Photo

[Bicycles] Bike lanes and cycling infrastructure in Victoria and the south Island

• Please log in to reply
11042 replies to this topic

#7841 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 07:05 PM

And where exactly do you want to go? Those three streets are parallel to each other and one can easily take Cook or Quadra, then turn off one block if you need to get to Vancouver. And like VW said, there is nowhere on Vancouver that will be entirely blocked off to cars.

Trying to avoid left turns onto busy streets.

#7842 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 06:48 AM

i mean who in their right mind is currently using vancouver from beacon hill park to hillside now? 

I do. It's the best north-south thoroughfare. You've only got two four-way stops along the entire stretch from the park to Fort Street while Cook has three lights along that stretch and you quite often have to stop for pedestrians crossing near and within the village.

• Nparker and GaryRanson like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7843 nerka

nerka
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 08:24 AM

i mean who in their right mind is currently using vancouver from beacon hill park to hillside now? 

Aren't there diverters at Caledonia and Pembroke to prevent this?  Though if you aren't worried about rules I am sure you can drive around these.  People fly down the section from Fort to Fairfield for sure

#7844 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 10:02 AM

Definitely at Caledonia. Can't remember at Pembroke...

#7845 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 23 April 2019 - 10:09 AM

Northbound diverters at Caledonia, southbound diverters at Pembroke

#7846 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 23 April 2019 - 11:39 AM

Aren't there diverters at Caledonia and Pembroke to prevent this?  Though if you aren't worried about rules I am sure you can drive around these.  People fly down the section from Fort to Fairfield for sure

"fly"???? seriously? thats a narrow stretch when theres cars parked plus its a 30 school zone

• pennymurphy2000 likes this

#7847 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 11:59 AM

Big SUVs have huge wheels and low profile tires that potholes will eat for lunch.

For those buying that style of SUV, but stick with a 17 inch rim and you'll have enough sidewall (within limits).

I'm tempted to paint mine flat black and add an "Eat Meat" bumper sticker for good measure.

#7848 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 23 April 2019 - 12:53 PM

For those buying that style of SUV, but stick with a 17 inch rim and you'll have enough sidewall (within limits).

I'm tempted to paint mine flat black and add an "Eat Meat" bumper sticker for good measure.

What a clever idea.  I wonder why they don't sell them like that?

With 17" wheels I mean, not the bumper sticker.

I wonder why plant-based meat-alternative companies don't make "Beat Meat" bumper stickers?  Probably too busy... doing something.

#7849 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 03:29 PM

What a clever idea. I wonder why they don't sell them like that?

With 17" wheels I mean, not the bumper sticker.

I wonder why plant-based meat-alternative companies don't make "Beat Meat" bumper stickers? Probably too busy... doing something.

I'm not sure if you are serious about the 17 inch rims or being sarcastic. Anyways, I wouldn't choose a trim level with 20 inch rims for that very reason. They provide a rough ride and don't last.

Anyways, back on topic. Husqvarna makes meatless burgers now?

#7850 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 23 April 2019 - 06:48 PM

I'm not sure if you are serious about the 17 inch rims or being sarcastic. Anyways, I wouldn't choose a trim level with 20 inch rims for that very reason. They provide a rough ride and don't last.

Anyways, back on topic. Husqvarna makes meatless burgers now?

I think that's robotic lawn mowers you're thinking of.

I am bemoaning the fact that upper trim levels get stuck with mega-wheels.  Gimme bells, gimme whistles, gimme fat tires.

But not on bikes, I don't like fat-tire bikes.  Although just like with the SUV, they do better on rough streets...

#7851 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 07:40 PM

"fly"???? seriously? thats a narrow stretch when theres cars parked plus its a 30 school zone

as far as i know i don't think anywhere on vancouver street (around crystal pool/RAP area) is considered a school zone, even though it's 1 block down from the school, i know the school pac is fighting to get it included within the school zone and extending the school zone..

Edited by Midnightly, 23 April 2019 - 07:50 PM.

#7852 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 07:49 PM

as far as i know i don't think anywhere on vancouver street (around crystal pool/RAP area) is considered a school zone, even though it's 1 block down from the school, i know the school pac is fighting to get it included within the school zone..

https://www.google.c...!7i13312!8i6656

#7853 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 08:00 PM

that one is down by rockland over by the christ church, not further up by Caledonia/Pembroke (where they have diverters right by royal athletic park) it's a fairly narrow section of road

#7854 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 08:12 PM

that one is down by rockland over by the christ church, not further up by Caledonia/Pembroke (where they have diverters right by royal athletic park) it's a fairly narrow section of road

The area in question was from Nerkas comment about people flying from Fort to Fairfield

#7855 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 08:16 PM

The area in question was from Nerkas comment about people flying from Fort to Fairfield

the first line in nerka comment i read was "Aren't there diverters at Caledonia and Pembroke to prevent this?"

#7856 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 08:23 PM

the first line in nerka comment i read was "Aren't there diverters at Caledonia and Pembroke to prevent this?"

#7857 nerka

nerka
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 11:58 PM

I drive and bike this section.  People are mostly doing 60 not 30. There is a reason people like Mike are saying it is faster than Cook.

• tedward and m3m like this

#7858 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 03:18 AM

Oh gosh, nerka. I don’t think I’ve ever crossed 40 on Vancouver. 60km/h is very, very fast, literally Blanshard speed north of Bay. There’s no way 60 is par for the course on that stretch of road, and certainly not when I’m behind the wheel.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7859 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 05:50 AM

I spend 7.5 hours a day looking down at Vancouver, it is impossible for people to go 60K on Vancouver without some sort of car that goes 0 to 60 in 10 ft. Too many traffic signals and stop signs to prevent that speed.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#7860 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 05:52 AM

Even at 4AM this morning the all-knowing Google maps machine indicated it takes 4 minutes to traverse Vancouver from Park to Pandora, at an average of 26km/h. Cook, at that time of day, was a 3 minute estimated trip.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (2)