Photo

[Bicycles] Bike lanes and cycling infrastructure in Victoria and the south Island

• Please log in to reply
11042 replies to this topic

#7661 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,594 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 07:55 PM

Actually we do when certain people aren't paying the property taxes.

Ok.....enough: you were getting worked up over taxes at 1:30 in the afternoon while in Cabo. I can think of lots of things to do in the afternoon in Cabo but being plonked on a laptop is not one of them.

Go immediately to the swim-up bar, refill your drink, stick a funny umbrella in it, and go work on your tan. Or go deep sea fishing. Or swimming. Or rent a dune buggy. Do anything other than arguing about bike lanes or taxes. Sadly both will be here when you get back. Oh, and try to have a nice time.... :thumbsup:.

PS - tell BY we decided to move his office. His desk is now in the basement along the back wall behind the bike rack....

#7662 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 08:21 PM

Is anything being allocated to repair the increasingly decrepit roads in the CoV?

Well I guess if they are left long enough, people will get out of their cars.......by accident.

Actually we do when certain people aren't paying the property taxes.

The CoV enjoys huge tax revenues from businesses that only can exist because they are supported by those from outside municipalities.  It's ironic that CoV are paying for bike lanes and "traffic calming" that discourages this tax revenue.  

#7663 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 08:54 PM

PS - tell BY we decided to move his office. His desk is now in the basement along the back wall behind the bike rack....

Well first of all I was laying in the sun by the pool with my big 40 oz sippy cup on my phone.

As for BY... he us PARTIALLY afraid you are serious.
  • AllseeingEye and lanforod like this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#7664 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 01 March 2019 - 10:52 AM

Ok.....enough: you were getting worked up over taxes at 1:30 in the afternoon while in Cabo. I can think of lots of things to do in the afternoon in Cabo but being plonked on a laptop is not one of them.

Go immediately to the swim-up bar, refill your drink, stick a funny umbrella in it, and go work on your tan. Or go deep sea fishing. Or swimming. Or rent a dune buggy. Do anything other than arguing about bike lanes or taxes. Sadly both will be here when you get back. Oh, and try to have a nice time.... :thumbsup:.

Wait, I was undermining his vacation?  This is bonus.

#7665 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 01 March 2019 - 04:35 PM

^Dude, I have been on vacation since February 2.

You were hardly undermining anything.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#7666 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 01 March 2019 - 10:51 PM

That's over $36 million.

The City of Victoria is looking to budget tens of millions of dollars towards improvements to the public realm for cyclists, pedestrians and individuals experiencing mobility challenges.

$19.2 million will be earmarked for a "complete streets" approach to street improvements, described by the City as:

"Using a proactive pavement asset management strategy, streets are rehabilitated or resurfaced with the objective of maintaining the City's street system for future generations in the most timely and cost-effective way. Each road rehabilitation project is reviewed using a complete streets lens to help ensure that when we are repairing and replacing our infrastructure we maximize the benefits for pedestrians, cyclists and the mobility impaired whether that is new cycling infrastructure, sidewalks, street lighting, accessible traffic signals or new pedestrian crossings."

$11.2 million, including the potential to additional monies, will be allocated to the City's bicycle master plan which includes the protected bike lanes.

An additional $740,000 will go towards crosswalk installations, $182,000 towards traffic signal upgrades and $156,000 towards new transit shelters.

A further $1.93 million will a pedestrian master plan, while just under $3 million is earmarked for a pedestrian safety program and pathway upgrades.

$740K for new crosswalks?  I'd rather see the crosswalks we already have get upgraded with pedestrian-activated flashing orange lights like the ones on Bay St just east of Blanshard.

$11.2M for bike lanes etc. is crazy talk.

$156K for transit shelters probably isn't enough.  Every bus stop should have a shelter - and by shelter I mean something mostly enclosed that keeps the rain off even when it's falling sideways...and that gives some shade in the summer.

And does the 'pedestrian safety program' involve teaching all of them to - before crossing any street - look both ways and wait until there's no cars coming?

• Mike K. and Nparker like this

#7667 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 09:53 AM

Is everyone aware that with the Vancouver Street bike lane, north-south vehicle traffic could be cut off at multiple points, including between Johnson and Pandora and between Fort and Meares?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7668 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,711 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 10:00 AM

WTF?  :eek:

#7669 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 10:07 AM

What is this based on? I haven't heard anything like that. I knew traffic calming measures would take place somewhere south of Fort (so the Meares/Fort one is not entirely surprising) as that is a requirement to reduce traffic volumes for AAA cycling routes if protected bike lanes are not constructed. It is my understanding that protected bike lanes would be built between Pandora and Fort, so cutting off vehicle traffic between Pandora and Johnson makes no sense as it would not be a shared road space.

#7670 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,924 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 10:28 AM

Is everyone aware that with the Vancouver Street bike lane, north-south vehicle traffic could be cut off at multiple points, including between Johnson and Pandora and between Fort and Meares?

can you elaborate?

#7671 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 07 March 2019 - 10:30 AM

What is this based on? I haven't heard anything like that. I knew traffic calming measures would take place somewhere south of Fort (so the Meares/Fort one is not entirely surprising) as that is a requirement to reduce traffic volumes for AAA cycling routes if protected bike lanes are not constructed. It is my understanding that protected bike lanes would be built between Pandora and Fort, so cutting off vehicle traffic between Pandora and Johnson makes no sense as it would not be a shared road space.

The consultation materials solicited feedback on the idea of vehicle traffic barriers to divert through traffic to Cook and Quadra. The suggestions included: northbound at Balmoral, Pandora (by way of an extension of Pandora Green), southbound at Meares, Burdette, Fairfield, and Southgate.

If I were to place bets, I'd say that extending Pandora Green is likely, and then one of either Burdette or Fairfield.

The presentation boards from November are posted online; https://www.victoria...rds-Nov2018.pdf

Edited by Jackerbie, 07 March 2019 - 10:31 AM.

#7672 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,711 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 10:57 AM

And since no more consultation will be allowed, the public will be stuck with whatever mish-mash is implemented.

#7673 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 11:00 AM

Here's the report: https://www.victoria...rds-Nov2018.pdf

And here's a map I created to identify the locations.

vancouver-street-bike-lane-traffic-diversions.jpg

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7674 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 11:02 AM

There's also a public plaza proposed for Vancouver north of Caledonia at the ball park. And there's some sort of a cycling improvement coming to Bay at Vancouver to connect Vancouver's bike lane to Graham Street.

Know it all.

#7675 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,711 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 11:02 AM

Bottom line: vehicular traffic will be discouraged from using Vancouver Street, causing even more congestion on Quadra and Cook.

#7676 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,711 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 11:03 AM

There's also a public plaza proposed for Vancouver north of Caledonia at the ball park...

Another space where no one will want to congregate. 

#7677 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,924 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 11:12 AM

Bottom line: vehicular traffic will be discouraged from using Vancouver Street, causing even more congestion on Quadra and Cook.

i think they can handle that little bit more traffic.

#7678 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 11:14 AM

The quiet side streets are going to get much busier, though. Which I'm sure residents won't appreciate.

• rmpeers likes this

Know it all.

#7679 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,711 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 11:17 AM

i think they can handle that little bit more traffic.

The question though is why should they?

#7680 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,924 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 11:58 AM

The quiet side streets are going to get much busier, though. Which I'm sure residents won't appreciate.

oh I don’t know the side streets between vancouver and cook just seem to be full of parked cars anyway they are not really quiet streets.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users