Pubs in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
509 replies to this topic

#461 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,017 posts

Posted 02 May 2023 - 09:48 PM

Does every single brewery have a restaurant / tasting room now?

If I had spent big bucks on a liquor primary license recently, I’d be pissed.

Every (well, not quite) restaurant is a pub, every brewery is a pub, every distillery and winery and cidery is a restaurant, what’s the point of a pub paying for the LP license?
  • Barrrister likes this

#462 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 03 May 2023 - 07:46 AM

Zero point, more or less.

But technically LPs can still cause more family strife, domestic violence, substance abuse and financial problems for their patrons by selling exclusively hard liquor without any food, so there's that.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#463 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,877 posts

Posted 03 May 2023 - 08:08 AM

But technically LPs can still cause more family strife, domestic violence, substance abuse and financial problems for their patrons by selling exclusively hard liquor without any food, so there's that.

Apart from VV members, have you really seen such dramatics effects on people or society just because a place might not serve food? 

You know the VAST majority of drinking is done at home, right?  Not pubs.

#464 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,017 posts

Posted 03 May 2023 - 10:49 AM

Passed by a giant ad in a transit shelter yesterday, telling us alcohol causes cancer and we shouldn’t drink, but on the other hand the province needs the money and can’t stop us even if they really meant it.

https://the-proof.ca/

#465 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,017 posts

Posted 03 May 2023 - 10:50 AM

They can have gambling, like keno and pull tabs, as well! Yes, maybe it is worth it after all.

#466 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 03 May 2023 - 10:57 AM

Apart from VV members, have you really seen such dramatics effects on people or society just because a place might not serve food? 

You know the VAST majority of drinking is done at home, right?  Not pubs.

The food just slows down the sale of alcohol.

• Matt R. likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#467 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,017 posts

Posted 03 May 2023 - 11:03 AM

Or in the case of a manufacturer license, it allows the sale of full glasses in your “tasting room”.

#468 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 03 May 2023 - 11:50 PM

Pubs should be as common - and as easy to open - as coffee shops.

• aastra likes this

#469 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,877 posts

Posted 09 May 2023 - 03:45 AM

screenshot-twitter.com-2023.05.09-07_42_43.png

#470 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,877 posts

Posted 09 May 2023 - 09:12 AM

From the VV Facebook page:

screenshot-www.facebook.com-2023.05.09-13_11_53.png

• martini likes this

#471 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 10 May 2023 - 11:14 AM

From the VV Facebook page:

More to it...

Other businesses will fill those spots..  Tap House while one of my favourite spots over the years hasn't always been there.  Other places close before them and other will close after...  I will say something will be in there, maybe before summer is over, likely before end of the year.  

Edited by Ismo07, 10 May 2023 - 11:14 AM.

#472 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 10 May 2023 - 02:55 PM

Last time I went to the Tap there was a fly in my drink(when it was brought to the table), they took care of it but it was never clear to me whether they just removed the fly or it was a new drink. Not saying that’s why I didn’t go back but I haven’t been back since

#473 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,877 posts

Posted 10 May 2023 - 03:09 PM

That fly might have been a feature, not a (litteral) bug.

Too bad you never got to know it, and it’s challenges and dreams.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 10 May 2023 - 03:12 PM.

#474 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 10 May 2023 - 03:41 PM

^Just another drunk.

#475 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 11 May 2023 - 08:04 AM

More to it...

Other businesses will fill those spots..  Tap House while one of my favourite spots over the years hasn't always been there.  Other places close before them and other will close after...  I will say something will be in there, maybe before summer is over, likely before end of the year.  

I notice that Cora didn't close down, after sounding the alarm that it would be closing down. Same thing for the tobacconist on Government, it was supposed to close as well.

There's some sort of a watch store coming to Government and Broughton.

I don't know what is in-store for the food and beverage industry. The quality is sliding so fast, because to sell the liquor, the bars need food, and to sell food, it has to be decent enough for people to want to eat it, but the decent cooks are only so many, and they don't stick around a kitchen that doesn't meet their needs.

Mrs. Mike K. was out with a friend yesterday, at a high profile, new establishment downtown, and her friend had to send her meal back because it was so dodgy. Mrs. Mike K. said she won't be having anything there again, food wise, either, because the meal was so lacklustre. So that, I think, is more of a challenge for future operators than simply opening up a bar in a vacant space.

• Matt R. likes this

Know it all.

#476 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 11 May 2023 - 08:09 AM

^ And of course any restaurant that caters to tourists doesn't need to be good since customers won't be back anyways!

Word is that there is another restaurant lined up to replace the Taphouse which as ISMO stated replaced a restaurant before it and at least one before that. 

• Mike K. likes this

#477 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 11 May 2023 - 08:10 AM

I notice that Cora didn't close down, after sounding the alarm that it would be closing down. Same thing for the tobacconist on Government, it was supposed to close as well.

There's some sort of a watch store coming to Government and Broughton.

I don't know what is in-store for the food and beverage industry. The quality is sliding so fast, because to sell the liquor, the bars need food, and to sell food, it has to be decent enough for people to want to eat it, but the decent cooks are only so many, and they don't stick around a kitchen that doesn't meet their needs.

Mrs. Mike K. was out with a friend yesterday, at a high profile, new establishment downtown, and her friend had to send her meal back because it was so dodgy. Mrs. Mike K. said she won't be having anything there again, food wise, either, because the meal was so lacklustre. So that, I think, is more of a challenge for future operators than simply opening up a bar in a vacant space.

Cora was purchased at last minute and had to hire many as other employees found other places to work.  I'm finding food downtown to be very good still.  That new seafood joint on Cormorant and Douglas looks like is getting close finally.  Not that I'm interested in a high end seafood restaurant but it's there.  Papa Moe's re-opening soon too...

#478 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 11 May 2023 - 08:14 AM

Ah, that makes sense regarding Cora.

Yes, lots of good places for food downtown, but the bars are struggling to maintain quality. It can be a real hit and miss pursuit to have a half decent dish at downtown’s bars and lounges. Like it’s getting really bad in some spots that formerly were exceptionally good.

Matt R. can speak to this. It’s a challenge to maintain good staff in kitchens. Demand for them is ultra high.

Know it all.

#479 GaryOak

GaryOak
  • 711 posts

Posted 11 May 2023 - 08:56 AM

I have a feeling that most of those places that don't have the best food offerings would prefer to ditch the food menu entirely, so they end up just putting in the bare minimum to retain their liquor license.

#480 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 11 May 2023 - 09:45 AM

Correct. Eventually that catches up with them.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users