Photo

[Bicycles] Bike lanes and cycling infrastructure in Victoria and the south Island

• Please log in to reply
11042 replies to this topic

#8081 nerka

nerka
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 05:07 PM

Eh...if at the end of the day, someone wants to steal you're bike, they'll find a way no matter what type of lock. And chances are no one will try to stop them. Case in point this great Casey Neistat video.

Correct. There is no theft proof lock that you can carry. All you can do is make it more or less convenient for thieves.  If you have a bike of modest value you can make it inconvenient enough to steal that no-one ever bothers since there are a plethora of softer targets.

#8082 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,798 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 05:25 PM

right. just like home security.
  • nerka likes this

#8083 pennymurphy2000

pennymurphy2000
  • 419 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 09:12 AM

https://thetyee.ca/C...XPqPT4_PlzTXnpU

A very interesting read. 

#8084 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 10:04 AM

https://thetyee.ca/C...XPqPT4_PlzTXnpU

A very interesting read.

The Dutch model "requires giving cyclists total dominance on the road." Ha, no wonder local advocates are so taken with the Dutch approach. But as the author convincingly argues, it doesn't sound like a good fit here, and clearly people are cherry picking the most feel-good aspects of the Dutch experience.
  • sdwright.vic and pennymurphy2000 like this

#8085 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,653 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 10:09 AM

A very interesting read...

I learned that I never want to visit Amsterdam.

• pennymurphy2000 likes this

#8086 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,998 posts

Posted 08 May 2019 - 07:57 AM

The Dutch model "requires giving cyclists total dominance on the road." Ha, no wonder local advocates are so taken with the Dutch approach. But as the author convincingly argues, it doesn't sound like a good fit here, and clearly people are cherry picking the most feel-good aspects of the Dutch experience.

Although I have never lived in Amsterdam, the experience the author outlined is similar to what I have seen when I traveled there. My first time walking downtown I was unaware that the bikes and pedestrians shared "the road" in many areas and I was rewarded with an elbow in the back and a curse when I inadvertently walked on the wrong side of a line even though the rider had plenty of room to go around me if he had so chosen.

Edited by spanky123, 08 May 2019 - 07:58 AM.

#8087 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,433 posts

Posted 08 May 2019 - 09:53 AM

U-Bicycle is offering frequent users a coupon code for unlimited summer time use of the service for $10. The coupon code is RIDE4SUMMER.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#8088 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,798 posts

Posted 08 May 2019 - 10:12 AM

that sounds like a bad deal for the company.

#8089 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 08 May 2019 - 10:42 AM

Sounds like an even worse deal for the potential rider ... in that I used to see those U-bikes all over town, I now rarely see one at all.

Good luck even finding one for your $10.00 summer pass.

Presumably (and based on their own numbers) a massive percentage of the bikes have been stolen, and it seems haven't been replaced in equal numbers.

Edited by Cassidy, 08 May 2019 - 10:43 AM.

• Nparker likes this

#8090 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 08 May 2019 - 10:55 AM

I too have noticed a lot less of them lying around the city.

#8091 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,653 posts

Posted 08 May 2019 - 11:04 AM

Check in trees and the inner harbour.

• Cassidy likes this

#8092 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 08 May 2019 - 12:20 PM

Check in trees and the inner harbour.

... in the Inner Harbour!

#8093 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,653 posts

Posted 08 May 2019 - 12:49 PM

That's what I meant.  ;)

#8094 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 08 May 2019 - 02:06 PM

I like to see people on bikes, and I'm a fan of bike paths. We've seen it in this discussion before. Some motorists hate bikes, and some cyclists hate cars. So here's my experience just this afternoon.

I'm driving south on Cook Street, approaching Hillside. Sometimes a car is turning left onto Hillside, and so you have to go into the right lane to proceed straight. Also sometimes you are just approaching Hillside and the light turns red. I will often go into the right lane, so I can turn right onto Hillside. I can be down to Quadra by the time the light turns green on Cook to continue south.

So I notice that in the right lane is a cyclist who is riding smack in the middle of the lane. Okay. The light turns at Hillside and she is at the front of the right lane. She stops in the middle of the lane. I want to make a right turn. I have a small car and there was still just enough room to get around her. She starts to yell at me, "I'm a car!" In other words, she feels she has the right to take up the entire lane, even at the intersection. What is wrong with a modicum of cooperation? At the intersection, she could pull over a bit to the right to allow others to turn. It's that attitude which I find so annoying. Hope about "I'm a person!" "I can do things out of common courtesy!"

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#8095 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 08 May 2019 - 02:26 PM

I learned that I never want to visit Amsterdam.

My brother does quite a lot of cycling in Vancouver and he and his group of friends have done lots of trips in Europe. They had a trip through Holland and when he told me about Amsterdam he said something like "it isn't for the faint-of-heart cyclist. If you stop to check your map you get run over".

#8096 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 08 May 2019 - 02:52 PM

So I notice that in the right lane is a cyclist who is riding smack in the middle of the lane. Okay. The light turns at Hillside and she is at the front of the right lane. She stops in the middle of the lane. I want to make a right turn.

So you wanted to make an illegal right turn. Got it.

• tedward likes this

#8097 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,998 posts

Posted 08 May 2019 - 03:16 PM

In my opinion, U-bike is being kept minimally alive solely due to the smart cities challenge. If Victoria wins, the City will receive $10M and I am told that a good chunk of that has been committed to U-bike to build out their service to include electric bikes, scooters, and even ride-sharing. I think if any in the program actually took a look at the sorry state of what we have in Victoria then they would run away with their money but that isn't usually how it works when politicians are throwing bucks around.

• Nparker likes this

#8098 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,653 posts

Posted 08 May 2019 - 03:27 PM

Oh goody. $10 million taxpayer dollars that can go to program with an outstanding record of bike theft.

#8099 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,798 posts

Posted 08 May 2019 - 03:28 PM

In my opinion, U-bike is being kept minimally alive solely due to the smart cities challenge. If Victoria wins, the City will receive $10M and I am told that a good chunk of that has been committed to U-bike to build out their service to include electric bikes, scooters, and even ride-sharing. 

199 entries:

https://www.infrastr...pplications.php

#8100 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 08 May 2019 - 03:28 PM

I like to see people on bikes, and I'm a fan of bike paths. We've seen it in this discussion before. Some motorists hate bikes, and some cyclists hate cars. So here's my experience just this afternoon.

I'm driving south on Cook Street, approaching Hillside. Sometimes a car is turning left onto Hillside, and so you have to go into the right lane to proceed straight. Also sometimes you are just approaching Hillside and the light turns red. I will often go into the right lane, so I can turn right onto Hillside. I can be down to Quadra by the time the light turns green on Cook to continue south.

So I notice that in the right lane is a cyclist who is riding smack in the middle of the lane. Okay. The light turns at Hillside and she is at the front of the right lane. She stops in the middle of the lane. I want to make a right turn. I have a small car and there was still just enough room to get around her. She starts to yell at me, "I'm a car!" In other words, she feels she has the right to take up the entire lane, even at the intersection. What is wrong with a modicum of cooperation? At the intersection, she could pull over a bit to the right to allow others to turn. It's that attitude which I find so annoying. Hope about "I'm a person!" "I can do things out of common courtesy!"

So you wanted to make an illegal right turn. Got it.

She does have the right to take up the entire lane. Would you expect somebody on a motorcycle to yield their right of way to you too?

• Coreyburger, tedward and thundergun like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users