Photo

[Bicycles] Bike lanes and cycling infrastructure in Victoria and the south Island

• Please log in to reply
11042 replies to this topic

#8861 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,395 posts

Posted 15 December 2019 - 09:28 PM

...And did the online questionnaires have "No, don't do this at all" as an answer option? (the online survey re Vancouver St certainly didn't)

All official CoV surveys I've ever encountered seem designed to elicit the response the city wants to hear. Just another facet of the fauxultation.

#8862 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 15 December 2019 - 09:48 PM

There were signs on Richardson for weeks about public consultation. There were four separate events you could have attended and there were online questionnaires you could’ve taken.

I don't recall seeing anything; but even if I had, I would have had no faith that they would pay any attention, since our mayor and council display barely-disguised contempt for their constituents. And the very fact that they'd even consider Richardson reinforces that they just aren't very good at designing bike networks. Such a wasted opportunity.
  • Nparker likes this

#8863 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,169 posts

Posted 16 December 2019 - 03:49 AM

As we saw with the results of the budget survey, some councillors don’t accept the results when they’re against their point of view.

Councillor Isitt called the city’s questionnaire unscientific and remarked that there were respondents from Langford.
  • rmpeers likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#8864 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 16 December 2019 - 03:55 PM

There were signs on Richardson for weeks about public consultation. There were four separate events you could have attended and there were online questionnaires you could’ve taken.

Not that many weeks. And I was in the hospital for three of them and when I got home unable to move much for another three. If one of the signs wasn't right by our house, it was pretty  hard for me to see it.

#8865 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 16 December 2019 - 07:32 PM

Not that many weeks. And I was in the hospital for three of them and when I got home unable to move much for another three. If one of the signs wasn't right by our house, it was pretty hard for me to see it.

I suspect that by consultation, they mean that the more it will upset you, the more they'll want to do it.
  • Nparker likes this

#8866 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,169 posts

Posted 03 January 2020 - 06:42 AM

Via Twitter:

Some guy: Love our city for riding. But how can we help to not have bikes stolen or vandalized when riding downtown! Doesn’t seem to matter how good or expensive a lock is somebody is trying to get at parts. Too many chop shops visible around town.

Mayor Helps: Register your bike with @vicpdcanada They have a high rate of recovering registered bikes! vicpd.ca/services/bike-… Also ending poverty, treating addiction and addressing growing inequality would help - people generally don’t steal for no reason.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#8867 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,395 posts

Posted 03 January 2020 - 07:04 AM

Nice to see that Her Worseship hasn't abandoned her "there are no thieves, only desperate people" rhetoric.

#8868 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,304 posts

Posted 03 January 2020 - 07:19 AM

they steal when they know they are unlikely to face consequences or they consider the consequences bearable/worth the risk.  that's simple.

• A Girl is No one likes this

#8869 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 03 January 2020 - 08:16 AM

Nice to see that Her Worseship hasn't abandoned her "there are no thieves, only desperate people" rhetoric.

More silly rhetoric from the mayor. 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#8870 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,169 posts

Posted 03 January 2020 - 08:40 AM

There is also theft among thieves, so the demand for new bikes is never ending. Many end up in chop shops in the hands of individuals high on meth who are inclined to tinker with mechanical items when high. Others are immediately damaged/changed to alter their appearance. You hear it on the scanner all the time, how a bicycle recovered by police during an arrest only partially marches the description formerly provided by the owner.

Know it all.

#8871 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 03 January 2020 - 10:32 AM

When they cleared out tent city at the courthouse, there were countless bikes and bike parts. More than enough for everyone there. I would wager that the stolen bikes were not needed by those « poor » people.

#8872 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 03 January 2020 - 10:48 AM

My bike was just stolen at 9 am this morning from Quadra and Meares! They guy was last seen west on Yates toward Blanshard.

Capture2.JPG

#8873 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,304 posts

Posted 03 January 2020 - 10:55 AM

how was it secured (before it was stolen)?

#8874 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,395 posts

Posted 03 January 2020 - 10:57 AM

My bike was just stolen at 9 am this morning from Quadra and Meares! ...

I am sure the poor fellow had his reasons and that you feel more pity than anger over the incident.

• Rob Randall and Love the rock like this

#8875 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 03 January 2020 - 11:07 AM

It was unlocked. I had my eyes off it for a few seconds.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#8876 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 03 January 2020 - 11:17 AM

Sorry that happened to you.

On a more flippant note, the clear answer is we need less police. Their presence inhibits our key economic drivers, bike theft and the street drug trade. #togethervictoria2020
  • Nparker, Bernard, Daveyboy and 2 others like this

#8877 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 03 January 2020 - 11:20 AM

Via Twitter:

Some guy: Love our city for riding. But how can we help to not have bikes stolen or vandalized when riding downtown! Doesn’t seem to matter how good or expensive a lock is somebody is trying to get at parts. Too many chop shops visible around town.

Mayor Helps: Register your bike with @vicpdcanada They have a high rate of recovering registered bikes! vicpd.ca/services/bike-… Also ending poverty, treating addiction and addressing growing inequality would help - people generally don’t steal for no reason.

Ah, the mayor, perfectly on brand and unfailingly condescending. So... yeah, we get that people don't steal for no reason. There are many reasons (some of which are listed on my property tax bill.)
  • Nparker, Love the rock and jjmac like this

#8878 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,169 posts

Posted 03 January 2020 - 11:32 AM

Damn, Rob.

Did you register it? Want us to post it up on social media?

Know it all.

#8879 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 941 posts

Posted 03 January 2020 - 11:32 AM

What I think about the  Mayors condescending attitude towards  the thief of your bike Rob isn’t printable.

• Nparker and rjag like this

#8880 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 03 January 2020 - 12:56 PM

Just back from a few weeks in London and Lisbon. Some observations that I'll post on relevant threads

Lots of empty unused bike lanes...miles and miles of them.

My daughter lives in the WhiteChapel area beside Tower Hamlets about a 15 min walk from Tower Bridge. She is doing her Masters there and part of it requires fieldwork where she commutes all over London. There is an excellent bus and Tube system there as well as loads of rideshare programs. Her observations on bike lanes are they are rarely used outside of the core Tourist areas ie Westminster, embankment etc. The bike lanes outside of that area are garbage strewn and empty. Even the 'Boris Bikes' are literally rusting in their stands, the ones that arent vandalised have layers of dust and grime on the seats indicating a lack of use. There is a bike highway that is used but not to the same extent as some eu cities

In Lisbon it was similar to London. Except there they have Uber e-scooters to rent. Very popular on Avenida Liberdade to run up a great straight road from the water to their main park. Saw quite a few in use on that road but zero uptake elsewhere. E-bikes were fairly common to see as well as segways. Pretty hilly in the core so outside the tourist route everybody drives or rideshares. Kapten is killing Uber over there. We paid 6 euro to go from the airport to our AirBnB approx 7km away. 

Hired a driver for a day to travel outside of the city and he was saying you only see bikes in packs doing distance training....they take their competitive cycling seriously.

• Mike K., Nparker and sebberry like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users