

^ Might I recommend all or part of the Pacific Crest Trail?

#7642 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 23 February 2019 - 09:35 AM

Having lived with myself for 62 years, I know myself far too well (sometimes to my detriment) to purchase a stationary bicycle that, despite great plans to "get in shape" by exercising in front of the TV ... in reality it would sit in whatever room I choose to unpack it in completely unused.

In that case, make sure you forget to plug in the E-bike once in a while so you have to do some of the work yourself :D

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#7643 Danma

Danma
  • 889 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 01:53 PM

I'm purchasing an e-bike to increase my cardio vascular capacity, lose weight, tone muscle, and otherwise try to stay healthy at 62 years of age. Hopefully, as all of those things that need improving start to improve over time ... I'll become less and less dependent on the "E" portion of the bike, and get to the point where my body is proving 90% of the motive power.

I propose to do that by riding to and from work each day, thus reducing the dependance on my truck for that task by at least 75%.

There's research showing that people who ride e-bikes actually end up in a better place health-wise than people who have regular bikes, because they end up using it far more often and even if they're putting in maybe less effort, the amount they use it more than makes up for it.

• Cassidy likes this

#7644 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 01:54 PM

And they likely cause fewer injuries among older riders, too boot.
  • Cassidy likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7645 Danma

Danma
  • 889 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 02:00 PM

And they likely cause fewer injuries among older riders, too boot.

It's likely, I agree. Compared to other physical activities cycling is relatively low-impact, but still there's potential for back, hip and knee issues due to overdoing it or poor form.

#7646 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 04:41 PM

In addition to the $11M+ being spent on bike lanes, City staff are suggesting that $19M will be spent over the next 5 years on other infrastructure upgrades to support better cycling, walking and mobility in the city.

https://pub-victoria...ocumentId=32527

Edited by spanky123, 27 February 2019 - 04:41 PM.

#7647 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 04:50 PM

...City staff are suggesting that $19M will be spent over the next 5 years on other infrastructure upgrades to support better cycling, walking and mobility in the city...

Is anything being allocated to repair the increasingly decrepit roads in the CoV?

Edited by Nparker, 27 February 2019 - 04:50 PM.

• mbjj likes this

#7648 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 27 February 2019 - 05:03 PM

Is anything being allocated to repair the increasingly decrepit roads in the CoV?

$19 million for Complete Streets (over four years) includes repairing and resurfacing streets. They'll be looking at what improvements can be made while they're dong work on the street anyways.

The separate "roads" budget in Public Works is just over $1 mil, which is for your usual pothole filling, crack sealing, patching and paving. 

#7649 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 05:20 PM

That's over $36 million.

The City of Victoria is looking to budget tens of millions of dollars towards improvements to the public realm for cyclists, pedestrians and individuals experiencing mobility challenges.

$19.2 million will be earmarked for a "complete streets" approach to street improvements, described by the City as:

"Using a proactive pavement asset management strategy, streets are rehabilitated or resurfaced with the objective of maintaining the City's street system for future generations in the most timely and cost-effective way. Each road rehabilitation project is reviewed using a complete streets lens to help ensure that when we are repairing and replacing our infrastructure we maximize the benefits for pedestrians, cyclists and the mobility impaired whether that is new cycling infrastructure, sidewalks, street lighting, accessible traffic signals or new pedestrian crossings."

$11.2 million, including the potential to additional monies, will be allocated to the City's bicycle master plan which includes the protected bike lanes.

An additional $740,000 will go towards crosswalk installations, $182,000 towards traffic signal upgrades and $156,000 towards new transit shelters.

A further $1.93 million will a pedestrian master plan, while just under $3 million is earmarked for a pedestrian safety program and pathway upgrades.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7650 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 05:38 PM

Hundreds of kilometers of existing roads in the CoV and bike lanes get the largest share of the budget. The per capita benefit is small for the dollars spent. It's pretty clear who lobbies the loudest at City Hall.

• A Girl is No one and rmpeers like this

#7651 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 06:08 PM

Hundreds of kilometers of existing roads in the CoV and bike lanes get the largest share of the budget. The per capita benefit is small for the dollars spent. It's pretty clear who lobbies the loudest at City Hall.

Our local govt doesn't even pretend to represent anyone other than a handful of donors and lobbyists. As long as those folks turn a blind eye to the sexual harassment and such, they will get what they want. Hypocrisy on a grand scale.
  • Nparker and mbjj like this

#7652 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 10:41 AM

That's over $36 million.

I referenced the document as it was notable, but the good news is that most of the monies are inflated. This document is in support of the Smart Cities initiative and the attempt to get the Government to kick in $10M for SIPP to build a mobility app. The City wants to make it look like they are spending a huge amount of money in support of the effort.

#7653 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 11:14 AM

It's a measly 4% of the budget for the next 4 years.  I'm pretty sure even Saanich spends more on this stuff and nobody bats an eye.  Shelbourne alone will cost Saanich 12 million.

#7654 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 11:16 AM

Saanich is 6x the size of Victoria, so they sort of have to spend more.
  • sdwright.vic likes this

Know it all.

#7655 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 11:19 AM

If you want to talk about what Saanich spends, then live in Saanich.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#7656 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 11:21 AM

I think nagel does live in Saanich.
  • Matt R. and nagel like this

Know it all.

#7657 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 11:24 AM

Then nagel needs to spend less time worrying about Victoria.
  • Nparker and Cassidy like this

#7658 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 12:06 PM

It's a measly 4% of the budget for the next 4 years.  I'm pretty sure even Saanich spends more on this stuff and nobody bats an eye.  Shelbourne alone will cost Saanich 12 million.

So you wouldn't mind paying 4% more in taxes each year?

#7659 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 12:18 PM

Then nagel needs to spend less time worrying about Victoria.

I promise I worry less about Victoria than Saanich, but I do work in Victoria so there is some acceptable amount of worry.  I don't think we really want to silo comments based on municipal residence.

• jonny, thundergun and Brantastic like this

#7660 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 01:30 PM

Actually we do when certain people aren't paying the property taxes.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users