• Please log in to reply
509 replies to this topic

#241 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 12:26 PM

Lol, post of the week right there.

Where’s Gord and that award, again? Holden?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#242 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 12:36 PM

Perhaps the name of the completed pub could be The Sir John A @ The Hudson. That aught to be good for several hours of heated debate in the CoV council chambers.  ;)

I'm sure someone will argue that he's already got one local pub, Big Bad John's

post-26-0-53654400-1538595511.gif

• Nparker and Jackerbie like this

#243 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 12:37 PM

That’s it!
  • todd likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#244 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 03:01 PM

Meanwhile the midnight drum circle in front of the 7-11 at Broughton and Government continues unabated.

#245 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,861 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 05:13 PM

the new hudson pub passed with 9-11 hours weekdays and 9-12 hours weekends.

the vote was 6-3 with isitt t-joe and young opposed. young and t-joe were only willing to suppprt it at 9-10 and 9-11pm. isitt was opposed overall due to size (358 seats).

493 nearby residents were mailed information letters and 7 wrote back in opposition and 2 in favour.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 31 January 2019 - 05:16 PM.

• thundergun likes this

#246 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,685 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 05:27 PM

...isitt was opposed overall due to size (358 seats)....

If they had promised to offer free beer for the working class he might have been able raise his hammer and sickle in approval.

#247 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,861 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 05:30 PM

he said at that size it sure didn’t sound like an intimate tapas bar but more like something on an “industrial scale”.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 31 January 2019 - 05:31 PM.

#248 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,685 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 05:41 PM

Was it ever promised to be "an intimate tapas bar"?  :confused:

#249 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 06:33 PM

Meanwhile the midnight drum circle in front of the 7-11 at Broughton and Government continues unabated.

How far is that from downtown?

#250 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 06:39 PM

....he said at that size it sure didn’t sound like an intimate tapas bar but more like something on an “industrial scale”.

I admit I have no idea what "intimate tapas" is.

Regarding the concerns about the size of the establishment, what's the premise there? Large pubs don't belong in Victoria? Or just not in this particular location?

#251 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,685 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 06:53 PM

I admit I have no idea what "intimate tapas" is....

What consenting tapas get up to in private is really nobody's business but their own.

#252 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 10:15 PM

he said at that size it sure didn’t sound like an intimate tapas bar but more like something on an “industrial scale”.

He does know that the stadium across the street seats 7,000 and serves beer, right?

#253 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,861 posts

Posted 01 February 2019 - 08:10 AM

Whistle Buoy will serve taster flights, 14 oz and 20 oz options, as well as local ciders and a select menu of cocktails, as well as soda, kombucha and coffee.

It will also offer light, prepackaged snacks and encourage people to bring in food from local restaurants, or use Skip The Dishes.

https://www.vicnews....ntown-victoria/

#254 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 01 February 2019 - 08:45 AM

Isn’t that in contravention of Helps’ climate emergency to have food delivered order-by-order via car? What happens after year 12 and when the climate emergency will have arrived? Will they install their own kitchen?

Know it all.

#255 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,685 posts

Posted 01 February 2019 - 08:52 AM

While I don't want to give the impression that I support virtually any initiative of the Helps cabal, Skip the Dishes and other food delivery businesses do use bike couriers. I certainly have seen them in Vancouver.

#256 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,861 posts

Posted 01 February 2019 - 08:57 AM

While I don't want to give the impression that I support virtually any initiative of the Helps cabal, Skip the Dishes and other food delivery businesses do use bike couriers. I certainly have seen them in Vancouver.

which is not necessarily more efficient or greenhouse-gas saving if the bike delivery rider is not a vegan especially.

I see 540 kcals quoted as the caloric content of one standard American Big Mac (in Australia, they’re smaller). There are regional variations in price but in general, in the United States a Big Mac costs between $3.29 and $4.10. Big Macs aren’t kosher and I don’t know which part of the spectrum is most common so I’ll just take an average, $3.69.

Eight hundred forty-two point six kilocalories works out to 1.56 Big Macs. At three dollars and sixty-nine cents per, that bike rides going to cost you $5.75.

So in terms of fuel cost, it can be almost three times as expensive to ride a bike as it is to drive a car. There are cheaper bicycle fuels than Big Macs. Before Red Bull, cyclists refueled in the middle of rides with Coke. A twenty ounce Coke is 240 kcals. Those are ninety-nine cents at the corner 7-11. Fueling up with Coca Cola will still cost you three and a half bucks, 75% more than gasoline for the same commute. I suppose you could just eat refined sugar, at the world spot sugar price in September, that would only cost you about six and a half cents, but not many people are going to eat a 1/4 lb. of sugar in one seating.

https://www.thetruth...ent-than-a-car/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 01 February 2019 - 08:58 AM.

#257 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 01 February 2019 - 09:47 AM

Whistle Buoy will serve taster flights, 14 oz and 20 oz options, as well as local ciders and a select menu of cocktails, as well as soda, kombucha and coffee.

It will also offer light, prepackaged snacks and encourage people to bring in food from local restaurants, or use Skip The Dishes.

https://www.vicnews....ntown-victoria/

Was this approved along with the Hudson taproom, or is it still going through the process?

Also, any word on the Moon taproom? They've gone through the mandatory CoV process of waiting at least one year before approval already...

#258 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,861 posts

Posted 01 February 2019 - 09:52 AM

Was this approved along with the Hudson taproom, or is it still going through the process?

the hudson taphouse was also approved.  with a suggestion the outdoor patio close at 10 pm nightly. 

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 01 February 2019 - 09:53 AM.

• thundergun likes this

#259 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 01 February 2019 - 06:23 PM

If they had promised to offer free beer for the working class he might have been able raise his hammer and sickle in approval.

Free beer?  I'll get behind that anytime... :)

#260 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,685 posts

Posted 01 February 2019 - 06:26 PM

Free beer?  I'll get behind that anytime... :)

Commie.  :P

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users