Photo

[Bicycles] Bike lanes and cycling infrastructure in Victoria and the south Island

• Please log in to reply
11042 replies to this topic

#8841 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 13 December 2019 - 11:40 AM

Are we sure that we're not there yet? Because the number of vehicles traversing through downtown has begun to decrease, and quite sharply. It's a combination of individuals like myself choosing not to come into the downtown core for meetings or quick shopping stops, people living in the downtown core and walking to work, and people who can using their bikes or walking.

But the shift has begun and surely I'm not the only person who tries to avoid the downtown core to save time.

No I do not believe we have hit capacity, far from it.  This time of year is quite busy but quite a small sample, I would likely reassess in the summer.  No bike lane construction along Wharf, Bay St Bridge work is completed, Humboldt sorted.  Tweaks have been made so at the moment things are looking very smooth whenever I make my way down there.  It's hard to tell if there are fewer cars as traffic is a lot smoother.  Parkades are still filling daily and street parking transactions aren't dipping so Downtown still seems busy just the traffic issues from the summer have subsided.

• Coreyburger likes this

#8842 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 13 December 2019 - 11:46 AM

Is this unofficial name of the CoV's policy towards vehicular traffic in the city? It would seem so based on the current state of road maintenance.

That's just a saying from olden times not a policy.  Like for most things there is not a simple silver bullet answer to it.  Vehicle congestion can be very complicated and should be approached from many directions.  Sheesh so literal..

#8843 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 13 December 2019 - 11:58 AM

Believe it or not I am old enough to know that "Death by a thousand cuts" is an expression and not to be taken literally. Mea culpa for not using the sarcasm font in my earlier post. Nevertheless, one can hardly be blamed for thinking the state of many of the roads in Victoria must be a result of deliberate City policy and not simply indifference.

#8844 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 13 December 2019 - 12:13 PM

Believe it or not I am old enough to know that "Death by a thousand cuts" is an expression and not to be taken literally. Mea culpa for not using the sarcasm font in my earlier post. Nevertheless, one can hardly be blamed for thinking the state of many of the roads in Victoria must be a result of deliberate City policy and not simply indifference.

I believe this years budget includes a lot more for road maintenance.  At times it also comes down to the resources to get it done as there is so much to do.  I know when Fort was done earlier this year the flavor from the public was more parking spaces taken away for road work.  Tough one cause you cannot have it both ways. 

#8845 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 13 December 2019 - 06:44 PM

I believe this years budget includes a lot more for road maintenance.  At times it also comes down to the resources to get it done as there is so much to do.  I know when Fort was done earlier this year the flavor from the public was more parking spaces taken away for road work.  Tough one cause you cannot have it both ways. 

”(The City will) rehabilitate or resurface annually approximately 0.8 km (5-year average) of 160 km of existing local roads. The amount of road rehabilitated on an annual basis is currently below industry standard and does not sustain the life cycle expectations for local roadways.”

For 2020, the operating budget is proposing $1.26 million be spent on pothole filling, crack sealing, paving roads and other maintenance. That’s down from $1.38 million in 2018.

When roads are not maintained adequately and left to deteriorate to the extent that they need to be rehabilitated or restored, it costs taxpayers more.

There’s also about 160 km of local (non arterial) roads, an alarming 20 per cent are judged to be in poor or fair condition.

• rjag likes this

#8846 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 13 December 2019 - 06:57 PM

Oh my, that’s not a lot.

Bay Street is in really rough shape between the bridge and Douglas. That’s a click on its own.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#8847 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 13 December 2019 - 07:18 PM

Wait, so we're getting *less* road maintenance this year?

Will the City set up a free safe Gravol dispensary for motorists and vehicle passengers?
  • Nparker and mbjj like this

#8848 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 13 December 2019 - 07:51 PM

You guys in your Jeeps and SUVs, "oh, heavens, there's a two inch pothole".

#8849 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 13 December 2019 - 08:01 PM

I bet there's some potholes in Oaklands that could swallow up Jeeps and SUVs in their entirety.

#8850 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 13 December 2019 - 10:13 PM

Try driving down some city streets on 20" rims with 30 profile tires...you'll soon find out how good your dentist is

• sebberry likes this

#8851 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 14 December 2019 - 08:20 AM

You know what - the bike and pedestrian safety people are all up in arms about people trading in their compact sedans for compact and mid-sized SUVs 16 ton metal death machines.  

Lots of these new compact and mid sized SUVs have big blind spots, party due to styling, partly due to occupant safety regulations.  I wouldn't be surprised if our terrible quality roads are partly responsible for locals buying bigger, softer, more comfortable vehicles.  

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#8852 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 14 December 2019 - 09:25 AM

What will happen to the #1 bus route if Richardson is blocked off in two spots? I know it only goes morning and late afternoon, but it's currently a straight route right into Oak Bay. I see it going past our house all the time. Those two blockages are ridiculous.

#8853 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 14 December 2019 - 09:31 AM

Try driving down some city streets on 20" rims with 30 profile tires...you'll soon find out how good your dentist is

For me, 17"/55 is enough to keep kidney stones from forming around here!
  • rjag likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#8854 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 14 December 2019 - 11:26 AM

What will happen to the #1 bus route if Richardson is blocked off in two spots? I know it only goes morning and late afternoon, but it's currently a straight route right into Oak Bay. I see it going past our house all the time. Those two blockages are ridiculous.

Drove Richardson yesterday. No way would a bike lane make sense there. That should be clear to anyone at a glance.
  • rjag and mbjj like this

#8855 VIResident

VIResident
  • 973 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 15 December 2019 - 08:28 AM

Who asked for this route? 

Reminds me of the reverse billing scam.  Throw up the worst possible option (one that nobody asked for in the first place), people kick-back.  Offer up the 2nd worst possible option - people by in never realizing nobody asked for the first option.

• Nparker, rjag and http like this

#8856 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 15 December 2019 - 03:19 PM

We live on Richardson and weren't consulted, lol. Even the run in October sends out a notice about what's happening, but does the city? Nope.

• Nparker likes this

#8857 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 15 December 2019 - 04:33 PM

Fauxultation: the act of civic engagement and appeasement when politicians have already already made an immutable decision. See "Victoria, British Columbia" for numerous examples.

• mbjj and A Girl is No one like this

#8858 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 15 December 2019 - 05:54 PM

There were signs on Richardson for weeks about public consultation. There were four separate events you could have attended and there were online questionnaires you could’ve taken.

#8859 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 15 December 2019 - 09:01 PM

There were signs on Richardson for weeks about public consultation. There were four separate events you could have attended and there were online questionnaires you could’ve taken.

I walk that route a few times a month from Foul Bay to St Charles as well as drive it several x a week to avoid Fort St and havent seen a thing about consultation. 

Irregardless its just a continuation of pretend consultation for a group that made their mind up that the round peg will most definitely fit in the square hole

• Nparker, sebberry and mbjj like this

#8860 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 15 December 2019 - 09:13 PM

Which weeks were those?

And did the online questionnaires have "No, don't do this at all" as an answer option? (the online survey re Vancouver St certainly didn't)

• Nparker, rjag and mbjj like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users