Photo

[Bicycles] Bike lanes and cycling infrastructure in Victoria and the south Island

• Please log in to reply
11042 replies to this topic

#7801 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 19 April 2019 - 07:03 AM

Traffic from school drop off is actually quite dangerous - both from direct collisions and from air pollution. Anything that reduces that traffic is good for the kids at the school. The reduction is also good for people who are biking on Vancouver.

#7802 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 19 April 2019 - 07:04 AM

...You won't be able to drive up Vancouver from Fairfield now either... 

Is one-way traffic being implemented on part of Vancouver street?

#7803 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 19 April 2019 - 07:24 AM

Is one-way traffic being implemented on part of Vancouver street?

No, the draft plan calls for two diverters: McClure and Meares:

VancouverNearCCSchool.png

#7804 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 19 April 2019 - 10:46 AM

Traffic from school drop off is actually quite dangerous - both from direct collisions and from air pollution. Anything that reduces that traffic is good for the kids at the school. The reduction is also good for people who are biking on Vancouver.

Why is it that no air quality comparisons are ever available to back up any of these claims?

• rjag, sdwright.vic, pennymurphy2000 and 1 other like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#7805 pennymurphy2000

pennymurphy2000
  • 419 posts

Posted 19 April 2019 - 12:04 PM

Dangerous? What exactly are you basing that on? The number of people that bike on that portion of Vancouver is minimal from my observations and I lived on Vancouver Street for years. Air pollution? Pretty sure the non stop sacred fire at tent city caused more air pollution and no one gave a damn about that. The only entrance to the school is off of Vancouver Street. How are we supposed to get our children into the school if all access is blocked. Mears is one way. Rockland is closed off to traffic. You can't turn left on Burdett from Quadra. So everyone know will have to use Cook Street? 

• rjag, sdwright.vic, mbjj and 3 others like this

#7806 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 19 April 2019 - 02:27 PM

Why is it that no air quality comparisons are ever available to back up any of these claims?

Cause talking points. Talking points need no proof.
  • rmpeers and Victoria Watcher like this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#7807 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 19 April 2019 - 02:41 PM

I have to say, we are quite upset about this Vancouver Street nonsense as that is our main street to go anywhere around Victoria. Literally, that is the street we use a couple of times a day. I walk it to and from work and it is fine as it is. This is total BS what they are doing. Did they consult with BC Ambulance or the Fire Dept? We will probably take three times as long to go anywhere now, having to go up some of those sidestreets that run off of Vancouver. We will be causing more air pollution, not less. Pedestrians manage just fine now and have for the past 25 years I've been walking there. Utterly ridiculous. I'm sure no one who thinks this is a good idea has actually lived in the neighbourhood for 40 years, as we have.

• Nparker, Midnightly, pennymurphy2000 and 1 other like this

#7808 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 19 April 2019 - 02:43 PM

As I have walked that way for many a year, I can honestly say I have never witnessed any sort of problem with children being dropped off there. As for air pollution, what a load of rubbish. This will cause more emissions because a five minute drive will now take twice that long.

• Nparker and pennymurphy2000 like this

#7809 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 19 April 2019 - 02:53 PM

I have to say, we are quite upset about this Vancouver Street nonsense as that is our main street to go anywhere around Victoria. Literally, that is the street we use a couple of times a day. I walk it to and from work and it is fine as it is. This is total BS what they are doing. Did they consult with BC Ambulance or the Fire Dept? We will probably take three times as long to go anywhere now, having to go up some of those sidestreets that run off of Vancouver. We will be causing more air pollution, not less. Pedestrians manage just fine now and have for the past 25 years I've been walking there. Utterly ridiculous. I'm sure no one who thinks this is a good idea has actually lived in the neighbourhood for 40 years, as we have.

No one ever seems to consider emergency vehicles when closing off roads or putting things like flower boxes down the middle of the road stopping them from going to the other side. 

• Nparker likes this

#7810 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 19 April 2019 - 03:54 PM

Because it’s not a ‘thing’ it’s the type of propaganda nonsense that’s thrown around that can’t really be challenged. It’s like how the Trudeau message for climate change became climate disruption and so on until it’s just ‘pollution’ because it’s bs

Same thing happening here, anti-car guy doesn’t like being a party of 1..... but what does it matter if we only have 11 years left? 🤷‍♂️😉🤔
  • Nparker and Victoria Watcher like this

#7811 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 19 April 2019 - 04:52 PM

Dangerous? What exactly are you basing that on? The number of people that bike on that portion of Vancouver is minimal from my observations and I lived on Vancouver Street for years. Air pollution? Pretty sure the non stop sacred fire at tent city caused more air pollution and no one gave a damn about that. The only entrance to the school is off of Vancouver Street. How are we supposed to get our children into the school if all access is blocked. Mears is one way. Rockland is closed off to traffic. You can't turn left on Burdett from Quadra. So everyone know will have to use Cook Street?

Yes everyone on Cook which will become totally clogged forcing people to ride their bikes instead. I believe that’s the plan. Isn’t it? 😏
  • Nparker, sdwright.vic and Victoria Watcher like this

#7812 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 19 April 2019 - 05:53 PM

Maybe your last line is the answer. I often sense that our current council has zero concern for people over a certain age.

#7813 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 19 April 2019 - 06:17 PM

How are we supposed to get our children into the school if all access is blocked... So everyone know will have to use Cook Street?

You might be overlooking a much simpler solution. Try thinking like a politician would think: close the school.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#7814 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 19 April 2019 - 06:33 PM

Yes everyone on Cook which will become totally clogged ...

To be fair, Quadra will also have to absorb a great deal more traffic as will numerous roads that cross Vancouver Street, so there's lots of losers in this plan (not just the losers in the CoV's "active" transportation cabal).

#7815 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 19 April 2019 - 07:36 PM

But one can’t turn left from Quadra on most of the streets, as has been noted earlier, leaving Fort and then Fairfield. Humboldt will also get a bike lane, so many people will realistically only be able to get home via Cook unless they make a big detour.

#7816 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 19 April 2019 - 08:31 PM

...Cook ...will become totally clogged ...

... many people will realistically only be able to get home via Cook...

It's rather hard to believe it's just a coincidence that when the cycling lobbyists' dream of having bike lanes on Cook Street was quashed that the alternate plan involves a huge increase in vehicular traffic on that road.

• sdwright.vic likes this

#7817 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 19 April 2019 - 10:38 PM

No, the draft plan calls for two diverters: McClure and Meares:

VancouverNearCCSchool.png

Must be nice to be able to ride a bike for pleasure and work, eh Corey?  Cyclists get all this fancy new infrastructure to themselves while all the road infrastructure crumbles for us drivers?

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#7818 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,849 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 12:04 AM

No one ever seems to consider emergency vehicles when closing off roads or putting things like flower boxes down the middle of the road stopping them from going to the other side. 

i think the emergency vehicles line is far overused.  if it take an ambulance 2 extra minutes so be it.  if ambulance response times were so crucial we could triple the number of ambulance stations.  it's not that important.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 20 April 2019 - 12:04 AM.

#7819 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,849 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 04:29 AM

i also might be generally in favour of closing parts of vancouver street.  there is no need for redundant through streets in lots of parts of town.  like scott street (use shelbourne).  or haultain (use bay).  i could even block parts of richmond (use shelbourne or foul bay).

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 20 April 2019 - 04:31 AM.

#7820 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 06:45 AM

Let's just divert all traffic into Blanshard and McKenzie.
  • mbjj and Victoria Watcher like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users