Photo

[Bicycles] Bike lanes and cycling infrastructure in Victoria and the south Island

• Please log in to reply
11042 replies to this topic

#8341 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 07:17 AM

These scooters are more like skateboards and not like motorbikes. Too many things are referred to as scooters nowadays.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#8342 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 23 June 2019 - 08:56 AM

These scooters are more like skateboards and not like motorbikes. Too many things are referred to as scooters nowadays.

This design is a "kick scooter", even though the electric ones don't need a kick.  Or maybe they do, into the bin.  ;)

#8343 jjmac

jjmac
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 11:38 AM

There was a segment on the local news last week where they had a lady on who sells the electric scooters in Victoria. They explained the law and how they were not allowed on roads, bike paths etc and she said yep but nobody is enforcing that law and she has a big demand for them

#8344 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 23 June 2019 - 03:02 PM

... nobody is enforcing that law ...

Bingo.  Kind of like tossing a lit cigarette from your car - one ticket per year.  :P

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#8345 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 25 June 2019 - 02:12 PM

Also back to the topic at hand, another item that was revealed yesterday as part of the Move, Commute, Connect Strategy yesterday is a provincial Active Transportation Design Guide: https://www2.gov.bc....on-design-guide

Would love a free paper copy there’s no way I can print that brick myself.

Not free, but it will be published in two formats. Pricing not available but you can sign up for a notification alert.

Coil bound: https://www.crownpub...ls/7680003592_S

Perfect bound: https://www.crownpub...ls/7680003593_S

#8346 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 02 July 2019 - 10:36 PM

Graffiti on Lochside sends pointed message to cyclists

https://www.vicnews....ge-to-cyclists/

Someone doesn’t like cyclists.

That narrows it down.  There's only a handful of people it couldn't  be...

“Bikers f*** off!!” one of the messages, written in all capital letters, reads.

People who ride bicycles are cyclists.  People who ride motorcycles are bikers.  Maybe they should go find a place where bikers hang out - a clubhouse of sorts - and tell them to "f*** off!!" directly.  Wait, let me start recording video...

“No bikes,” the other states.

I think this is something you'd have to take up with the CRD.  Isn't the Lochside Trail one of their linear parks?  Or paint the asphalt, either way's probably going to be equally effective.

#8347 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 03 July 2019 - 03:47 PM

^The road parts of Lochside e.g. through Cordova Bay aren't part of any park, I don't think.

#8348 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 03 July 2019 - 07:08 PM

^ In that case petition the provincial government to change the MVA with respect to bicycles on roads.  Or paint the asphalt, either way's probably going to be equally effective.

#8349 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 03 July 2019 - 08:15 PM

I drove that stretch of road the other day. Holy moly, it was pandemonium. I think the CRD is in a bit of a bind here with a municipal road doubling as a very busy cycling route. Close calls between vehicles, pedestrians and cyclists must be quite common along there.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#8350 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 09 July 2019 - 11:36 AM

I was in a vehicle yesterday that nearly struck a cyclist on Burnside Road at Watkiss Way in View Royal where the Galloping Goose crosses.

Holy moly, what a savage intersection.

What happened was the vehicle came to a stop at a red light with the intent to turn right onto Watkiss. The driver looked left and right, saw no vehicles, peds or cyclists, and before taking the turn had his gaze to the left (where traffic would be coming from) while a cyclist suddenly came flying up from the 4 o'clock position relative to the vehicle and started crossing the road. The cyclist had the right of way, but the driver not only couldn't see the trail from which the cyclist came firing out of, but the cyclist had a green light (a special bike green light) and felt compelled to cross even though the situation (to the cyclist) would have/should have looked unsafe.

Corey, what in the world is going on here, and how could this be design be ok'd? There's a serious accident just waiting to happen here.

Here's the aerial. The Goose comes upon the intersection from the southeast, while bushes obscure the view of oncoming cyclists. The only way to get a clear view of the trail itself requires drivers to pull onto the crosswalk but by that point a collision is nearly unavailable and the cyclist has a bike-only green light which creates the impression of an unobstructed crossing.

aerial.jpg

Here's the streetview. Insane.

streetview.jpg

Know it all.

#8351 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 09 July 2019 - 11:48 AM

Looks like a no right turn on red if the cyclist gets a green.

• DustMagnet likes this

#8352 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 09 July 2019 - 11:49 AM

...by that point a collision is nearly unavailable...

I'm not sure if that indicates things are very safe or if it indicates things are very unsafe (so unsafe that no more collisions are available).

#8353 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 09 July 2019 - 11:54 AM

Looks like a no right turn on red if the cyclist gets a green.

There's no sign prohibiting right-turns. Car after car took the turn ahead of ours.

Know it all.

#8354 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 09 July 2019 - 12:16 PM

There's the opposite issue where Braefoot meets Mt. Doug X. Bikes have a yield sign on a steep downhill but cars very suddenly appear without warning.

https://www.google.c...!7i13312!8i6656

• Brantastic likes this

#8355 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 09 July 2019 - 01:08 PM

Is it just me or have the U Bikes all but vanished? Only time I noticed one recently, it was being piloted by a dude who was towing another bike beside him, presumably a bike that he'd "found" somewhere.
  • A Girl is No one likes this

#8356 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 09 July 2019 - 01:35 PM

There's no sign prohibiting right-turns. Car after car took the turn ahead of ours.

I'm just suggesting a sign.. Obviously there wasn't one or the driver would have stopped :)

• DustMagnet likes this

#8357 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 12:09 AM

Is it just me or have the U Bikes all but vanished? Only time I noticed one recently, it was being piloted by a dude who was towing another bike beside him, presumably a bike that he'd "found" somewhere.

i spotted one today.. just as i was hitting the end of the Malahat sitting on the side of the highway right near the Bamberton Road turn off

#8358 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 July 2019 - 06:57 AM

Was driving by the back parking lot of the old Ingy (whatever it's called as a housing site now) and saw about 10-15 guys working on at least half a dozen (or more, it was hard to tell) bicycles in various states of disassembly, and two or three of the "bike mechanics" doing the well known crack-dance around their work area.

I think the kids might call this a "chop-shop".

No cops to be seen, although they obviously must know this is going on in this location.

Bicycle theft in Victoria is completely out of control, with no apparent plan in place to try and stop it. 

• Nparker and pennymurphy2000 like this

#8359 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 07:11 AM

That sort of endeavour is probably considered by the SJW crowd as desperate folks getting their lives back on track. You know, showing some initiative; being enterprising.

#8360 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 07:36 AM

I was in a vehicle yesterday that nearly struck a cyclist on Burnside Road at Watkiss Way in View Royal where the Galloping Goose crosses.

Holy moly, what a savage intersection.

What happened was the vehicle came to a stop at a red light with the intent to turn right onto Watkiss. The driver looked left and right, saw no vehicles, peds or cyclists, and before taking the turn had his gaze to the left (where traffic would be coming from) while a cyclist suddenly came flying up from the 4 o'clock position relative to the vehicle and started crossing the road. The cyclist had the right of way, but the driver not only couldn't see the trail from which the cyclist came firing out of, but the cyclist had a green light (a special bike green light) and felt compelled to cross even though the situation (to the cyclist) would have/should have looked unsafe.

Corey, what in the world is going on here, and how could this be design be ok'd? There's a serious accident just waiting to happen here.

That design isn't ok but actually hasn't changed all that much. When it was a pedestrian-only signal, it was the same phasing, View Royal just added a bike light. I raised the issue with View Royal (and have chatted with others that have too).

What should happen here is what happened downtown: a mixture of right-on-red restrictions with some sort of dedicated phasing for bikes (or at least leading interval)

There's the opposite issue where Braefoot meets Mt. Doug X. Bikes have a yield sign on a steep downhill but cars very suddenly appear without warning.

https://www.google.c...!7i13312!8i6656

This one is even more fun. The yield sign makes it super legally-sketchy. By law, people going straight have right of way, as do people without the stop sign. The yield sign seems to change it so that people turning off Mt Douglas Cross have right of way over people going straight on the trail. People turning off of Braefoot should yield to the trail because of their stop sign, but ya, a mess. And IANAL, that is just how I understand it.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users