Photo

[Bicycles] Bike lanes and cycling infrastructure in Victoria and the south Island

• Please log in to reply
11042 replies to this topic

#9501 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 20 October 2020 - 08:03 AM

In case you don't recall, the bike lanes were originally going to be placed on Cook St but were moved due to feedback from the public. So the reason these lanes are even on Vancouver St is because people had input in the design.

If you had participated in the consultation, gave constructive feedback and maybe came up with a way to improve the design and make it work better, staff would have surely took it under advisement and, if it improved the design, probably would have incorporated it.

However, if your input would have been "no bike lanes please and thank you!" than no, probably you wouldn't have gotten your way. The mayor and council ran on the promise to (among other things) continue expanding the AAA bike network. The voters gave them a mandate that includes building the network, so yeah, they're not going to just not build them.

As I've said numerous times, I think bike lanes are a good idea, IF they are well designed. Based on what we've seen so far, I'm pretty certain my input would have been dismissed.

#9502 Rex Waverly

Rex Waverly
  • 265 posts

Posted 20 October 2020 - 08:53 AM

As I've said numerous times, I think bike lanes are a good idea, IF they are well designed. Based on what we've seen so far, I'm pretty certain my input would have been dismissed.

I guess that depends on what your input would have been, but i'd like to think that it would have at least been considered. 

Since we're talking about consultation, on the City's Engage website (https://engage.victo...cycling-network) you can view and provide feedback / suggestions on the next phase of the AAA cycle network (Jubilee route selection, Oaklands Connector, Fernwood Conector, Fort St Central corridor). They're calling these 'virtual open houses' (i'm not sure if they're going to have in-person open houses due to Covid). Maybe it's not too late to have input on these routes?  

Or alternatively, for the anti-bike crowd i guess you can go view the early plans and get a head start on your outrage :)

• Brayvehart and Victoria Watcher like this

#9503 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,544 posts

Posted 20 October 2020 - 10:31 AM

Any updates on what's happening to Government Street? I'm looking forward to the thoroughfare getting some attention, generally speaking.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#9504 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 20 October 2020 - 11:17 AM

Any updates on what's happening to Government Street? I'm looking forward to the thoroughfare getting some attention, generally speaking.

The design for Government Street between Hillside and Pandora was approved in July this year. It's available online: https://www.victoria...oved design.pdf

The staff report indicated that the next steps are engineering designs and project tendering, and that it should be included in the 2021 financial plan. The bike lanes are being bundled with several other improvements, including pavement restoration, electrical upgrades, watermain replacement, traffic signal replacement, and new pedestrian crossings. There's also a net gain in parking and loading spaces, which is a rare perk!

The complete staff report is part of the July 2, 2020 COTW agenda: https://pub-victoria...ocumentId=55289

• Mike K., Brayvehart and Brantastic like this

#9505 Rex Waverly

Rex Waverly
  • 265 posts

Posted 20 October 2020 - 11:19 AM

From the City's website:

2020 Projects: Kings-Haultain, Government Street North, Richardson Street, Kimta Road / E&N Connector

Status: Designs Approved by Council, funding to be considered as part of the 2021 Financial Planning process in Fall 2020.

So I think that means the designs are done (available here: https://www.victoria.ca/EN/main/residents/transportation/cycling/2020-projects.html).  Assuming the funding is approved I imagine they will be built next year. 

For those that haven't seen the design, a very brief description (from the plan posted on the City website): Government (from Pandora to Gorge Rd) will be reduced from 4 lanes (2 NB / 2 SB) to 3 lanes (1 NB / 1 SB / 1 centre turning lane). The existing bike lanes (currently between parking and travel lanes) will be moved to adjacent to the sidewalk (between sidewalk and parking) with a painted buffer / bollards between the bike lanes and parked cars).  Parking will be retained on both sides of the road (although i'm not sure if the total number of spaces will stay the same, increase, or decrease).  

• Mike K. likes this

#9506 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,544 posts

Posted 20 October 2020 - 11:46 AM

This is great, thank you to you both.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#9507 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 20 October 2020 - 08:10 PM

Can't get down Vancouver St. near MacClure now, some damn concrete curb is now across the road. More time spent trying to take new routes, more carbon emissions. City is run by dolts.

Pictures from tonight. I think I need to move to this block. So close to downtown, yet it’ll be so quiet.. kind of living in Metchosin I’d imagine..

Attached Images

• 5DB71E22-9CD5-4FC2-A4F0-3B1AEE85AC1D.jpeg
  • A054B711-3196-4D8D-A1BD-2B0D1D2585B8.jpeg

Edited by zoomer, 20 October 2020 - 08:12 PM.

• Matt R., newbie_01, Brayvehart and 3 others like this

#9508 marks_28

marks_28
  • 480 posts

Posted 21 October 2020 - 06:56 AM

Been biking along Vancouver St once a week or so the past little while to keep an eye on this progress. Looks amazing! 😍
  • Matt R. and Brayvehart like this

#9509 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,544 posts

Posted 21 October 2020 - 06:58 AM

Indeed, that’ll be a bit of a goldmine for the property owners in the immediate area.
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.

#9510 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 24 October 2020 - 07:22 AM

Good letter in the paper today about the Vancouver St. bike lanes. I could have written it as we have much the same experience now. The other day we wanted to go out to Galey Farms on Blenkinsop. Our usual route would have been straight up Cook. However Cook St. traffic was backed up as far as we could see, at least from Burdett beyond our vision. We turned up Burdett to Vancouver, then went along to North Park. Since we couldn't proceed there we went along to Quadra, to Bay, then back to Cook. Same coming home. Cook St. totally blocked when we got closer to Wellburns so we scooted up Mason, back to Vancouver then were able to go along to Burdett again. Probably spent ten more minutes in the car on that journey alone. So much for reducing carbon emissions.

• rjag and Barrrister like this

#9511 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,008 posts

Posted 24 October 2020 - 07:29 AM

Good letter in the paper today about the Vancouver St. bike lanes. I could have written it as we have much the same experience now. 

when i read it i wondered if it might be you!

i think it was bill cleverley though.

#9512 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 24 October 2020 - 07:47 AM

Good letter in the paper today about the Vancouver St. bike lanes. I could have written it as we have much the same experience now. The other day we wanted to go out to Galey Farms on Blenkinsop. Our usual route would have been straight up Cook. However Cook St. traffic was backed up as far as we could see, at least from Burdett beyond our vision. We turned up Burdett to Vancouver, then went along to North Park. Since we couldn't proceed there we went along to Quadra, to Bay, then back to Cook. Same coming home. Cook St. totally blocked when we got closer to Wellburns so we scooted up Mason, back to Vancouver then were able to go along to Burdett again. Probably spent ten more minutes in the car on that journey alone. So much for reducing carbon emissions.

Just wait until they screw up Richardson St...you think its bad now....

#9513 marks_28

marks_28
  • 480 posts

Posted 24 October 2020 - 07:54 AM

Lol that article was a bit much. Painting a worst case scenario in terms of light timing. Sure, you’ll probably have to wait maybe 15 seconds longer turning left on Cook? But after that it’s a crap shoot in terms of lights, but on average maybe another 30 seconds in increased time?

I’m confident that the benefits of increased bike traffic along Vancouver St will outweigh the emissions from the very small increases in travel time. I’m sure once Mr Cleverley traverses up the improved Vancouver St on his bike a few times, he may even change his stance on it.
  • Brayvehart and Brantastic like this

#9514 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,544 posts

Posted 24 October 2020 - 07:56 AM

Extrapolate that 15 seconds then 30 seconds to several thousand cars, though, and you’ve got one heck of an emissions jump.
  • rmpeers likes this

Know it all.

#9515 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 24 October 2020 - 07:59 AM

Lol that article was a bit much. Painting a worst case scenario in terms of light timing. Sure, you’ll probably have to wait maybe 15 seconds longer turning left on Cook? But after that it’s a crap shoot in terms of lights, but on average maybe another 30 seconds in increased time?

I’m confident that the benefits of increased bike traffic along Vancouver St will outweigh the emissions from the very small increases in travel time. I’m sure once Mr Cleverley traverses up the improved Vancouver St on his bike a few times, he may even change his stance on it.

I had to drive along Cook from Bay 3-4 times this week and from Caledonia it was gridlocked past Pandora. Took 10 minutes to go 3 blocks. Normally you would turn and run up Vancouver etc but thats not possible. So it is gridlocking already. And dont say its becauise its temporary roadwork....the city has been under siege from temporary roadworks for years. And lets not get started about the lack of parking on Cook in that area now....

No idea where you're getting your 15 seconds from...thats just nonsense

Edited by rjag, 24 October 2020 - 08:00 AM.

• Nparker and Barrrister like this

#9516 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 24 October 2020 - 08:09 AM

...I’m sure once Mr Cleverley traverses up the improved CHANGED Vancouver St on his bike a few times, he may even change his stance on it...

As I have said before, improved is subjective. While Vancouver Street is being changed, it isn't definitively being improved.

• Barrrister likes this

#9517 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 24 October 2020 - 08:12 AM

The other day we wanted to go out to Galey Farms on Blenkinsop.

Maybe in the future you'll change your habits and bike or walk instead?

#9518 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 24 October 2020 - 08:36 AM

Maybe in the future you'll change your habits and bike or walk instead?

Could be a bit tricky to carry your pumpkins on a bike.....
  • aastra and rjag like this

#9519 marks_28

marks_28
  • 480 posts

Posted 24 October 2020 - 08:39 AM

The 15 seconds is from multiple left turns a week from Richardson on to Cook during weekday mornings around 8am. Sometimes there is no wait, sometimes it’s 30 seconds.

And sure, lots of cars doing the same thing may lead to increased emissions. But you also need to take into account the complete loss of emissions due to people traversing that route by bike, post AAA route installation.

Also, the whole notion of bike lanes are bad, look at the perceived increase of emissions. If Mr Cleverley was so concerned about his carbon footprint, maybe he shouldn’t drive so much? Where was his concern with the McKenzie Interchange and the increased traffic it would lead to, and subsequent increased carbon emissions? Or maybe he’s just upset that his commute to the grocery store has increased by 45 seconds?
  • Brayvehart, Brantastic and JohnsonStBridge like this

#9520 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 24 October 2020 - 08:48 AM

https://www.telegrap...g-roads-backed/

https://www.dailymai...l-uprising.html

https://www.dailymai...nes-unused.html

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users