Photo

[Bicycles] Bike lanes and cycling infrastructure in Victoria and the south Island

• Please log in to reply
11042 replies to this topic

#9281 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 09 August 2020 - 03:24 PM

Time to ban electric bikes!

Simon Cowell broke his back falling off an electric bicycle

https://www.cnn.com/...trnd/index.html

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#9282 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 09 August 2020 - 03:26 PM

^ That is my point and exactly what Helps and Co want to do, eliminate cars from downtown period.

As we all know, there are no cars in European cities!

Cyclists wanting space of their own, is not the same as wanting cars to have no space. We live in a wildly car-centric environment, and some drivers seem to go crazy about sharing the space at all.

• Brayvehart likes this

#9283 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 09 August 2020 - 03:27 PM

Time to ban electric bikes!

Simon Cowell broke his back falling off an electric bicycle

I'm confused, which side of the electric bike argument are you supporting?  :)

• aastra likes this

#9284 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 August 2020 - 01:49 AM

Cyclists wanting space of their own, is not the same as wanting cars to have no space. We live in a wildly car-centric environment, and some drivers seem to go crazy about sharing the space at all.

OK, how many people are going to support the obvious solution: widening the paved area of any road where such is possible (i.e. most roads in the CoV) so as to allow room for bikes and vehicles?  How many people are going to support the resulting loss of green space, trees, and so forth in order to achieve this?

Yes, that's right: not many.

Most roads were designed with auto traffic in mind.  To accommodate higher numbers of cyclists while still accommodating at least the same amount of vehicle traffic and also while, preferably, increasing efficiency for all modes of transport, requires making the road bigger.  Probably not going to happen.

Failing that, what's needed are well-built entirely new cycle-only paths similar to the Goose and parts of Lochside, except with NO pedestrians and that neither impact nor share any existing road.  Likely not happening either on any sort of decent scale due to budget concerns.

So, we have to share what space there is; which is more efficiently done with fewer lines and lanes and more simple adherence to the rules of the road.

#9285 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 10 August 2020 - 06:13 AM

The coin is flipped on trails like the Goose.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#9286 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,339 posts

Posted 10 August 2020 - 08:52 AM

"If you buy an electric trail bike, read the manual before you ride it for the first time," Cowell tweeted Sunday night, sharing "a massive thank you" to all the nurses and doctors that took care of him.

https://abcnews.go.c...ory?id=72269495

good advice there.  the thing probably has some torque and he likely flipped it up and over backwards via rapid acceleration.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 10 August 2020 - 08:53 AM.

#9287 Danma

Danma
  • 888 posts

Posted 10 August 2020 - 09:18 AM

The coin is flipped on trails like the Goose.

I would LOVE for the goose to have separated cycling and walking paths though, and yes, pave over some of the grass to make it happen if necessary... at least in the highest traffic sections like trestle to uptown overpass.

• Mike K., Greg and newbie_01 like this

#9288 Rex Waverly

Rex Waverly
  • 265 posts

Posted 10 August 2020 - 11:46 AM

I would LOVE for the goose to have separated cycling and walking paths though, and yes, pave over some of the grass to make it happen if necessary... at least in the highest traffic sections like trestle to uptown overpass.

The CRD put out an Request For Proposal in October 2019 for conceptual designs to widen (or separate) the Goose north of the trestle as well as the first bit of the Lochside trail.  IIRC the project would also look at lighting options for the sections of trail currently without illumination.  

This doesn't mean they've awarded the contract to anyone or will actually do the work but at least they're recognising that there's an issue. 

Edited by Rex Waverly, 10 August 2020 - 11:48 AM.

• Danma and newbie_01 like this

#9289 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 11 August 2020 - 07:35 AM

Seems even the nice folks in London are getting sick of the class war taking place

https://www.dailymai...-roadworks.html

Responding to claims the road closures were 'anti working class', Islington Council leader Richard Watts tweeted: 'Car ownership in inner-London is linked to income.

'The richer you are, the more likely you are to own a car. Truth is we're stopping affluent people polluting working class communities.

I bet the Ben and Jeremy and the Victoria Cycling Coalition will be proud of what this fool is claiming 

• GaryRanson likes this

#9290 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 07:40 AM

Just when we need a critic: “Simon Cowell has surgery after breaking his back in electric bike accident“: https://globalnews.c...-bike-accident/

#9291 Mr.B

Mr.B
  • 139 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 11 August 2020 - 08:01 PM

Q: When is an e-bike not an e-bike?
A: When it's a 20 kilowatt(!) e-motorbike.

But sure, let's all complain about how dangerous e-bikes are.

Simon Cowell broke his back riding an e-bike … or did he?

https://cyclingtips....bike-or-did-he/

Edited by Mr.B, 11 August 2020 - 08:04 PM.

#9292 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 08:41 PM

What about families cycling?  Can they use the walking paths so they don't get mowed over?

#9293 Danma

Danma
  • 888 posts

Posted 13 August 2020 - 12:35 PM

The CRD put out an Request For Proposal in October 2019 for conceptual designs to widen (or separate) the Goose north of the trestle as well as the first bit of the Lochside trail.  IIRC the project would also look at lighting options for the sections of trail currently without illumination.  

This doesn't mean they've awarded the contract to anyone or will actually do the work but at least they're recognising that there's an issue. 

Oh, great news. I think that this would definitely improve the state of this section of path.

What about families cycling?  Can they use the walking paths so they don't get mowed over?

It's not an express lane, it's meant to reduce congestion and reduce negative pedestrian-cyclist interactions. 

As for issues with cyclists of different abilities and speeds, I don't happen to know if this is an issue. Do you have numbers that support that cyclists (or even pedestrians) are being 'mowed over' by cyclists on the goose on a regular basis?

• Greg and Brantastic like this

#9294 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 13 August 2020 - 12:51 PM

I think this sums up the thoughts of many bike activists. They want the road to themselves and there should be no cars at all.

I said nothing about banning cars. By sharing the roads, I meant sharing lanes. We don't expect pedestrians to share busy 50km/hr+ car lanes with cars, so why should we expect the same from cyclists if they can't keep the same speed as cars and are just as vulnerable as a pedestrian (save for a helmet, which is a pretty minor protection). This isn't a difficult concept.

#9295 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 13 August 2020 - 02:36 PM

The City has laid new asphalt along Langford Street at Tyee up to Alston, and they also created a bike lane with plastic bollards separating the travel lanes from the bikes. In so doing they also took away street side parking which nearby workers used on the daily.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#9296 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 13 August 2020 - 03:10 PM

I said nothing about banning cars. By sharing the roads, I meant sharing lanes. We don't expect pedestrians to share busy 50km/hr+ car lanes with cars, so why should we expect the same from cyclists if they can't keep the same speed as cars and are just as vulnerable as a pedestrian (save for a helmet, which is a pretty minor protection). This isn't a difficult concept.

As mentioned many times I am not against the bike lanes, but I am against what is a lopsided benefit for a few at the expense of the many. 

For example, nothing is more infuriating than being held up by a cyclist in the lane when there is a perfectly good bike lane for them to use.  It makes as much sense as deciding to walk down the bike lane yet somehow it has been normalized.  

#9297 Rex Waverly

Rex Waverly
  • 265 posts

Posted 13 August 2020 - 10:51 PM

The City has laid new asphalt along Langford Street at Tyee up to Alston, and they also created a bike lane with plastic bollards separating the travel lanes from the bikes. In so doing they also took away street side parking which nearby workers used on the daily.

Could it be a pedestrian pathway rather than a bike lane? That section of Langford St is identified as needing pedestrian improvements in the Vic West Neighbourhood Plan (in the 'Neighbourhood-Identified Priority Transportation Improvements' section). 

Quoted from the Vic West NP:

3.3.10. Alston Street and Langford Streets: Over long-term, complete sidewalk network through redevelopment. Evaluate opportunities for short-term sidewalk improvements on Langford Street between Alston Street and Tyee Road, and potential improvements to Alston Street, through update to pavement management plan

(https://www.victoria..._May11_2018.pdf)

#9298 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 14 August 2020 - 05:59 AM

Oh yeah, I guess it could be.

Know it all.

#9299 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 14 August 2020 - 07:47 AM

Could it be a pedestrian pathway rather than a bike lane? That section of Langford St is identified as needing pedestrian improvements in the Vic West Neighbourhood Plan (in the 'Neighbourhood-Identified Priority Transportation Improvements' section). 

Quoted from the Vic West NP:

3.3.10. Alston Street and Langford Streets: Over long-term, complete sidewalk network through redevelopment. Evaluate opportunities for short-term sidewalk improvements on Langford Street between Alston Street and Tyee Road, and potential improvements to Alston Street, through update to pavement management plan

(https://www.victoria..._May11_2018.pdf)

Likely happens when if that lot ever develops.  I'd be surprised for a sidewalk to get put in there before that.

#9300 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 14 August 2020 - 07:55 AM

Confirmed! It’s a pedestrian pathway now.

The Toyota yard has been like that for so long I can’t even remember when it became a car lot. 15-years? You’d think the City could have built the sidewalk by this point, but at least they fixed up the road. It was atrociously bumpy for the last 30-plus-years, and no, I’m not kidding.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users