- - - - -

Target stores in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
467 replies to this topic

#101 Mr_E_Squirrel

Mr_E_Squirrel
  • 589 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:28 AM

Its not really going to bring new jobs. They will just rehire those that were released from Zellers. Maybe not all the same ones but the same amount. The manager of the Hillside one is the Zellers manager who before that was the KMart Manager at Canwest.
So I dont really agree that " It will bring Jobs" the jobs were already there and still are there with a lay off period in between will a new coat of paint is spalshed on the place and a new sign put up.
Taget doesnt sell anything spectacular. It will not be like shopping in a US location where you can buy a 8 pack of AA Blue Energizer lithium batteries for $6 ...Nope it is still Canada where that will cost you $40
People get sucked in by what they think is a good thing when in fact its just another store.
There will be huge line ups the first few days to get in to see the same old same old.....

.A majority of those in the line up with be welfare recipients lined up with their mobile baby farms in strollers ...... waiting to get the "good" same stuff Walmart sells and the same stuff that Zellers sold.

The only thing in Target that may interet me is the Starbucks .. I wont have to deal with parking by London Drugs to go get my fix I can park up top .

When I think of Target I do not think high end, or expensive or quality. I think of Walmart and cheap particle board furniture and I think of all the cargo containers at the dock with Chinese writing on them.

There is a Starbucks uptop already, to the right at Safeway.Makes 3 in the one center/mall

#102 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 11:43 AM

[/I]When I think of Target I do not think high end, or expensive or quality. I think of Walmart and cheap particle board furniture and I think of all the cargo containers at the dock with Chinese writing on them.

You are ignoring the style and design aspect. IKEA is also cheap Chinese particle board but they are a world apart from Zellers. Take a minute to look at the Target website and you will see what they sell is not in the same category.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#103 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 12:30 PM

^^ History Buff u do realize each store is going to have about twice as many employees that Zellers stores had. A lot more will be full time positions as well.

Well if that is the case I opened my mouth too fast without the facts probably a first on this forum
I wonder how they are able to have more staff and more full time

#104 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 12:32 PM

They expect to sell a lot more than Zellers.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#105 cakeman

cakeman
  • 216 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 03:34 PM

Well if that is the case I opened my mouth too fast without the facts probably a first on this forum

IMHO, it wouldnt be hard. My experience with Zellers (at Hillside, admittedly) was usually baaaaad. I got my cheap Ts and work jeans there and the place was a disorganized mess each n every time.. I very seldom saw staff out on the floor.. and the few times I did, their help was.. questionable.

Im not so interested in Target that I'll drive across town to check it out.. but I'll pop into the Hillside one when its open and see what the fuss is about..

cakes..

#106 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 03:35 PM

From looking in today, don't think it will be till April that it opens now. But construction crew was diing interior clean up today.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#107 LJ

LJ
  • 12,736 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 07:14 PM

Oh boy, nah its just too easy.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#108 larrobb

larrobb
  • 120 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:22 AM

A cashier in London Drugs this morning says Target will open May 7.

#109 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 03:04 PM

A cashier in London Drugs this morning says Target will open May 7.

That's late from their original plan....

#110 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:42 PM

I am not sure why that is late, it was always spring which is May to me

I know the Courtenay Target should open July 5. I don't have any dates for Campbell River or Nanaimo

#111 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 04:41 AM

From a guy I know at Tillicum Admin it was supposed to be the end of March. Haven't seen him in a while though..

#112 bcdoug

bcdoug
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:22 AM

Well, I noticed in the Sooke paper from this week, April 24, on the back page in the bottom left corner is an ad that says "Browse the Target.Flyer" at a website called flyerland.ca. It has a picture of a laptop with the Target Heart Maple Leaf logo. That makes me think that perhaps the opening of the store at Tillicum is not too far off. Fingers crossed that their pricing will be competitive.

#113 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 09:14 PM

wHpYH9GGGac

#114 atoosagurl

atoosagurl
  • 14 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 06 May 2013 - 05:42 PM

Target "soft opens" tomorrow morning at 8:00am.

http://www.timescolo...centre-1.146797

#115 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:24 PM

I am very interested in their selection of shower caddys

#116 larrobb

larrobb
  • 120 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 04:38 PM

decided to make my first Target purchase today- milk. at $4.56 for a 4 litre jug, it's better priced than most grocery stores, though only barely. only problem was that the entire cooler was stocked with 1% and 2 % jugs with expiry dates of May 25..... kind of surprising for a brand new store with a competitive price.

#117 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 05:06 PM

Well from what I have gleaned in people's reviews of the store since the 'soft' opening...it went over like a lead balloon.

Pretty much everyone said the same thing...a revamped Zellers. Poorly stocked.

Ho hum.

I walked through a few days after the opening. I have to agree.

#118 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 05:12 PM

I walked through today and agree. A lot of floor area with not much merchandise, and few people. I also managed to visit Walmart not long after and the place was busy.

#119 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,601 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 05:49 PM

Hadn't planned on being there but found myself in Target on the weekend: my first thought was this is nothing like the Target stores I've been to in the US in terms of layout and especially regarding the stark (lack of) variety and choice of merchandise. If anyone who hasn't yet been to Tillicum is expecting a similar experience to Target south of the border you are bound to be keenly disappointed. I needed 3 very common household items and they struck out on all 3 of them, "out of stock" I was told in two cases which seemed quite odd for a brand new store - and all of which I easily found at the London Drugs in the lower mall. I came away very disappointed; and to boot I've heard from a few sources they don't and nor was there apparently any intention of providing "US-style" discounted pricing. So while the price points are just ok, combined with the lack of stock, my first impression was overwhelmingly "meh".

#120 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,031 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 06:48 PM

Went in today looking for dry erase board cleaner, no dice. Went looking to buy underwear and they only had flannel boxers, boxer briefs and tights whiteys.

Lame. Left empty handed.

Matt.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users