Photo

[Bicycles] Bike lanes and cycling infrastructure in Victoria and the south Island

• Please log in to reply
11042 replies to this topic

#8141 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,454 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 12:42 PM

Licensing is cool. Just imagine how much better this board would be if people needed a license to get on the internet, or a license to view certain websites.

You accepted the terms and conditions of this website when you created an account that was subsequently licensed to you. You also accepted licensing terms for the software that you use to get on the Internet and this website, and the software that powers it, and the device that powers that software.

You are also bound by terms and conditions governing your use of whichever Internet service provider's infrastructure you've chosen to use.

• sebberry likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#8142 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 12:46 PM

Dude, what about flying a kite, or looking at other people?

Can't ride my horse this weekend. My horse license expired. 

#8143 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 12:49 PM

I was about to pull my kid in his wagon to the park, but then remembered my wagon pulling license was past due. Guess I have to head down to the Radio Flyer registration office tomorrow. Heaven knows I could injure somebody should I not have the requisite paperwork.

#8144 aastra

aastra
  • 20,738 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 12:56 PM

I was about to pull my kid in his wagon to the park...

I sure hope you have a license for that kid. And for the colourful shirt that you're wearing. It hurts my eyes.

Are we doomed to go through this stuff endlessly for the rest of time? When you complain to the authorities about your neighbour, the authorities will nod and give you a hug and promise to take care of it. When your neighbour complains to the authorities about you, the authorities will nod and give him a hug and promise to take care of it. That's how it works, that's how it has always worked. In the year 2019 are we still so fundamentally misinformed about human nature?

License cycling, then license walking, then license going outside, etc. There's an endless list of grievances that need to be addressed. There's always another grievance that you didn't know existed, and there's always another solution that you didn't know you needed.

#8145 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 23 May 2019 - 01:04 PM

Ok, obviously there is line to be drawn otherwise you'll license everything or nothing.

Back to bicycles for a moment, you can argue that since they are enshrined road users they are logically closer to cars than pedestrians.  So there is an argument to be made for licensing them, whereas that argument doesn't exist for all this other silly stuff being tossed out.

Hey, maybe licensing would help alleviate bike theft.  Make sure that serial number is registered to your license number...  No license/helmet, no registered serial number?  No bike.  Wait, I've suggested that before in a previous Thread-Go-Round...

#8146 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,454 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 01:31 PM

The comedians are on a roll today.

licensed.jpg

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#8147 aastra

aastra
  • 20,738 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 01:35 PM

You accepted the terms and conditions of this website when you created an account that was subsequently licensed to you. You also accepted licensing terms for the software that you use to get on the Internet and this website, and the software that powers it, and the device that powers that software.

You are also bound by terms and regulations governing your use of whichever Internet service provider you've chosen to use.

That's hardly sufficient. People should be licensed by the state (all levels, highest and lowest, from the UN right down to the neighbourhood associations) to get on the internet, to view certain websites, and to operate certain websites. Otherwise, any jackarse could create a website about development and trouble my beautiful mind with things I don't agree with. For all I know it's already happened.

Edited by aastra, 23 May 2019 - 01:48 PM.

• jonny and Victoria Watcher like this

#8148 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 01:39 PM

I think it would be more important to license the cyclist rather than the actual bicycle, so your helmet has your license adhered to it.

Done and done.

Don’t have a helmet? You get a ticket for not only not wearing it, but not displaying the license.

How would this have helped in this case, wouldn't the rider just ride away?  Or is this stuck on licence, up on the helmet, some huge number you can see from any distance and angle?

Likely safer for the pedestrian to look both ways before crossing a roadway.  When any sort of on-coming vehicle, device or even object is close he/she would wait till it passes.  If it stops then by all means cross.  Right or wrong this might be the best way to approach crosswalks rather than believe they are safe to walk into them without looking.  The odd car or cyclist may blow through, I find most seem pretty good about stopping.

Crossing Basics from an ICBC document on teaching kids to negotiate crosswalks.

"Stop at the curb.  Look left and right for oncoming vehicles, then look left over your shoulder for vehicles that might be turning.  When the intersection is clear, start crossing and keep looking for approaching vehicles."

Was it a slow news day or something?

• aastra and FogPub like this

#8149 aastra

aastra
  • 20,738 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 01:42 PM

Back to bicycles for a moment, you can argue that since they are enshrined road users they are logically closer to cars than pedestrians.  So there is an argument to be made for licensing them, whereas that argument doesn't exist for all this other silly stuff being tossed out.

I think the point here is that we're taking yet another mundane activity, claiming there's suddenly a crisis, and arguing for (over)regulation as if it would somehow change things for the better. The underlying premises should be all too familiar:

Identity Politics/Us versus Them:

- I drive so therefore I'm a driver, whereas my neighbour cycles so therefore he's a cyclist

Resentment:

- something that I do is overregulated, therefore something that my neighbour does should also be overregulated

Fear:

- safety, safety, safety

Helplessness/You can't fight the system:

- the authorities have intruded on so many things already, so we might as well invite them to intrude on this

• jonny and Ismo07 like this

#8150 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 01:43 PM

The comedians are on a roll today.

attachicon.giflicensed.jpg

Who do you pay and who monitors this licence?  Do you have to follow rules?  Are you wearing a helmet?

#8151 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,454 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 01:48 PM

The licensor of the software administers the licensing and sales of the licensing. In order to obtain a license, I had to agree to the licensor’s terms and conditions governing the use of software licensed to me, or rather Citified, which itself has to be licensed by the local government.

Know it all.

#8152 aastra

aastra
  • 20,738 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 01:50 PM

So not the UN, in other words?

#8153 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,454 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 01:50 PM

And none of that would have been possible without my license to work in this country which is administered via something called Social Insurance.

Know it all.

#8154 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 01:54 PM

Interestingly enough, I recall that a cyclist was ticketed by Saanich police a while back for going 40 km/hr in a 30 km/hr zone.  I doubt the cyclist had a speedometer affixed to his bike so that he could have realized he was speeding.

But if a cyclist is stopped by a police offer for an infraction, could they simply maintain that they have no identification on them...?  

#8155 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,454 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 01:57 PM

If they don’t produce identification they will be apprehended until such a time as police have confirmed their identity.

Know it all.

#8156 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,454 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 02:00 PM

The first step in licensing bicycles will apply to e-bikes, motor-assisted bicycles and electric scooters/mopeds. As their prevalence increases legislation dictating their use and licensing of their use will be introduced.

I can see it by 2030 the way things are going.

Know it all.

#8157 aastra

aastra
  • 20,738 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 02:18 PM

The licensor of the software administers the licensing and sales of the licensing. In order to obtain a license, I had to agree to the licensor’s terms and conditions governing the use of software licensed to me, or rather Citified, which itself has to be licensed by the local government.

You forgot to mention your license to print money.*

*all in good fun

• Mike K. likes this

#8158 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 23 May 2019 - 02:24 PM

I think the point here is that we're taking yet another mundane activity, claiming there's suddenly a crisis, and arguing for (over)regulation as if it would somehow change things for the better.

I agree that there is little need to regulate mundane activities.  I don't agree that cycling in a shared environment with motor vehicles is mundane.  No one is claiming there is suddenly a crisis - the issues that provoke the call for cyclist licensing are long-standing and also not a crisis.

I don't personally think that licensing cyclists is worthwhile, but I see that at least the argument can be made.  Throwing in all the truly mundane activities (and that includes software licensing) is a disingenuous distraction.

Still no sarcastic font for my quip about how licensing cyclists would stop violations as it has for motorists.  That is, it hasn't.  "That's the joke."

#8159 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 03:06 PM

But ensuring a cyclist understands the rules of the road and is identified in the event of an incident is too much to ask for?

They never ask for vaccination records when I renew my dogs license.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#8160 kxl

kxl
  • 206 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 06:47 PM

I’m a visitor from another province. Guess I’m not allowed to ride a bike in Victoria then?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users