Photo

[Bicycles] Bike lanes and cycling infrastructure in Victoria and the south Island

• Please log in to reply
11042 replies to this topic

#8221 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 29 May 2019 - 03:18 PM

Is that Saanich one for Gordon Head Rd?

Sure hope it's not for Shelbourne.....

• rjag likes this

#8222 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 29 May 2019 - 03:41 PM

Is that Saanich one for Gordon Head Rd?

Sure hope it's not for Shelbourne.....

Shelbourne cock-up starts this fall 

#8223 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 29 May 2019 - 04:02 PM

It's Shelbourne, phase 1 of the Shelbourne Valley Action Plan. If I remember correctly, Saanich has a much wider road allowance than what is built in most places, so they've got wiggle room to add new bike lanes if the sidewalks are moved further away from the road.

#8224 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 29 May 2019 - 07:15 PM

It's Shelbourne, phase 1 of the Shelbourne Valley Action Plan. If I remember correctly, Saanich has a much wider road allowance than what is built in most places, so they've got wiggle room to add new bike lanes if the sidewalks are moved further away from the road.

I don't recall much plan to widen the road though. Mostly to drop a lane.

• Mike K. likes this

#8225 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 30 May 2019 - 03:26 PM

I don't recall much plan to widen the road though. Mostly to drop a lane.

The concept is here for those curious: https://www.saanich....SVP_PHASE 1.pdf

#8226 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 03:30 PM

So no changes to Shelbourne south of McKenzie?  :confused:

#8227 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 03:38 PM

its going to be single lane each way except near the intersection...

#8228 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 30 May 2019 - 03:47 PM

its going to be single lane each way except near the intersection...

It's a long street so it will be completed in phases. The complete concept is here, but this is not the final design: https://www.saanich....ign concept.pdf

Phase 1 is Torquay to McKenzie. Design stage should be wrapping up right about now, with construction expected later this year or early 2020.

Phase 2 is North Dairy to Pear Street, and Phase 3 is Pear to McKenzie.

Edited by Jackerbie, 30 May 2019 - 03:51 PM.

#8229 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 03:48 PM

No matter how it's phased it's a total f-up to vehicular movement in Gordon Head.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#8230 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 07:58 AM

There's not enough money to keep people safe on Canada Day, but the CoV has no problem funding a communications consultant to promote "awareness" for a year.

...Traffic changes coming to accommodate the new bike lanes being built on Wharf and Humboldt streets have the city looking to hire a communications consultant to plan a year-long road-user awareness campaign...The consultant is also expected to hold an opening celebration to mark the completion of the project...

https://www.timescol...anes-1.23841787

Presumbly, no police presence will be required to ensure crowd safety at the opening celebration.

Prospective bidders can find out more about this position here (no details or cost to taxpayers are available to non-registered vendors.)

#8231 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 02:42 PM

What a ridiculous bunch of hooey it all is. I hope there's a huge crowd for Canada Day spilling all the way up Government Street, lol.

• Nparker likes this

#8232 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 05:59 PM

Wife and I drove downtown and parked near Capital Iron so we didn't have to pay for parking...walked through Chinatown and along Govt St to the new Customs House development. I haven't been down that way in 3-4 months. We walked back along Wharf.

Now note the bike lanes on Humboldt and the lost parking that was always highly used by the Empress.

Gotta say Wharf is a recipe for increased collisions now. It is so narrow and with no dedicated left turn onto Fort its gotta be a sh!tshow and explains why traffic has been backing up to the bridge.

Whoever thought putting bike lanes on that stretch of road needs to have their head examined. Looking at the mess it becomes even more clear that Government would have been a better choice. 

Edited by rjag, 02 June 2019 - 06:00 PM.

• Nparker likes this

#8233 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 06:13 PM

Wife and I drove downtown and parked near Capital Iron so we didn't have to pay for parking...walked through Chinatown and along Govt St to the new Customs House development. I haven't been down that way in 3-4 months. We walked back along Wharf.

Now note the bike lanes on Humboldt and the lost parking that was always highly used by the Empress.

Gotta say Wharf is a recipe for increased collisions now. It is so narrow and with no dedicated left turn onto Fort its gotta be a sh!tshow and explains why traffic has been backing up to the bridge.

Whoever thought putting bike lanes on that stretch of road needs to have their head examined. Looking at the mess it becomes even more clear that Government would have been a better choice. 

Wharf Street probably has the highest bike ridership for any Greater Victoria street that doesn't currently have bike lanes, but the existing scenario where bikes are forced to weave in and out of parking stalls and traffic seemed more like an accident waiting to happen than the new design. If any street downtown ever deserved bike lanes more than any other, it's Wharf. 

• Coreyburger and thundergun like this

#8234 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 06:20 PM

Wharf Street probably has the highest bike ridership for any Greater Victoria street that doesn't currently have bike lanes, but the existing scenario where bikes are forced to weave in and out of parking stalls and traffic seemed more like an accident waiting to happen than the new design. If any street downtown ever deserved bike lanes more than any other, it's Wharf. 

Its swapping one problem for another thats not an improvement

#8235 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 07:48 AM

You're both right. Wharf Street is already a zoo. With the addition of the bike lanes, and narrowing of the roadway, conflict is bound to happen. I just hope it's nothing worse than a few fender benders. The good side of this however, is that it will get the bicycles off the actual road. Not only is it dicey for them, but having bikes next to the cars traffic on Wharf currently is a tricky situation.

• thundergun likes this
Don't be so sure.:cool:

#8236 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 03 June 2019 - 08:34 AM

Residents seek protected bike lane to connect Victoria and Oak Bay

https://www.vicnews....ia-and-oak-bay/

At 12 per cent, Oak Bay has the highest percentage of any cycling commuters riding to work in Greater Victoria.

On the one hand, it's surprising that given the uptake there isn't already the infrastructure.  On the other hand, I guess dedicated cycle commuters are willing to tough it out as far to the right as practicable whereas it's not a good option for families.

Despite that, there is no protected route from Oak Bay to Victoria for cyclists, something that’s long overdue, said Greater Victoria Cycling Coalition’s Corey Burger.

Man, this guy is in every local cycling article...  :D

#8237 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 11:28 AM

Wait more people are cycling to Victoria from Oak Bay than Sidney? Next you'll tell me Uvic also has more people arriving via bike from Oak Bay than Sidney.

#8238 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 03 June 2019 - 12:32 PM

Wait more people are cycling to Victoria from Oak Bay than Sidney? Next you'll tell me Uvic also has more people arriving via bike from Oak Bay than Sidney.

Where did Sidney come into this?  Because they have the Lochside Trail but have fewer cycling commuters?

#8239 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 12:35 PM

Man, this guy is in every local cycling article... :D

Almost like it's part of my role at the GVCC or something :)

#8240 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 12:50 PM

Where did Sidney come into this?  Because they have the Lochside Trail but have fewer cycling commuters?

I'm saying obviously either Oak Bay, Esquimalt or Saanich would be #1 cycling into Victoria because they touch it. I bet I can tell you the top 3. Even with the Lochside trail it's further and harder to convince people to ride from Sidney than it is to convince them to ride from Oak Bay.

• Nparker likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users