Photo

[Bicycles] Bike lanes and cycling infrastructure in Victoria and the south Island

• Please log in to reply
11042 replies to this topic

#8381 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 11 July 2019 - 02:04 PM

But you really have to try it out to understand how an ebike is different. It's much more like a scooter or little motorcycle than a pedal bike.

I think when you say "ebike" people think of a traditional pedal bicycle that has a motor assist, but it doesn't go anywhere (typically) unless you pedal.

The units that look like gas scooters (e.g. Vespa-style) or actual motorcycles (e.g. Motorino XMR and the like) are more like "electric scooters".  You can attach pedals to them to satisfy regulations, but good luck actually moving them under your own power.

Kind of like when people say EV they usually mean BEV, not PHEV.

EDIT: Clarified Motorino model - they make bicycle-based units too.

Edited by DustMagnet, 11 July 2019 - 02:09 PM.

#8382 SamCB

SamCB
  • 665 posts
  • Locationvictoria

Posted 11 July 2019 - 02:45 PM

^yes, to clarify, I mean a normal bicycle with a motor assist. ebike is the term most used in online forums and globally, I think.

Some only provide assistance when you're pedalling. Typically there are a few different levels of pedal assist (PAS) you can choose from.

Most newer ebikes also have a throttle button, if you feel like it.

#8383 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 13 July 2019 - 07:29 AM

Driver could face fine in cyclist's death for allegedly opening door into bike lane

https://www.cbc.ca/n...-laid-1.5209489

The problem with protected bike lanes is that you potentially* miss out on that sweet $81 revenue.

* Driver could face fine.

• Kungsberg likes this

#8384 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 03:07 PM

VicPD is searching for a cyclist clipped by a vehicle in downtown Victoria: https://www.facebook...441655926421433 (link contains a video)

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#8385 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 15 July 2019 - 03:53 PM

VicPD is searching for a cyclist clipped by a vehicle in downtown Victoria: https://www.facebook...441655926421433 (link contains a video)

That's terrible!

Did you see how the cyclist entered the intersection before the light went green?

Ok, that's got nothing to do with the actions of the car, but I honestly expected to the incident to be perpendicular.

Ya know... if that bicycle had a license plate they would be as easy to find as the driver of the car.

Then give 'em a ticket for disobeying a traffic control device.

I think that covers it.

Oh wait, one more thing: The cyclist was stopped at the red light, but cyclists never stop for red lights or stop signs, so this is clearly fake.

Wait, one more, more thing: /s

Edited by DustMagnet, 15 July 2019 - 04:02 PM.

#8386 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 07:11 PM

Excellent point. Worse yet, is there not a risk that balls might find their way into the ocean?

^

https://www.youtube....h?v=ESwKuITi1_k

#8387 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 09:04 PM

The problem with protected bike lanes is that you potentially* miss out on that sweet $81 revenue.

* Driver could face fine.

That's terrible!

Did you see how the cyclist entered the intersection before the light went green?

Ok, that's got nothing to do with the actions of the car, but I honestly expected to the incident to be perpendicular.

Ya know... if that bicycle had a license plate they would be as easy to find as the driver of the car.

Then give 'em a ticket for disobeying a traffic control device.

I think that covers it.

Oh wait, one more thing: The cyclist was stopped at the red light, but cyclists never stop for red lights or stop signs, so this is clearly fake.

Wait, one more, more thing: /s

When I or one of my children are riding, we are careful.  You can blame others as much as you want, and can seek vengeance for mistakes but it isn't going to help you.  You need to not only take responsibility for your own actions, but accept the fact that others will make mistakes.  Defensive driving has been trained for may years......defensive biking not so much.

• sebberry and Hotel Mike like this

#8388 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 16 July 2019 - 08:37 AM

When I or one of my children are riding, we are careful.  You can blame others as much as you want, and can seek vengeance for mistakes but it isn't going to help you.  You need to not only take responsibility for your own actions, but accept the fact that others will make mistakes.  Defensive driving has been trained for may years......defensive biking not so much.

Defensive cycling (along with defensive driving) is an obvious strategy.

What would you say the best defensive strategy would have been for the incident in the dashcam video above?  (Other than "don't be on the road" of course - although that is the most defensive position to take.)

The cyclist was following a defensive strategy against being doored by staying well off the line of parked vehicles on the right.  The cyclist could have taken the lane entirely such that the driver could not reasonably think they could pass inside the lane but that seems like a difficult long-term strategy even if it does satisfy the practicability test.

• Kungsberg likes this

#8389 SamCB

SamCB
  • 665 posts
  • Locationvictoria

Posted 16 July 2019 - 09:49 AM

^Good point.

As an urban cyclist, you are necessarily put into life-threatening situations almost daily. I mean this literally-- a distracted or aggressive driver can result in your gruesome death. There are tons of tiny life-or-death decisions you need to make while riding in traffic.

It's one thing to sit at your desk and analyze a dashcam video; it's quite another to have a dump truck turn into your lane, and you have to decide whether to risk being doored, hit a parked car, or veer into another lane and take your chances.

And the memory of those near-misses doesn't go away either. My close calls are are the reason I take the lane, as visibly and as frequently as I feel the need to.

• lanforod likes this

#8390 Danma

Danma
  • 889 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 03:28 PM

The cyclist was following a defensive strategy against being doored by staying well off the line of parked vehicles on the right.  The cyclist could have taken the lane entirely such that the driver could not reasonably think they could pass inside the lane but that seems like a difficult long-term strategy even if it does satisfy the practicability test.

I've been in that situation before, and to be honest, as SamCB says, I would also just take the lane. See, not only is Blanchard pretty tight in the first place, the possibility of a dooring is always at hand if you stay right.

This section of Blanchard somewhat stands out as one of the few roads downtown that doesn't have bike lanes... and I suspect this is because the road isn't wide enough to accommodate them in its current configuration. I think this video sort of shows that to be the case.

• Mike K. likes this

#8391 Danma

Danma
  • 889 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 03:32 PM

^Good point.

As an urban cyclist, you are necessarily put into life-threatening situations almost daily. I mean this literally-- a distracted or aggressive driver can result in your gruesome death. There are tons of tiny life-or-death decisions you need to make while riding in traffic.

Yes. I mean, they're exactly the same decisions car drivers make every day, not a big deal. Except that if a driver rear ends me, instead of my bumper taking that damage, I do.

#8392 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 07:23 PM

I've been in that situation before, and to be honest, as SamCB says, I would also just take the lane. See, not only is Blanchard pretty tight in the first place, the possibility of a dooring is always at hand if you stay right.

This section of Blanchard somewhat stands out as one of the few roads downtown that doesn't have bike lanes... and I suspect this is because the road isn't wide enough to accommodate them in its current configuration. I think this video sort of shows that to be the case.

Then make it off limits for cyclists and let them use another route that has room for a cycle lane.

• sdwright.vic likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#8393 marks_28

marks_28
  • 480 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 07:53 PM

Then make it off limits for cyclists and let them use another route that has room for a cycle lane.

*Cyclist gets knocked over by car, in a situation that is pretty clearly the driver's fault*

Solution: Ban bikes from that stretch of road.

The bikes have every right to be on that road as the cars do. Cyclist in front of the car? Guess they're just going to have to wait.

• Coreyburger likes this

#8394 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 16 July 2019 - 09:29 PM

*Cyclist gets knocked over by car, in a situation that is pretty clearly the driver's fault*

Solution: Ban bikes from that stretch of road.

The bikes have every right to be on that road as the cars do. Cyclist in front of the car? Guess they're just going to have to wait.

Or pass them using the adjacent lane.

#8395 marks_28

marks_28
  • 480 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 09:35 PM

Yup, that also works just as well.

#8396 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 17 July 2019 - 06:28 AM

Although this doesn't excuse the lack of spacial awareness of the driver, had the cyclist not jumped the queue and run a red light, he would not have been struck by that vehicle's mirror.

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#8397 SamCB

SamCB
  • 665 posts
  • Locationvictoria

Posted 17 July 2019 - 07:44 AM

I almost got taken out by a vehicle this morning- on Blanshard heading south at Broughton. I was in the bike lane approaching the intersection, when a car decides they're gonna turn right on Broughton - no signal, their mirror/shoulder check obviously wasnt looking for bikes, she just turned directly into me- I would've been sideswiped if I didnt a) grab a handful of brakes and nearly fall over on the wet roads; and b) luckily there was some room to the right where I got out of her way.

At the red light I tapped on her window. "sorry, didnt see you!" as she smiled and shrugged. No worries lady... it's just my LIFE you're endangering with your carelessness.

#8398 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,689 posts

Posted 17 July 2019 - 07:48 AM

Although not life threatening, I had a cyclist ride up behind me on the sidewalk this morning, quickly swerve around me, then proceed through a red light intersection onto the sidewalk on the other side. On a positive note she was wearing a helmet so I guess it wasn't the Bike Mayor.

• rmpeers likes this

#8399 Danma

Danma
  • 889 posts

Posted 17 July 2019 - 11:28 AM

Yeah, no? It's just driving. A cyclist taking the lane is a minor inconvenience for a driver, and sharing the road, even in this case, is easily done if everyone is conscientious and aware of their surroundings.

Or pass them using the adjacent lane.

Well, exactly. There were some very simple options available here for the driver if they truly wanted to give the cyclist space.

Although this doesn't excuse the lack of spacial awareness of the driver, had the cyclist not jumped the queue and run a red light, he would not have been struck by that vehicle's mirror.

The cyclist being in front of the driver did not cause the accident. That cyclist could just as easily been in the same position legally and faced the exact same situation.

#8400 marks_28

marks_28
  • 480 posts

Posted 17 July 2019 - 12:15 PM

The cyclist being in front of the driver did not cause the accident. That cyclist could just as easily been in the same position legally and faced the exact same situation.

In fact, jumping the queue likely put the cyclist in a safer position. This way they get out in front and in full view of the driver, who should not have passed. Had they waited til the light turned green, much more likely the driver is unaware the bike is right next to them, and could be easier to clip.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users