Photo

[Bicycles] Bike lanes and cycling infrastructure in Victoria and the south Island

• Please log in to reply
11042 replies to this topic

#9721 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 10 December 2020 - 06:09 PM

Now that Vancouver street has been rendered all but useless to cars I wish cyclists were actually using it...

Funny, I was just thinking the same thing.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#9722 JohnsonStBridge

JohnsonStBridge
  • 342 posts
  • LocationInner Harbour

Posted 10 December 2020 - 06:14 PM

Now that Vancouver street has been rendered all but useless to cars I wish cyclists were actually using it. I was in the short stretch from McClure to Burdett, not a cyclist in sight as far as the eye could see, but lots of cyclists on Cook St. taking up a lane and squeezing traffic down from two lanes to one. 

I could be wrong but I thought Vancouver St was under construction still? Seems a bit out of line to expect cyclists to use a route for a short stretch only to have to detour in a block or two.

• newbie_01 likes this

#9723 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 10 December 2020 - 06:46 PM

I do it all the time. I will ride a block out of my way for the benefit of using a bike lane rather than use a street that is not nearly as busy as Cook street. By bike, it only takes seconds to ride that block so it’s worth the more pleasant ride.

#9724 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 10 December 2020 - 06:49 PM

Now that Vancouver street has been rendered all but useless to cars I wish cyclists were actually using it. I was in the short stretch from McClure to Burdett, not a cyclist in sight as far as the eye could see, but lots of cyclists on Cook St. taking up a lane and squeezing traffic down from two lanes to one. 

Are you serious? I live on Vancouver Street and look out to it through my bedroom and living room windows and cyclists are plentiful. I just looked out my window for about 10 seconds and watched one go by (at 6:46 pm). I biked along it today to get from North Park to Cook Street Village and passed many cyclists in all three neighborhoods I passed through. I use it nearly everyday and consistently see this. Construction isn't even complete, especially through Harris Green, arguably the most important section to complete. It's also December, the month that almost always sees the fewest cyclists. 

Oh! Just saw another one. Oh! There's three more.

• Brayvehart likes this

#9725 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 10 December 2020 - 06:58 PM

I'm also skeptical about whether you truly do wish cyclists were using it in great quantities. If the project proved successful, you'd run out of things to complain about. The anti-bike crowd here always seems excited to declare bike projects to be a failure. 

• Matt R., newbie_01 and JohnsonStBridge like this

#9726 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 10 December 2020 - 07:08 PM

When the day comes to retire I’ll offer my services as VV’S Fact Based Reporter/Investigator. Want to really know how many bikes are going down Vancouver street - just ask Zoomer and he’ll set up for an all day counting session with a lawn chair, note pad, HB pencil and 6 pack of Lucky beer (not to drink, but to be more incognito).
  • Brantastic likes this

#9727 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 10 December 2020 - 07:13 PM

Maybe I’ll even jerry-rig my own counting devices by using garden hoses laid across the road. For definite proof I’ll excavate a trap into the road which cyclists will fall into and be held for the 24 hour reporting period before being released.

Edited by zoomer, 10 December 2020 - 07:14 PM.

#9728 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 10 December 2020 - 08:19 PM

Guide to complaining about bike lanes:

Example 1:
a) If a street already had lots of cyclists before bike lanes, say "What's the point of putting in bike lanes when there's clearly already lots of cyclists using this street without any issue? Obviously the street is fine as is so this is a waste of money." (ex. Vancouver St, Harbour Rd)
b) If a street has few cyclists before bike lanes, say "Why are we catering to a tiny minority of road users when clearly this street is mainly used by drivers, not cyclists." (Ex. Fort Street or Pandora Street)

Example 2:
a) If a street has lots of car traffic, say things like "This is a major thoroughfare for drivers! Why take away vital space for drivers on Fort Street? These bike lanes should go on a quiet side street like View Street where they won't impede my ability to drive quickly home."
b) If a street has little car traffic, say things like "What's the point of this project? There's already few cars using this road so there's no need to implement road closures" (ex. Haultain St)

Example 3:
a) If a tree is removed to make space for a new bike lane, say "Now the city is just a concrete jungle. This clearly demonstrates the hypocrisy of city council on their commitments to the environment. They claim they want to mitigate climate change yet they tear down trees" (ex. Wharf/Humboldt Street)
b) If trees are planted alongside a new bike path, say things like "These new trees block the views of the ocean when I sit in my car on Dallas Road" (This was a legitimate opinion piece I read in the Times Colonist a few months back)

Example 4: 
a) If dedicated turn signals are implemented at intersections with protected bike lanes, say "This is ridiculous! This increases the length of my commute by 20 seconds!" (ex. every AAA bike route downtown)
b) If dedicated turn signals are not implemented, say "This intersection is far more dangerous than before changes were made. I've witnessed so many close calls where drivers didn't see cyclists coming from behind when they tried to make a right turn and nearly hit the cyclist!" (ex. Shelbourne and McKenzie).

So, we need to build only painted bike lanes on a temporary trial basis to see if they are effective on streets that don't have too many cars but not too few cars, and where cyclists are already plentiful but not too plentiful, with trees neither removed nor planted, and no potential for drivers to turn into cyclists at intersections but without dedicated turn signals, and only if they don't take away lanes for cars, parking spaces for cars, or narrow the width of lanes for cars, at some undefined price that isn't too expensive (except that it's always too expensive) and only after every single resident of the CoV has provided feedback. And if I see one cyclist even break one law, the whole thing's off.

Edited by Brantastic, 10 December 2020 - 08:29 PM.

• zoomer, Greg, gstc84 and 6 others like this

#9729 marks_28

marks_28
  • 480 posts

Posted 10 December 2020 - 08:45 PM

Almost as if they should have stuck with the original plan of putting them on Cook St, as that’s where the cyclists want to ride. But that’s a whole other issue lol.

But that being said, I’d also agree with some others here, let’s wait until construction is complete. And even still, I’ve hiked along there many times and have always seen other bikes.
  • Brayvehart likes this

#9730 marks_28

marks_28
  • 480 posts

Posted 10 December 2020 - 08:47 PM

Re the bike lane complaining 101... LOL.

You must’ve done a pretty good job spreading the word! Have these instructions been printed in the TC? Read aloud on CFAX? Wonder how the word got out..
  • kirk, newbie_01, Brayvehart and 1 other like this

#9731 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 10 December 2020 - 08:53 PM

Can I nominate this for Rob Randall’s Post of the Week award? Quite brilliant - who said the internet was broken?

Edit - Referring to Brantastic’s Guide to Bike Route Complaining, not this actual post in case there was confusion..

Edited by zoomer, 10 December 2020 - 08:55 PM.

• Brayvehart and Brantastic like this

#9732 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 December 2020 - 11:29 PM

Is the two-block stretch of Vancouver between Yates and Fort going to end up as one-way?  I ask because when driving by it looks pretty narrow for two lanes.

#9733 kirk

kirk
  • 38 posts

Posted 10 December 2020 - 11:47 PM

I usually cycle the full length of Vancouver 2x/day as I go from Oaklands to work downtown. Love biking home in a parade of  bikes - of both government workers and people who work in construction and kids if it's after school. :)   

I bike down Vancouver less currently because they are not done construction & it is stressful not knowing where to go in between all those orange cones (the part at Caledonia is currently the worst).

It is also hard with all the bumps & metal plates from the road construction. So I go down Pandora or Fort lanes instead -will return to Vancouver once the construction is finished.       

• marks_28, Brayvehart and JohnsonStBridge like this

#9734 Rex Waverly

Rex Waverly
  • 265 posts

Posted 11 December 2020 - 12:56 AM

Is the two-block stretch of Vancouver between Yates and Fort going to end up as one-way?  I ask because when driving by it looks pretty narrow for two lanes.

Not according to the plans put online.... that section will have separate bike lanes on either side protected by either concrete curbs or bollards on a painted buffer, so the vehicle space is definitely getting narrowed, but will still be two way.  

It IS going to be one-way (southbound) between Fort and Meares, and one-way (northbound) between Meares and Rockland, so either direction will have to turn at Meares (can't go straight through).  There will be (or maybe already are) diverters installed on either side of Meares to prevent through traffic from going straight through on Vancouver.

• Brayvehart likes this

#9735 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,543 posts

Posted 11 December 2020 - 06:05 AM

Ah, so that’s the work they were doing on Vancouver yesterday. I turned off Fort heading north and flaggers were controlling traffic at the intersections as crews were building the forms for curbs.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#9736 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 11 December 2020 - 06:47 AM

Funny, I was just thinking the same thing.

Yup. Have been past there quite a few times and not seen any cyclists taking advantage of the appalling, who-the-f%*#-designed-this-attrocity wonder that is now Vancouver Street.

#9737 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 11 December 2020 - 08:07 AM

Good to see the TV/bike lobby approach to winning people over hasnt changed. 

• Nparker likes this

#9738 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 11 December 2020 - 08:45 AM

Well we're on Vancouver almost every day and rarely see a cyclist. I'm glad if they're there, just keep them off Cook St. which is getting more congested by the day. The whole neighbourhood is just such a mess now and it looks like they're going to bugger up the Quadra/Burdett intersection as there are lines all over the road. 

Edited by mbjj, 11 December 2020 - 08:48 AM.

#9739 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,543 posts

Posted 11 December 2020 - 09:04 AM

A friend who lived in the condos near Vancouver between Burdett and McClure (where the street closed to pass-through traffic) has listed her place and moved to Alberta. I had a chance to check out the home and took some time to observe the activity at McClure which had a few cyclists and pedestrians pass by (this was mid-morning on a weekday). Overall the area is much quieter now, and I can see home values rising due to the reduction in pass-through traffic.

• kirk likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#9740 Rex Waverly

Rex Waverly
  • 265 posts

Posted 11 December 2020 - 09:15 AM

I don't think it's all that surprising if it's not heavily used by cyclists yet..... the route is still under construction in multiple places, the paint markings and wayfinding signs have not been installed, road crossings at the major intersections aren't finished. There hasn't been any opening announcements or press releases to draw attention to the route, and it doesn't show up on any maps yet; there may be a number of cyclists who don't know about the option yet.  

I'm assuming (also hoping) that there will be counters installed on Vancouver Street similar to on the other AAA routes.  They've been pretty effective in showing the utilization of the other bike routes (especially handy when someone starts arguing how they've never ever seen a cyclist use the lane!).  

• gstc84, Brayvehart and JohnsonStBridge like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)