- - - - -

Target stores in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
467 replies to this topic

#401 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 02:53 PM

And modeling one's business strategies after Zeller's is to be commended how?

Zellers did a good job on their liquidation. They managed to consistently move inventory through,

#402 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,671 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 03:03 PM

Zellers did a good job on their liquidation. They managed to consistently move inventory through,

In fact, shopping at Zeller's was never better than when they were going out of business.

• bluefox and johnk like this

#403 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 03:14 PM

And Zellers was pretty accurate about advertising their discounts (versus a doorcrasher 30% off! that doesn't actually apply to the bulk of the stock you don't actually have...)

#404 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 04:15 PM

We stopped bothering with Zeller's for the same reason we ditched Target, they couldn't fill the shelves. Funny, but Wal-Mart manages to do it pretty well. IIRC Wally were the first big retailer with computerized inventory management. You bought a pair of socks in Regina and they knew about it in Arkansas seconds later. If you have to get Morty phone someone to send more socks or you see guys with notepads counting shelf items you are already doomed in this day and age.
  • Rob Randall and Nparker like this

#405 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 04:44 PM

First of all, anyone running a sale in Victoria knows that the word sale alone is enough to line up buyers.

Secondly, this is exactly what Zellers did when they liquidated. They started off with small discounts which grew over time.

The word SALE is misleading as everything is always for sale, you just need to know your comparative prices before you go in and get caught up in the feeding frenzy.

#406 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 04:58 PM

Is it a sale or a "liquidation event"?

#407 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 05:45 PM

We stopped bothering with Zeller's for the same reason we ditched Target, they couldn't fill the shelves. Funny, but Wal-Mart manages to do it pretty well. IIRC Wally were the first big retailer with computerized inventory management. You bought a pair of socks in Regina and they knew about it in Arkansas seconds later. If you have to get Morty phone someone to send more socks or you see guys with notepads counting shelf items you are already doomed in this day and age.

The word at the time was that Walmart and Sears ordered huge amounts of stock from suppliers in advance of the Target openings and effectively squeezed Target inventory.

#408 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 05:50 PM

The word at the time was that Walmart and Sears ordered huge amounts of stock from suppliers in advance of the Target openings and effectively squeezed Target inventory.

They must have a warehouse full of socks.

• Nparker and sasamat like this

#409 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 07:05 PM

Wow, I don't even think Morty could have solved that supply chain problem.

• johnk likes this

#410 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 08:30 PM

Got a text from a friend who just finished his shift at Target Hillside. Said the store was packed all day and up to 12 deep at the checkouts.

I guess that all the complaining people still packed the shopping bags

#411 bluefox

bluefox

ex-Victorian

• 697 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 09:06 PM

Shoppers unimpressed with Target's liquidation "sale": http://www.vancouver...9821/story.html

Amazing how many people don't remember (or choose not to remember) that this is how liquidation sales have always worked. The longer you wait, the higher the discounts, but, also, the greater the risk is that what you want is no longer in stock.

People complained about perceived higher prices, now Target is leaving and liquidating, and people are still complaining about prices.

NEWSFLASH: You are not entitled to a deal.

(Not the owner of, nor am I associated with, the Blue Fox Café, in any way.)

#412 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 10:45 PM

Wow, real retail hardball. They certainly know the size of Target in the US and they were prepared to slug it out.

#413 Matt in Langford

Matt in Langford
  • 54 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 11:52 PM

Not too busy at the Tillicum location when the doors opened at 8am. I was at the upstairs entrance. There were maybe 30 people ahead of me at the front door. I was looking for Target swag. I didn't need any movies discounted at 20% off.and clothing at 30% off.

#414 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 07:32 AM

I suppose this is a bad time to give Target gift cards as presents, right?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#415 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 07:39 AM

I suppose this is a bad time to give Target gift cards as presents, right?

I give out gift cards at Christmas, but I don't put anything on them.

• LocalMom and Jill like this

#416 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 07:41 AM

Jeepers, now the TC is lamenting the discounted prices. For crying out loud Victoria, liquidation sales start off slow in cases like this. These guys know everyone will be lining up for stuff even at 20% off, so just chill. And if you're still too cheap to buy that silly whatever it is you so desperately want at a 30% off price, wait a week or two and maybe you'll find it at 40% off and can feel like a true winner.

There. There's my gripe of the day.
  • Jill and bluefox like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#417 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 06 February 2015 - 08:06 AM

The TC seems to be suffering from a bit of a case of cranial-rectal inversion these days.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#418 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 05:06 PM

The TC seems to be suffering from a bit of a case of cranial-rectal inversion these days.

What is that...do you have the photographs?

#419 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 01:04 PM

Hillside store was mostly empty this morning. There was very little at 30% as most items were advertised at 10%. Hardly any saving at that price, and for now the rush is over.

I wonder how the Starbuck's franchise made out just inside the entrance, as that was closed down?

Do you think they will sell off the red exercise balls as "fixtures"?

photo-2.jpg

• Mike K. and D.L. like this

#420 larrobb

larrobb
  • 120 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 07:04 PM

i've never seen any store, in any circumstance, actually post signs advertising 5% off.....that's the big liquidation deal on iPads at Target.  realizing that Apple controls pricing on their gear, this still doesn't put Target in any more of a positive light.  5% just feels like an insult to the collective intelligence to the paying public.  however, snow shovels are marked down by 20%....and seem to be moving as quickly as the iPads.  this is the weirdest retail death ever.

• Nparker likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users