Photo

[Bicycles] Bike lanes and cycling infrastructure in Victoria and the south Island

• Please log in to reply
11042 replies to this topic

#7681 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 12:07 PM

I can't imagine the resulting traffic increases to side streets would be that significant. I would imagine residents would gradually just habituate themselves to use Cook and Quadra to begin with rather than going up Vancouver only to turn onto wherever the diversions are to get to Cook and Quadra. 

And honestly, the more I think about it, the more I kind of like the idea of connecting Harris Green Park there. That greenspace has so much potential, and will be much more well used in a few years with an additional 1000+ residents living along that strip of Pandora. 

#7682 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 12:12 PM

...the more I think about it, the more I kind of like the idea of connecting Harris Green Park there. That green space has so much potential...

Potential for more denizens of Our Place to hang out.

#7683 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 09:35 PM

The question though is why should they?

it's a way to stick it to drivers after the huge backlash of trying to put the bike lanes on cook street?

• sdwright.vic and rmpeers like this

#7684 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 08:15 AM

it's a way to stick it to drivers after the huge backlash of trying to put the bike lanes on cook street?

What I fear are more of these types of maneuvers with Helps leaving office in 3.5 years and scrambling to get everything in place in such a way that is can't be reversed.

#7685 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 08:35 AM

What I fear are more of these types of maneuvers with Helps leaving office in 3.5 years and scrambling to get everything in place in such a way that is can't be reversed.

I am no Lisa Helps fan, but even if she stopped being mayor tomorrow the cycling lobby would still have considerable influence over other members of this council.

#7686 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 09:06 AM

oh I don’t know the side streets between vancouver and cook just seem to be full of parked cars anyway they are not really quiet streets.

We live nearby and use those side streets constantly. They are our main route to and from town, used by us daily. Pretty soon we won't bother going to town at all as there will be no way in and no way out. Stupid ass idea. Tons of people ride their bikes on Vancouver Street just as it is now and after walking to work on it for over 25 years I have never seen any incident with a vehicle and a bike.

• Love the rock likes this

#7687 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 09:24 AM

...Tons of people ride their bikes on Vancouver Street just as it is now and after walking to work on it for over 25 years I have never seen any incident with a vehicle and a bike.

If the plan for bike lanes on Vancouver Street doesn't involve the removal of the sad-ass, asphalt bike lanes that no one uses now (and giving over this space to the "new and improved" bike lanes), then it will be a complete waste of my tax dollars.

#7688 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 07:10 AM

I am no Lisa Helps fan, but even if she stopped being mayor tomorrow the cycling lobby would still have considerable influence over other members of this council.

FYI we also influence your MyPerformance reviews.  

#7689 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,297 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 07:35 AM

If the plan for bike lanes on Vancouver Street doesn't involve the removal of the sad-ass, asphalt bike lanes that no one uses now (and giving over this space to the "new and improved" bike lanes), then it will be a complete waste of my tax dollars.

i don’t think those are going away. how far do they run? just pandora to ?

#7690 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 07:36 AM

FYI we also influence your MyPerformance reviews.  

That can't possibly be true. There's no way you like me that much.

#7691 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 07:41 AM

They extend from Johnson to Green Street at the ball park.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7692 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 07:42 AM

From Caledonia to Johnson.

Capture.JPG

Edited by Nparker, 10 March 2019 - 07:46 AM.

#7693 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 04:17 PM

Wait, those are bike lanes? I've walked by so many times and never even noticed they were there.

#7694 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,297 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 04:21 PM

if memory serves they were some type of a path from hillside mall (?) to downtown along a safe low traffic routing.

that route included signage along streets like scott or another street parallel to shelbourne then i’m not sure how it meandered to get to vancouver.

perhaps it crossed cook on haultain before that west side there was modified. then down to vancouver and you’d have to make another perilous cross now of bay.

or hold on. maybe it crossed bay up at chambers. that also rings a bell. then maybe it came down caledonia from up there?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 10 March 2019 - 04:25 PM.

#7695 pennymurphy2000

pennymurphy2000
  • 419 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 05:26 PM

Is everyone aware that with the Vancouver Street bike lane, north-south vehicle traffic could be cut off at multiple points, including between Johnson and Pandora and between Fort and Meares?

That should make the peak traffic times around the school extra fun!

#7696 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 05:26 PM

Wait, those are bike lanes? I've walked by so many times and never even noticed they were there.

Although long since faded and mostly worn away, at one time there were bicycle icons painted on the asphalt strips adjacent to the sidewalk.

#7697 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 11 March 2019 - 12:57 PM

So we are going to keep insanely huge grass medians on Vancouver Street, which could easily accommodate bike lanes, and instead remove vehicle traffic on the only reasonable route north out of James Bay? 

Wow. I support bike lanes but this is ridiculous.

• rjag likes this

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#7698 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 01:22 PM

Yup, sure looks like it.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7699 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 01:27 PM

So we are going to keep insanely huge grass medians on Vancouver Street, which could easily accommodate bike lanes, and instead remove vehicle traffic on the only reasonable route north out of James Bay?

Wow. I support bike lanes but this is ridiculous.

This is Council saying "oh you thought the implementation of bike lanes was bad before- hold our beer, we'll make em worse".
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#7700 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 01:45 PM

The cynic in me thinks that making things as bad as possible for cars on Vancouver Street is a big "eff-u" for having to abandon the original Cook Street plan.

Edited by Nparker, 11 March 2019 - 01:46 PM.

• rjag and pennymurphy2000 like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users