Pubs in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
509 replies to this topic

#381 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,852 posts

Posted 03 July 2020 - 06:29 AM

this could be subtitled "the three karens of oak bay avenue".  i never thought i'd live to see the day oak bay village is compared to new orleans or vegas.  but now that i have i can die contented.

21943838_web1_200624-OBN-ParkingProblems

Owners say loss of parking pushes businesses to the brink

New Penny Farthing patio ‘will be like New Orleans, or Las Vegas’

https://www.vicnews....s-to-the-brink/

A trio of business owners on Oak Bay Avenue say their shops might not recover from the COVID-19 crisis now that four parking spots were removed across the street to make room for a pub patio.

It’s going to be New Orleans or Las Vegas over there with day drinking. “

James pointed to an elderly woman with a dog using a walker to navigate the Oak Bay Avenue sidewalk in front of Maresa Boutique.

“There are 150 others just like her [who live nearby so they can walk into the Village],” James said. “Look at how much trouble she has. And if she wants to be on [the other] side of the street she’ll have to dodge servers, drinkers and diners, and people clearing tables.”

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 03 July 2020 - 06:35 AM.

• GaryRanson likes this

#382 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 03 July 2020 - 06:51 AM

On a day like today it's great to see businesses expanding their services onto roadways.  -_-

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#383 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 03 July 2020 - 04:46 PM

Seems odd they'd want to go out into the street at Penny when they've got a parking lot and alley out back (though down a flight of stairs) they could temporarily expand into instead; an area that would be more sheltered from traffic noise and wind than is Oak Bay Ave and that would cause less disruption.

• Redd42 likes this

#384 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 04 July 2020 - 08:18 PM

What’s the problem with New Orleans?

Edited by todd, 04 July 2020 - 08:25 PM.

#385 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 04 July 2020 - 08:44 PM

Traditionally shops in Las Vegas do very well.

#386 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 04 July 2020 - 10:39 PM

I miss Oak Bay Hardware.

#387 Dexter

Dexter
  • 606 posts

Posted 05 July 2020 - 06:37 AM

No sun in the back. Patios should always face south!

Seems odd they'd want to go out into the street at Penny when they've got a parking lot and alley out back (though down a flight of stairs) they could temporarily expand into instead; an area that would be more sheltered from traffic noise and wind than is Oak Bay Ave and that would cause less disruption.

#388 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 05 July 2020 - 06:50 AM

Even in the southern hemisphere?

#389 Dexter

Dexter
  • 606 posts

Posted 05 July 2020 - 06:55 AM

Ok, due to a technicality, I’ll add “locally” to my statement above

Even in the southern hemisphere?

• Nparker likes this

#390 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 05 July 2020 - 09:48 AM

It’s kind of nice back there(if they move the dumpsters), but haven’t been drinking in an alley since I was a teenager.
  • Daveyboy likes this

#391 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 06 July 2020 - 01:36 PM

Wouldn't need all the patio umbrellas and other shade-generating devices if the patio was shaded most of the time to begin with...

#392 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,852 posts

Posted 23 July 2020 - 05:21 AM

The orders, with guidance from WorkSafe B.C., include a requirement that all patrons have a designated seat, a ban on self-serve liquor and dance floors, as well as measures to reduce lineups and pressure points. Also new is a restriction on hours, with closings at 11 p.m. in recognition that drinking into the night increases the likelihood people will break the rules.

https://www.timescol...ward-1.24174764

you are supposed to find a partner for your home glory hole before 11pm nightly?  people will need to start drinking at 6pm.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 23 July 2020 - 05:22 AM.

#393 exc911ence

exc911ence
  • 757 posts

Posted 23 July 2020 - 08:13 AM

The orders, with guidance from WorkSafe B.C., include a requirement that all patrons have a designated seat, a ban on self-serve liquor and dance floors, as well as measures to reduce lineups and pressure points. Also new is a restriction on hours, with closings at 11 p.m. in recognition that drinking into the night increases the likelihood people will break the rules.

https://www.timescol...ward-1.24174764

you are supposed to find a partner for your home glory hole before 11pm nightly?  people will need to start drinking at 6pm.

No rules against that. Yet.

#394 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,852 posts

Posted 29 July 2020 - 04:30 AM

this reads a bit like an ad for the pub.  maybe pay back for the negative round of publicity the place got re the patio.

Park yourself for a pint on the patio in Oak Bay

https://www.vicnews....tio-in-oak-bay/

It is the only pub on Oak Bay Avenue and one of only two pubs in Oak Bay.

When the Penny Farthing received Oak Bay council’s preliminary approval in June of 2000, there were more supporters at Oak Bay council than there were dissidents. The pub was voted in unanimously. In the months before it was approved, the Oak Bay News ran a mail-in campaign with readers to share their thoughts.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 29 July 2020 - 04:30 AM.

#395 Chef-eth

Chef-eth
  • 30 posts
  • LocationThe High West

Posted 11 September 2020 - 01:24 PM

this could be subtitled "the three karens of oak bay avenue".  i never thought i'd live to see the day oak bay village is compared to new orleans or vegas.  but now that i have i can die contented.

21943838_web1_200624-OBN-ParkingProblems

Owners say loss of parking pushes businesses to the brink

New Penny Farthing patio ‘will be like New Orleans, or Las Vegas’

Do not throw any beads at these ladies

Please!

A trio of business owners on Oak Bay Avenue say their shops might not recover from the COVID-19 crisis now that four parking spots were removed across the street to make room for a pub patio.

Edited by Chef-eth, 11 September 2020 - 01:29 PM.

#396 Chef-eth

Chef-eth
  • 30 posts
  • LocationThe High West

Posted 11 September 2020 - 01:27 PM

Please do not throw any beads! 

#397 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,013 posts

Posted 11 September 2020 - 11:55 PM

Nightclubs and banquet halls closed again. Liquor service (last call) must be at 10 pm and turn down the volume!

https://www.cbc.ca/n...OL_uce4QKWEyi1E

Matt.

#398 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 12 September 2020 - 03:47 AM

I imagine that the next step might be to close down the pubs altogether.if the numbers keep growing which is likely. 

#399 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,852 posts

Posted 12 September 2020 - 03:51 AM

I imagine that the next step might be to close down the pubs altogether.if the numbers keep growing which is likely. 

we'll see.  i think bonnie henry has been told that's not going to happen unless we see a sharp increase in hospitalizations or deaths.

right now we are at 49 hospital and 10 in ICU in all of BC.

at the very least they should regionalize any increased shut-downs like some other provinces have.  we are at 0/0 on vancouver island with only 15 active cases.

"interior region" is the same at 0/0.

dashboard:  https://experience.a...89e3cda29297ded

at our highest level in (april 2) we were at 149 hospitalizations.  our lowest ever was 4 (august 17).

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 12 September 2020 - 04:01 AM.

• Barrrister likes this

#400 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 12 September 2020 - 03:57 AM

I agree that she has been told that further steps are not politically acceptable but there is is a real chance the numbers of hospitalizations could start to seriously climb with the start of school. Lets hope not for everyones sake. 

What does concern me is that the politicians will only lock down again after the horse is out of the barn. 

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users