Photo

[Bicycles] Bike lanes and cycling infrastructure in Victoria and the south Island

• Please log in to reply
11042 replies to this topic

#9301 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 14 August 2020 - 09:07 AM

As mentioned many times I am not against the bike lanes, but I am against what is a lopsided benefit for a few at the expense of the many. 

For example, nothing is more infuriating than being held up by a cyclist in the lane when there is a perfectly good bike lane for them to use.  It makes as much sense as deciding to walk down the bike lane yet somehow it has been normalized.  

That can be irritating, but most of the time I find there's a good reason for that person to be out of the bike lane that you don't know about unless you're the person cycling. Sometimes they need to take a left turn soon and the bike lane is on the far right side of the road. Sometimes it's more dangerous for them to cross several lanes of traffic to get into the bike lane if they need to soon cross several lanes of traffic again to get back into the far left lane. 

I know that there are occasionally people who don't use them for less valid reasons but I also don't see how that is an example of a lopsided benefit, nor is that a reason to perpetuate dangerous infrastructure for cyclists. By that logic we shouldn't build car lanes anymore because some people speed or don't come to a complete stop at stop signs. You could use the exact same argument for pedestrians. On most streets, cars outnumber pedestrians. Therefore, the presence of sidewalks is a benefit to the few at the expense of the many car drivers. That could be another lane for cars! How dare I have to wait a little longer at a pedestrian signal for one person to safely cross! 

If we want to talk about lopsided benefits of our infrastructure, consider the vast amounts of public space we give to the movement and storage of cars in the city. The AAA network, once completed, will hardly take a dent out of the amount of space we give to cars. On most of Pandora, Wharf, and Fort, two thirds to three quarters of the space is still dedicated to parking and lanes for cars, and those are pretty much the most bike-centric streets in the city. On most roads, cyclists get 0% and cars get 100%. That seems lop-sided to me. 

• Mike K., Greg and Rex Waverly like this

#9302 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 14 August 2020 - 12:01 PM

On most of Pandora, Wharf, and Fort, two thirds to three quarters of the space is still dedicated to parking and lanes for cars, and those are pretty much the most bike-centric streets in the city.  

and those roads are some of the worst to navigate now. I was just on the 500 block Pandora and discovered that I can no longer turn right onto Store St. What a joke, my choice was to go over the bridge and turn around or cross over lanes of traffic and turn left and go back up to Govt and over to Herald and back down. Thats just stupid

Edited by rjag, 14 August 2020 - 12:03 PM.

#9303 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 14 August 2020 - 12:07 PM

You can still turn right onto Store Street, just not on a red light.

• Brayvehart likes this

#9304 marks_28

marks_28
  • 480 posts

Posted 14 August 2020 - 12:39 PM

As mentioned many times I am not against the bike lanes, but I am against what is a lopsided benefit for a few at the expense of the many. 

You're right, we should be spending proportionate amount of $ on bike infrastructure as the current modal share suggests, but sadly we are spending far less than that. For example, the Province is contributing just 0.5% of their provincial transportation budget on active transportation.

• Greg and Brayvehart like this

#9305 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 14 August 2020 - 03:43 PM

Yep. The province is spending more on a single passing lane on the highway coming out of Cranbrook than it’s spending on active transportation in the entire province. Ireland (not a country known for its bike infrastructure) spends about 61 times what B.C. spends on active transportation, at approximately the same population.
  • Greg and Brayvehart like this

#9306 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,857 posts

Posted 14 August 2020 - 03:52 PM

bikes already have infrastructure. it’s called “the road”. they are welcome there.

when I grew up there were few bike lanes more cyclists and no higher accident rates.
  • Barrrister likes this

#9307 pennymurphy2000

pennymurphy2000
  • 419 posts

Posted 31 August 2020 - 09:52 AM

https://vancouverisl...yhU8A1M6KpVRdWU

Car crashed through Wharf Street bike lane this am. 

#9308 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 31 August 2020 - 10:02 AM

Capture.JPG

That is the most Victorian traffic accident possible. I think the only thing that would make it better would be if a guy dropped a tray of crumpets.

• Mike K., Nparker, Matt R. and 2 others like this

#9309 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 31 August 2020 - 02:00 PM

That is the most Victorian traffic accident possible.

Not unless the car was being driven by a confused tourist.

#9310 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 31 August 2020 - 05:58 PM

Crumpets are too British, don't you know, lol. That sort of thing is out of favour now.

• Rob Randall likes this

#9311 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 31 August 2020 - 06:02 PM

With no left turn being allowed from Cook onto Richardson the last few days due to repaving, we're getting a taste of how it will be once that is permanently disallowed. Very time-consuming and inconvenient to navigate those narrow sidestreets, lots of cars going both ways, having to pull into driveways to get past. I'm sure those residents will be thrilled when that is a daily feature.

• rjag and rmpeers like this

#9312 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 31 August 2020 - 08:07 PM

With no left turn being allowed from Cook onto Richardson the last few days due to repaving, we're getting a taste of how it will be once that is permanently disallowed. Very time-consuming and inconvenient to navigate those narrow sidestreets, lots of cars going both ways, having to pull into driveways to get past. I'm sure those residents will be thrilled when that is a daily feature.

Yup, I got caught in it today. Linden was busy as a result 

#9313 GaryOak

GaryOak
  • 711 posts

Posted 02 September 2020 - 05:09 PM

https://youtu.be/RxF8VwfNT-o

#9314 GaryOak

GaryOak
  • 711 posts

Posted 02 September 2020 - 05:10 PM

possible jubilee area AAA bike lanes

#9315 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 02 September 2020 - 05:13 PM

Will be perfect for cardiac rehabilitation.

#9316 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 02 September 2020 - 07:05 PM

Oh FFS, the frigging City is going to be in a major debt crisis this next year and they just keep pushing forward their agenda as if its business as usual. I wonder how much less the gas tax transfer is? We know parking revenues are down close to a $million a month isnt it? 

• Nparker likes this

#9317 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 02 September 2020 - 07:52 PM

BC transit is projecting a gas tax revenue reduction of 40% in 2020.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#9318 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 02 September 2020 - 08:42 PM

Every decision the CoV makes is entirely driven by ideology, without any measure of common sense.

• rjag, mbjj, A Girl is No one and 2 others like this

#9319 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 03 September 2020 - 08:47 AM

Oh FFS, the frigging City is going to be in a major debt crisis this next year and they just keep pushing forward their agenda as if its business as usual. I wonder how much less the gas tax transfer is? We know parking revenues are down close to a $million a month isnt it? 

Although projections in March suggested revenue would be down by over a million $ a month, recovery was better than expected and only April/May saw that kind of loss, revenue loss is down to about $600k and decreasing.  The majority of the loss will mostly reduce the transfer into Parking Reserve.  Still not great news but not far off the revenues from about 3-4 years ago.  Still improving however at this time.

Every decision the CoV makes is entirely driven by ideology, without any measure of common sense.

Hey!!!  :mad:

Edited by Ismo07, 03 September 2020 - 08:48 AM.

• rjag likes this

#9320 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 03 September 2020 - 08:50 AM

...Hey!!!  :mad:

I don't blame the bureaucrats for having to implement the idiotic decisions of council.

• rjag likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)