Target stores in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
467 replies to this topic

#121 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 06:58 PM

Geezus Matt....you can't say underwear and empty handed on this forum.....even if that was your Target. :) I hope you are doing well at on SS. Bless you.

#122 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 06:58 PM

Hadn't planned on being there but found myself in Target on the weekend: my first thought was this is nothing like the Target stores I've been to in the US in terms of layout and especially regarding the stark (lack of) variety and choice of merchandise. If anyone who hasn't yet been to Tillicum is expecting a similar experience to Target south of the border you are bound to be keenly disappointed. I needed 3 very common household items and they struck out on all 3 of them, "out of stock" I was told in two cases which seemed quite odd for a brand new store - and all of which I easily found at the London Drugs in the lower mall. I came away very disappointed; and to boot I've heard from a few sources they don't and nor was there apparently any intention of providing "US-style" discounted pricing. So while the price points are just ok, combined with the lack of stock, my first impression was overwhelmingly "meh".

Funny you should mention London Drugs. That's where we found our item after walking through Target.

I know my daughter was initially excited about Target. She had the U.S. stores in mind.
That's not what we have here. So 'meh' is right.

I'm sure I'm the worst critic about retail anyway. I'm not a consumer until something breaks or I actually need it.

#123 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:49 PM

flannel boxers

actually that sounds pretty good, I find they are hard to find these days

#124 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:26 PM

actually that sounds pretty good, I find they are hard to find these days

When the first Target stores opened a few months ago in Ontario the reaction was the same. Not at all like the US Target locations and prices and selection sub-standard to even Walmart.

Good luck to them.

#125 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,035 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:00 PM

Thanks Sparky, all is well! London Drugs did not have what I wanted either, so later tonight I ended up at Wally World, losing a piece of my soul in the process, but at least I have new gonch and a clean whiteboard!

Why are Targets shelves so empty I wonder?

I said flannel, but I should have said plaid.. Apologies.

Matt.

#126 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:02 PM

^ :)

#127 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:09 PM

Uh Huh....

Look what was posted by someone here on March 12 2013...

a new coat of paint is spalshed on the place and a new sign put up.
Taget doesnt sell anything spectacular. It will not be like shopping in a US location where you can buy a 8 pack of AA Blue Energizer lithium batteries for $6 ...Nope it is still Canada where that will cost you $40
People get sucked in by what they think is a good thing when in fact its just another store.
There will be huge line ups the first few days to get in to see the same old same old.....

oh? that was me.

#128 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:11 AM

^ my living / dining area is larger then the men's department they put in.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#129 cakeman

cakeman
  • 216 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 07:32 PM

Wow.. First trip there tonite..

Disappointment would suggest that I cared if I liked it.. and Underwhelming isn't strong enough..

Seemed to be more staff than customers, which would be great, if I got the feeling that any of the staff noticed we existed.. we wandered, plainly a little lost, got glances from a 3 that were standing in a 15' area and not a one so much as attempted to offer any assistance..

Many shelves and pegs are empty.. They're attempting to camouflage the fact by spreading single products 1 box deep across long shelves..

.. tried to get some black socks.. found the mens department, found the sock display.. 40 pegs on one side, 8 with product, and all were little ankle running socks, no thanks.

As I wandered out of Mens wear (bottom floor, middle-ish) I heard a customer ask "Excuse me, where are your change rooms?" .. to be told they're on the upper floor, far corner of the building. What?

.. Finally wandered out through the tills with a couple boxes of Kleenex, the entire interaction with the cashier consisting of no eye contact and 1 word .."receipt" as he handed it to me.

Yeah, underwhelming doesnt quite cut it.

cakes..

#130 bluefox

bluefox

ex-Victorian

• 697 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 11:28 PM

Seemed to be more staff than customers, which would be great, if I got the feeling that any of the staff noticed we existed.. we wandered, plainly a little lost, got glances from a 3 that were standing in a 15' area and not a one so much as attempted to offer any assistance..

<snip>

Guess they shouldn't have hired all those Zellers people after all... ;)
(Not the owner of, nor am I associated with, the Blue Fox Café, in any way.)

#131 cakeman

cakeman
  • 216 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 02:21 PM

Guess they shouldn't have hired all those Zellers people after all... ;)

Not going to lie.. the thought did occur to me, hah.. heck, they didnt even have to change the uniforms.. just embroider a new logo..

cakes..

#132 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 02:39 PM

It is a box store. Not sure what people were really expecting from the place. It is certainly better than Zellers which is really all it has to be.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#133 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 02:46 PM

Actually I'm pretty sure it's not better than Zeller's at the moment.

The US version of the store is a serious Wal-Mart competitor, with good clothing, lots of great deals, and a broad selection of stock. The version we're getting up here actually makes me miss Zellers...

#134 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,601 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 02:56 PM

Actually I'm pretty sure it's not better than Zeller's at the moment.

The US version of the store is a serious Wal-Mart competitor, with good clothing, lots of great deals, and a broad selection of stock. The version we're getting up here actually makes me miss Zellers...

(Almost) this; although realistically I was not expecting a clone of the US experience having shopped in Target in half a dozen states, including a Super Target in Omaha which was really off the charts, I was nevertheless not prepared for the letdown when I eventually wound up heading to the Tillicum outlet. Hopefully this is early days yet and they will get their game together. If they don't then they certainly won't be challenging Walmart in this market.

#135 cakeman

cakeman
  • 216 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 03:04 PM

It is a box store. Not sure what people were really expecting from the place. It is certainly better than Zellers which is really all it has to be.

Same as I expect from any new-to-the-scene venture that depends on separating people from their money for its survival..

.. an experience that causes me to use that operation over others in its field..

At the moment its not a box store.. its an empty-box store. I simply figured a company with their experience and financial backing, moving into a new market, would try and make a positive impression.

cakes..

#136 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 10:19 PM

I put out the question on my big FB page today. "What do you think?"

133 comments, 85% negative about it.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#137 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 08:09 AM

I have to really question the marketing here. You open a store that is clearly not ready, provide a lousy first impression, and then people don't go back.

#138 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 08:27 AM

I have to really question the marketing here. You open a store that is clearly not ready, provide a lousy first impression, and then people don't go back.

I agree. Nobody will be lining up for the Hillside opening with the impression they are getting at Tillicum. That can't make other Hillside merchants happy, that are putting up with a lot of hell in their parking lot right now.

Understocking seems so strange. They could have had a few extra trailer-loads handy to make sure this did not happen.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#139 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 11:18 AM

I remember upstairs at Uptown Walmart being bare at first.

I didn't spend a lot of time at Target recently but my first impression was underwhelming after hearing the hype about the American stores for so long. What made them superior to Zellers and other box stores was the exclusive designer products--cool stuff at good prices. I saw none of it on my recent visit. Maybe it will take time for Target to set up a similar program with Canadian designers.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#140 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 11:36 AM

Their target.ca website is also bare bones - empty categories, no search, etc. It's like the whole Canadian Target roll-out is in beta.

Just before we left Escondido CA, we had a new three floor Target open in an old May Company mall location. It was fully stocked opening day.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users