Photo

[Bicycles] Bike lanes and cycling infrastructure in Victoria and the south Island

• Please log in to reply
11042 replies to this topic

#10141 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 22 May 2021 - 05:53 AM

^  Ya know, I have been trying to convince my wife we need a second 4x4.  First it was all the potholes and now its the bike lane traps.   

• jrm likes this

#10142 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 23 May 2021 - 01:53 PM

Trouble in cyclists’ paradise: Amsterdam accused of favouring pedestrians | Netherlands | The Guardian

Little bit of irony here!!!

“It starts with the proclamation of a pedestrian zone and before you know it, cycling is discouraged with kerbs and then fences. The centre becomes the domain of pedestrians. The municipality will have to defend cyclists against an increase in walkers, tourists and the catering industry.”

Advertisement

A number of unfortunate developments are raised as evidence that the humble pedestrian, and their allies in the catering industry, have got the upper hand.

Over 2019 and 2020, a trial was launched by the municipality to see if it could encourage cyclists to take “alternative routes” rather than travel directly on the Damstraatjes and Haarlemmerstraat, two central areas.

• sebberry likes this

#10143 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 23 May 2021 - 02:32 PM

It's never been about finding a better way, it's all about power and control.  

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#10144 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 23 May 2021 - 06:18 PM

Looking at Twitter of late, it appears that the usual half-dozen "cycling advocates" are growing ever more angry and obnoxious, ranting about motorists and making fun of a twitter user called Maureen who I guess has been critical of the local bike lines. My thought is that maybe if these dudes could reign in their douchiness just a wee bit, the bike lane issue might become a little less acrimonious.
  • rjag and A Girl is No one like this

#10145 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 24 May 2021 - 02:20 PM

...it's all about power and control.

Arbitrary changes, new rules and enforced patterns of new behaviour, plenty of confusion and inconvenience, stoking of interpersonal tensions and "hate thy neighbour" attitudes, transparently manipulative politics (some selfish people believing they're on the winning team that's gaining special privileges, other selfish people believing they're on the losing team that's getting jobbed, with strategically-timed 180-degree flips of the script generating much betrayal-outrage along the way... and very few people ever grasping the fact that there's no winning team in these kinds of games).

Dutch cycling union claims city has turned on them by making centre more difficult to navigate

...claim the municipality has turned on them, unfairly prioritising pedestrians in the city’s historic centre.

Hey, you've unfairly given priority to... walking around on the ground? Obviously this is a nonsensically inflammatory premise. Bodily locomotion along the ground is not a privilege to be regulated, to be granted or taken away. It's a fundamental fact of this living existence. What next? Maybe people will want governments to regulate fundamental face-to-face human interactions? Or the very act of breathing?

How many times do people need to learn the lesson? If you think there's some personal advantage to be gained by dancing with the snake then you're guaranteed to feel those fangs sooner or later. This is Politics 101. Ask the friends of Beacon Hill Park how it works.

• A Girl is No one likes this

#10146 qv

qv
  • 297 posts

Posted 24 May 2021 - 06:24 PM

I highly recommend giving the bike lanes a try. If you've never used them, take a ride downtown on a nice sunny summer afternoon or evening and get a drink or a meal downtown. It's a very pleasant way to enjoy the city.
  • Mike K., Danma and Brayvehart like this

#10147 LJ

LJ
  • 12,736 posts

Posted 24 May 2021 - 07:09 PM

I highly recommend giving the bike lanes a try. If you've never used them, take a ride downtown on a nice sunny summer afternoon or evening and get a drink or a meal downtown. It's a very pleasant way to enjoy the city.

As long as you can take your bike into the bar with you.

• North Shore, Hotel Mike, Danma and 4 others like this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#10148 Rex Waverly

Rex Waverly
  • 265 posts

Posted 25 May 2021 - 09:26 AM

As long as you can take your bike into the bar with you.

That's what patios are for, just lock the bike up beside your table.  I've found that the addition / expansion of patio spaces to be one of the few positive bonuses to come from this damn pandemic; most restaurants now have outdoor seating, which besides being able to enjoy the sunny days (presumably on their way some day soon) also lets you keep an eye on your bike.

• Greg and qv like this

#10149 LJ

LJ
  • 12,736 posts

Posted 25 May 2021 - 07:46 PM

That's what patios are for, just lock the bike up beside your table.  I've found that the addition / expansion of patio spaces to be one of the few positive bonuses to come from this damn pandemic; most restaurants now have outdoor seating, which besides being able to enjoy the sunny days (presumably on their way some day soon) also lets you keep an eye on your bike.

Well they just re-opened indoor dining so hang on to your bike. Oh, maybe they will only open patios to bike riders.

#10150 Danma

Danma
  • 889 posts

Posted 25 May 2021 - 08:14 PM

I'm hoping this is a permanent trend that remains!

#10151 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,968 posts

Posted 05 June 2021 - 04:03 AM

Victoria cyclists have a new contiguous north-south route to help them navigate the city.

Just in time for Go by Bike Week, the Vancouver Street All Ages and Abilities (AAA) cycling route is complete, bringing benefits to pedestrians as well.

The 2.5-kilometre project is a part of the city’s 32-km priority network and extends from Bay Street to Park Boulevard. The design features traffic-calmed, shared-use bikeways in North Park and Fairfield with one-way protected bike lanes through the downtown core.

https://www.vicnews....-cycle-network/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 05 June 2021 - 04:03 AM.

#10152 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 09 June 2021 - 05:50 PM

Any taxi cab companies have bike racks?
  • todd likes this

#10153 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 08 July 2021 - 06:20 PM

Some fools have a death wish - check out this alleycat race through around the inner harbour. Riding the centre line, nearly running over a pedestrian, all in good fun I guess.

https://www.instagra...edium=copy_link

#10154 LJ

LJ
  • 12,736 posts

Posted 08 July 2021 - 07:09 PM

If he cut me off like he did the woman in the crosswalk he would have been flat on his head.

• sebberry likes this

#10155 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 08 July 2021 - 07:26 PM

Organ donors, I guess.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#10156 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 08 July 2021 - 08:54 PM

There are guys in Manhattan that do this. I guess it's catching on here. As someone with more miles under his tires than all those jabronis put together I say that's foolish behaviour.

#10157 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 08 July 2021 - 10:31 PM

Some fools have a death wish - check out this alleycat race through around the inner harbour. Riding the centre line, nearly running over a pedestrian, all in good fun I guess.

https://www.instagra...edium=copy_link

Apparently it was an "anti-Canada Day thing". But an *sshole is an *sshole.

So this new trend is attempting to turn the worst aspects of cyclist behaviour into a formalized activity?
  • Nparker and Dr. Barillas like this

#10158 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 09 July 2021 - 09:05 AM

I like that the guy still bothers signalling…albeit only those barely perceptible hand signals that I see so many cyclists use.

#10159 Danma

Danma
  • 889 posts

Posted 09 July 2021 - 09:47 AM

Damn, what a bunch of idiots. A danger to themselves and others for literally no benefit

#10160 LJ

LJ
  • 12,736 posts

Posted 09 July 2021 - 07:33 PM

I like that the guy still bothers signalling…albeit only those barely perceptible hand signals that I see so many cyclists use.

I'm thinking he is just signaling to his asshat friend behind him which way they are going to go. 

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users