DISCUSSION | 2012 Victoria Federal By-Election | November 26

• Please log in to reply
306 replies to this topic

#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 11:36 AM

As soon as I read up, I'll figure out when this has to be called.

Is it now time for Dean Fortin to move up? Is there any hope for a Liberal candidate? How about another Green seat, they say they are ready for any by-election anywhere in the country.

Or, is there a decent Conservative candidate around?

Intriguing.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 11:50 AM

When are by-elections held? Who calls them?

By-elections are held when seats in the House of Commons become vacant – for example, when a Member of Parliament (MP) resigns. When a seat in the House of Commons officially becomes vacant, the Speaker of the House must inform the Chief Electoral Officer immediately.

The date of the by-election is determined by the Governor in Council (the Governor General, acting on the advice of Cabinet). The by-election must be called between the 11th day and the 180th day after the receipt by the Chief Electoral Officer of the document sent by the Speaker of the House advising of the vacancy. The Canada Elections Act (section 57) specifies that the election period must last a minimum of 36 days; it does not specify a maximum.

http://www.elections...elec&lang=e#a12
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 12:58 PM

Well I hope that there is a reason more substantive than "a few months ago my doctor suggested that I live a more balanced lifestyle" for heaping $100K+ in costs upon the electorate. At least she waited just long enough to be eligible for a pension. I wonder if her life will be balanced enough to run for the Provincial NDP next year?

#4 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 23 August 2012 - 02:45 PM

I think she has done a fine job as my MP and as Deputy Speaker and am glad she has made a rational, mature decision in the best interests of her constituents and herself.

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#5 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 23 August 2012 - 02:53 PM

Nice lady but a classic politician.

Being in opposition & make all sorts of noise but accomplish very little for your constituents.

I wonder if it wil be Dean or Carole? The phones will be ringing off the hook this week!

#6 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 03:03 PM

I think she has done a fine job as my MP and as Deputy Speaker and am glad she has made a rational, mature decision in the best interests of her constituents and herself.

I don't know about you but my expectation is that when someone signs up for a gig then they at least stick with it until the term is over. If she was dying of cancer I would understand, but short of that my expectation is that they don't wait until the 6 yr pension kicks in and then say adios leaving the party and the taxpayer to foot the bill for a bi-election.

#7 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 03:26 PM

I say they do whatever is allowed. We'd all do the same in our jobs to maximize our pensions, even though our pensions are very different from their pensions.

I don't know why these by-elections cost so much. Grab some workers from other departments and have them work for Elections Canada for a few weeks. I know there is an advertising cost etc, but I don't understand extra staff costs.

#8 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 03:35 PM

I say they do whatever is allowed. We'd all do the same in our jobs to maximize our pensions, even though our pensions are very different from their pensions.

I don't know why these by-elections cost so much. Grab some workers from other departments and have them work for Elections Canada for a few weeks. I know there is an advertising cost etc, but I don't understand extra staff costs.

Perhaps it is just me but if I made a commitment to work for 4 years then I wouldn't quit after 2. According to the CBC, the average by-election in Canada costs $892K in 2008. I was off by nearly a factor of 10. Politicians wonder why the average Canadian thinks they are all a bunch of blood sucking leeches.

Election call could cost taxpayers extra millions: Elections Canada - Canada - CBC News

#9 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 03:47 PM

Funny that it took 9 posts before someone mentioned that it is Denise Savoie stepping down.

Victoria MP Denise Savoie steps down for personal reasons

#10 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 05:12 PM

I don't think she owes us a peek into her medical history, if it's serious enough that she's stepping down I'll respect that without demanding proof she's sick "enough" to quit.
Also god damn I hope it's not Dean, it wouldn't be he's too busy being Mayor. I'd sooner vote conservative (ok not really) before I'd vote for him in any situation.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#11 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 05:20 PM

She is 69 years old, if she's going for health reasons, that's ok with me. I don't know why Dean isn't the logical choice, he won the last muni election easy, covering most of the riding. Rob Fleming is not going to move, he's about to become part of government and likely get a cabinet post.

I don't see anything in this map that doesn't say Dean can win. He can win every poll, except Chatham Islands of course, they always vote Green. Hey, there's even a "Mayor Channel"

#12 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 05:32 PM

To be fair if we sent Dean off to ottawa as an opposition MP he'd be far less damaging than as Mayor with actual power here in Victoria.

Sometimes you can promote incompetence away!
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#13 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 23 August 2012 - 06:20 PM

I don't think she owes us a peek into her medical history, if it's serious enough that she's stepping down I'll respect that without demanding proof she's sick "enough" to quit.
Also god damn I hope it's not Dean, it wouldn't be he's too busy being Mayor. I'd sooner vote conservative (ok not really) before I'd vote for him in any situation.

If he runs, I'll run myself against him. Too bad that we'll never send anyone other than NDP MPs to Parliament. Sad, really.

#14 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 07:31 PM

^ We had David Anderson for years. I would like to see Rob go for it he would be a great MP. Though I agree he is looking towards a likely Cabinet post in 8 months. Maybe Dean is too? What if Alan Lowe ran for the Liberals? I would vote for him again.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#15 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 08:15 PM

^ We had David Anderson for years. I would like to see Rob go for it he would be a great MP. Though I agree he is looking towards a likely Cabinet post in 8 months. Maybe Dean is too? What if Alan Lowe ran for the Liberals? I would vote for him again.

Are you saying that you wouldn't vote for me!? :1954_dancing:

#16 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 11:41 PM

I don't know about you but my expectation is that when someone signs up for a gig then they at least stick with it until the term is over. If she was dying of cancer I would understand, but short of that my expectation is that they don't wait until the 6 yr pension kicks in and then say adios leaving the party and the taxpayer to foot the bill for a bi-election.

Seriously? Are you drunk? Would you feel the same if she were your wife or mother? She says her doctor told her to quit. She's almost seventy for pete's sake. This isn't like Sonya Chandler, zipping off to Europe's greener pastures.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#17 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 05:32 AM

Seriously? Are you drunk? Would you feel the same if she were your wife or mother? She says her doctor told her to quit. She's almost seventy for pete's sake. This isn't like Sonya Chandler, zipping off to Europe's greener pastures.

I had said that if she had a serious illness that is one thing, but the press release doesn't say that her doctor told her to quit nor does it make reference to any illness.

Now you can argue that her business is her own and that she has no obligation to give any reasons for leaving mid-term, but neither you nor I went to her home and dragged her kicking and screaming into public life. She chose to do that and collect the fat paycheque and platinum pension that went along with it so she has an obligation to the taxpayer.

#18 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 06:21 AM

^Maybe politicians should swear that they must serve their full terms until say, their cancer reaches stage III or they lose three or more limbs in an accident. There could be a wallet sized card with various maladies they could carry around with containing the criteria in case they're considering quitting.

Alan Lowe as a Liberal candidate is interesting, especially if he could get prominent Libs like David Anderson and Chris Causton behind him. Unfortunately, unlike David Anderson's era, a cabinet post would be a distant dream.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#19 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 07:49 AM

When I heard the "breaking news" on CBC yesterday a reporter said Denise's decision was partly related to Jack Layton's death, which affected her greatly.

But for what it's worth plenty of MPs and politicians in this country are well into their sixties and beyond. In an era where people live in to their late 80s someone who's in his or her late 60's is considered fairly young and capable.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#20 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 08:51 AM

I was out walking the Fugger dogs early this AM and already saw a Conservative campaign sign in Cook Street Village. I saw it from afar and the name looked like Watts or something.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users