Photo

[Bicycles] Bike lanes and cycling infrastructure in Victoria and the south Island

• Please log in to reply
11042 replies to this topic

#10301 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 28 March 2022 - 05:07 AM

Who would be liable for the theft of the bike?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#10302 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 28 March 2022 - 09:12 AM

Who would be liable for the theft of the bike?

Same as usual
  • Matt R. likes this

#10303 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 28 March 2022 - 06:11 PM

Why aren’t ebike charging stations a thing? It’s just an outlet next to a bike rack

Cars get a station

Probably because of their use.  Few will go round trip from the Westshore (28K) during the winter and even then they are fine for the round trip.  Closer round trips are also fine for charging from home.  The investment needed for charging stations, payment systems, etc. just doesn't make sense.  Also, it isn't like ebikes have a standardized specialty plug in for recharging.   110v outlets in public can get overtaken for all sorts of things.

• Mike K. likes this

#10304 splashflash

splashflash
  • 238 posts

Posted 29 March 2022 - 12:31 PM

Probably because of their use.  Few will go round trip from the Westshore (28K) during the winter and even then they are fine for the round trip.  Closer round trips are also fine for charging from home.  The investment needed for charging stations, payment systems, etc. just doesn't make sense.  Also, it isn't like ebikes have a standardized specialty plug in for recharging.   110v outlets in public can get overtaken for all sorts of things.

From CBC's news report on Climate Change Plan:
That transition will require a dramatic expansion of the ZEV charging station infrastructure. The government is promising $400 million in new funding to help add 50,000 chargers to Canada's network. The Canada Infrastructure Bank, the federal body that supports revenue-generating infrastructure projects that are in the public interest through public-private partnerships, will also spend some $500 million on large-scale ZEV charging and refueling infrastructure.

Likely for bikes too.  https://www.cbc.ca/n...-plan-1.6401228

#10305 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 29 March 2022 - 01:13 PM

...That transition will require a dramatic expansion of the ZEV charging station infrastructure. The government is promising $400 million in new funding to help add 50,000 chargers to Canada's network...

And those ZEV chargers are made out of 100% environmentally friendly materials...i.e. no plastics or mined metals?

• todd likes this

#10306 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 29 March 2022 - 05:26 PM

“Man fined $80 for plugging electric vehicle into wall socket at Surrey parking lot”: https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.6396913

#10307 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,343 posts

Posted 29 March 2022 - 05:32 PM

^ except he was not fined. A problem with the article headline.

But CBC will get more clicks with the way it is.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 29 March 2022 - 05:33 PM.

#10308 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 29 March 2022 - 06:47 PM

And those ZEV chargers are made out of 100% environmentally friendly materials...i.e. no plastics or mined metals?

for my bike otherwise I’m buying a second battery possibly a third

Edited by todd, 29 March 2022 - 06:48 PM.

#10309 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 29 March 2022 - 07:15 PM

for my bike otherwise I’m buying a second battery possibly a third

If you just buy Bikes instead of batteries, you still ride as they get stolen.

#10310 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 30 March 2022 - 08:01 PM

Why is the government putting in charging stations?

Let capitalism work, if there is a demand somebody will fill it, like Electrify America.

• Nparker and Victoria Watcher like this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#10311 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 30 March 2022 - 09:19 PM

Capitalism is enjoying the government’s largesse here. Why get in the way?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#10312 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 30 March 2022 - 10:00 PM

Capitalism is enjoying the government’s largesse here. Why get in the way?

Because the government's largesse is coming out my wallet.

#10313 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 30 March 2022 - 10:18 PM

Let capitalism work, if there is a demand somebody will fill it, like Electrify America.

I want to charge my bike around Fort Rodd Hill.

Edited by todd, 30 March 2022 - 10:19 PM.

#10314 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,343 posts

Posted 31 March 2022 - 03:17 AM

Indeed. If government wants to help them flourish the best way is just to cut regulations or make it easier for installations to happen.
  • Nparker likes this

#10315 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 31 March 2022 - 05:31 AM

Like making it easier to build housing helped deliver more housing for less?

Oh, wait. They just add more taxes, make codes more onerous and limit where you can build.

Know it all.

#10316 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,343 posts

Posted 31 March 2022 - 05:33 AM

Perhaps bringing in 400,000 new people each year is part of the housing demand problem.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 31 March 2022 - 05:33 AM.

• Barrrister likes this

#10317 GaryOak

GaryOak
  • 707 posts

Posted 31 March 2022 - 07:27 AM

If I'm correct a big reason why electrify america exists is due to the VW emissions scandal, and installing EV infrastructure was apart of the settlement.
  • todd likes this

#10318 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 31 March 2022 - 11:16 PM

Fine until capitalism jacks the price up just because it can, and only puts the charging stations in the high-density areas to start with.

No thanks.  In my view it's the government's job to provide infrastructure, and they have the opportunity now to get in and do so.

Any guesses on an over-under on how long it'll be before some government somewhere (probably Europe, they're way ahead on consumer rights) legislates that all EV chargers must use the same plug-in attachment at both the vehicle end and the source end?. The best opportunity for this has already, sadly, been missed; but they can always do it if they have the guts to take on Tesla. (just like Apple had to be dragged kicking and screaming into standardizing their cellphone chargers with everyone else, at least in Europe)

#10319 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 01 April 2022 - 07:33 AM

Nothing wrong with capitalism charging what consumers will pay, and putting chargers where they’ll get the most use.

Society shouldn’t be subsidizing rich people buying expensive brand new electric cars.

Know it all.

#10320 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,343 posts

Posted 01 April 2022 - 07:36 AM

That’s the problem with government, they will put them in all the wrong places.

Make it easy for supermarkets to add them and you’ve got a winning model.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users